What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Best strain for nerve pain?

actually, i ingest holy anointing oil, vaporize oil and apply a topical version of holy anointing oil (which is truly amazing). all oil products. the last time i did pharma, was with a broken tooth. mmj handles all else.

WelderDan

Veteran
Two ruptured disc, c4/c5 and c5/c6. For me, the best relief I got was from heavy Indica strains. Hash Plant (not Sensi's) seemed to give me the best relief. And it didn't stop the pain, but it did take the edge off. Eating it (I used the Kief from my scuff box on heavily buttered toast) followed by a fat joint and periodic bong rips gave me the most relief.

As I said, it didn't take away the pain, but took the edge off enough that I wasn't miserable.

pop pop

Three related questions:

What (in lay terms) is the difference between 'mechanical pain' and 'chemical pain'?
Which of these are neuropathic pain?
How is it that MJ is effective for this?

I'm just trying to understand this stuff, so thanks ahead of time to any that post a helpful response.

NiteTiger

Tiger, Tiger, burning bright...
Veteran
Three related questions:

What (in lay terms) is the difference between 'mechanical pain' and 'chemical pain'?
Which of these are neuropathic pain?
How is it that MJ is effective for this?

I'm just trying to understand this stuff, so thanks ahead of time to any that post a helpful response.

From what I understand from my doctors, in simple terms, mechanical pain is pain as the result of Movement or structure. Like a bone spur, joint injury, or break. Often, a severe injury like a break, causes discomfort at it's healed join, this is still considered mechanical pain, because it is the result of a physical irregularity impeding proper function, resulting in pain.

Chemical injury is the result of misfiring neurons and receptors. Causes can be anything that a doctor cannot find a physical cause for, at least in my experience :D

Cannabis is effective on a few different levels for pain relief. It relaxes blood vessels, promoting blood flow and easing swelling, which is often sufficient to relieve most minor pains (head aches, back aches, light sprains). Beyond that, I can't remember. I want to say cannabinoids block some pain receptors in the brain, but I can't put a link to the study I'm thinking of right now, so I could be completely wrong.

Other than that, it seems pretty variable, with most studies staticizing anecdotal evidence, ie. "What's your pain level? Smoke this. What's your pain level now?". The thing to note is that no matter the study or study technique, Cannabis is very effective for pain relief. The why of it is defined personally, by your body.

My :2cents:

pop pop

Thanks, NiteTiger, that helps. For neurogenic pain, the cannabinoids blocking receptors makes sense (at least to me).

If I understand you correctly, then a mechanical injury can also result in chemical pain. For example, welder dan's post says he has two ruptured disc which is a physical injury but that pain would result in nerve pain (chemical) accompanied also by some physical pain too I guess.

I always thought pain was just pain... that's why my signature says what it does.

G

guest456mpy

If I understand you correctly, then a mechanical injury can also result in chemical pain. For example, welder dan's post says he has two ruptured disc which is a physical injury but that pain would result in nerve pain (chemical) accompanied also by some physical pain too I guess.
That is the jist of it, Pop pop.

My doctor refers to it as an angry nerve. Over the summer My back went nuts after 70 years of farming and engineering abuse. I don't remember it but my wife told me that when I was admitted to the ER I asked the doc to just kill me the pain was so bad. Did I mention I have pulled my own teeth with no problem?...

At any rate, once the mechanical injury was dealt with I had residual chemical pain due to the nerve's being constantly and severely stimulated. I could not function under opiates, so I asked the Doc if there were any alternatives. He prescribed Gabapentin and cannabis. Together this relieved 99% of the pain. I have weaned myself off of the Gabapentin and now only use Cannabis. Everyone's body chemistry is slightly different, but in my case it was a Chitral Kush variety that worked (Harvested at 75% trichs amber).

Best of luck in everyone's search for relief!

pop pop

Hempguy: Pulled your own teeth? Yikes! You're braver than I'll ever be.

I'm familiar with some Kush strains but have not heard of "Chitral". I'll have to look that one up. Thanks for your post and also for the strain tip.

About the amber trichs being 75%... I've seen posts about different percentages and understand that the medicinal effect can vary depending on this but no one has explained it really. Want to take a stab at it for me?

pop pop

About the amber trichs being 75%... I've seen posts about different percentages and understand that the medicinal effect can vary depending on this but no one has explained it really.

Anyone want to take a stab at it for me?

krunchbubble

Dear Haters, I Have So Much More For You To Be Mad
Veteran
Yeah, concentrates for sure but any recommendations for variety?

im not sure what you mean.......

any kind of bho works for me.....

i have minimum 10 varieties of pot with me at all times and it does not matter what strain it is, pot does not work for me at least....

G

guest456mpy

Krunch,

Iv'e grown my own meds since the 70's so never buy anything. Since I have the option of growing any variety then making my own oil, does strain matter? if so which works best for lower back and sciatic nerve pain, that's all.

:)

RandomNegro

This might be a dumb question.

What makes BHO different than smoking large quantities of the original bud? Besides the efficiency. I have read that pressed hash is different than loose kif, is it a similar effect?

Krunch,

Iv'e grown my own meds since the 70's so never buy anything. Since I have the option of growing any variety then making my own oil, does strain matter? if so which works best for lower back and sciatic nerve pain, that's all.

:)

i am doing strain specific oils. they taste different and most certainly have differents strengths and effects. some are better at pain relief then others. it is my belief the strain specific oil follows characteristically with the strain.

g13 absolute oil did help with pain, but amsterdam flame absolute oil, really kicked it. i used to feel there were so many cannabinoids in oil that it did not matter. with strain specific oil experimentation, i am changing my mind.

This might be a dumb question.

What makes BHO different than smoking large quantities of the original bud? Besides the efficiency. I have read that pressed hash is different than loose kif, is it a similar effect?

i doubt that you will ever be able to smoke as much cannabis as i can ingest in oil form.

as far as difference in effect of pressed verses loose hash, i have noticed no difference. anyone else?

Tudo

Troublemaker
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yes BHO is very effective. I witnessed Chefro's patient go from uncomfortable to talking about feeling the best he has felt in 5 years after 1 dab. :good:

At the risk of illuminating my near rip van winkle knowledge ( but am working hard to catch up :biggrin: ), is BHO the same as Wax? ( the kind of "wax" sold at places like elemental and other dispensaries? This kind of wax?

God_Gift_Wax1_12013.jpg

God_Gift_Wax3_12013.jpg

dddaver

Veteran
Damn, "Rip Van Winkle knowledge". Funny shit!! You just gotta keep a sense of humor about all this, cause without that you can get REALLY lost. That description pretty much fits my own adventures over the past 7 years or so. I was a huge MJ advocate since way back in the day, and even wrote a big paper about decriminalization with foot-notes and bibliography as a junior in high-school way back in 71 or 72. Back then I was also busted twice for possession. Then I dropped it all in the 80s, voted for Ray-gun, joined the Air Force, and raised my family. I just went back almost 7 years ago. A LOT changed in those 20+ years, but not the laws like I saw needed to. Anyway, "Rip Van Winkle like knowledge" fits me too. There is quite a learning curve, buts it's not only fun, but really helpful. Have fun. Keep joking.

I'm not sure about the question, you can Google it or search this site, but I think BHO might stand for Bubble Hash which I think is a production method of making hash. I guess it could mean Butane Hash Oil. I just have this too damn lazy ass stoner type thing or I would look it up for ya. That wax looks like hash, but I assume "wax" is topical, like you rub it on the effected area, whereas hash is usually ingested through eating, vaping, or smoking. You need to be really cautious at most dispensaries I've read. Good on ya for being like that.

The Hatter

Veteran
In my experience its the indicas that are best for nerve pain, or any pain for that matter but don't expect the sort of pain relief you would get from heavy opiods. Cannabis, at least for me, is relatively mild pain reliever akin to a high dose of an NSAID or a low dose of opiods but it comes with the added bonus that you won't become horribly physically dependent on it like an opiod and it won't leave bleeding holes in your insides like the acursed NSAIDs. Seriously watch out for NSAIDs they kill more people than opiate pain meds each year, almost always as a result of GI bleeding.

Latest posts

Latest posts