What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Best source of Potassium Silicate??

watts

ohms
Veteran
How many grams of Agsil 16h do you need to make a concentrated gallon like pro-tekt

Edit: after researching, the answer is 541 grams of Agsil 16h per 1 gallon of solution.

Last edited:

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
You need 560 grams of ag sil per gal of water.

It should per per gallon of solution not gallon of water.

Fill your jug about half way with RO water, then add agsil and finally top off with RO water till you have a gallon of solution.

The other way of adding a gallon of water will give you a solution with a lower concentration of silica and more than a gallon when done.

It should per per gallon of solution not gallon of water.

Fill your jug about half way with RO water, then add agsil and finally top off with RO water till you have a gallon of solution.

The other way of adding a gallon of water will give you a solution with a lower concentration of silica and more than a gallon when done.
once you have the solution mixed, whats the dilution rate for drenching plants and/or foliar feeding?

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
My jar of AgSil 16H says .7grams per gal. of water yields 49ppm Potassium and 98ppm SiO2 or 46ppm Si.

By volume this equates to about 1/4 tsp/gal.

Last edited:

Granger2

Veteran
You can mix your own organic version of Protek and save money. AgSil 16 is from a mined source of Potassium silicate, which like most all rock powders is acceptable for organic production.
http://www.kisorganics.com/products/...ssium-silicate

1 lb=454 gm
560gm AgSil 16 in 1 gal [128 oz]
454gm AgSil 16 in 103.7 oz [3 qt, 7.7 oz] RO or distilled H2O=Protekt. Use 1-2 ml/gal according to Protekt label.
Good luck. -granger

Avenger

Veteran
You can mix your own organic version of Protek and save money. AgSil 16 is from a mined source of Potassium silicate, which like most all rock powders is acceptable for organic production.
http://www.kisorganics.com/products/...ssium-silicate

1 lb=454 gm
560gm AgSil 16 in 1 gal [128 oz]
454gm AgSil 16 in 103.7 oz [3 qt, 7.7 oz] RO or distilled H2O=Protekt. Use 1-2 ml/gal according to Protekt label.
Good luck. -granger

I don't mean to be a nitpick, but.....

Agsil is made from a controlled reaction of a mined quartz with potassium carbonate in a high temp furnace. The only product that is actually OMRI or NOP approved is Sil-Matrix as a Fungicide/Miticide/Insecticide. It is not approved by these governing bodies as a fertilizer.

Now I am not saying it is not acceptable to use AgSil, or any other potassium silicate, in your "organic" program. As I use it in my program.

But it is not approved by any of the major governing bodies. What ever weight their stamp of approval carries, in my world its not a lot.

Granger2

Veteran
Avenger,
I've checked on Sil-Matrix. Yes, labeled for insect/mite/fungal suppression. I'll check further. Other than DE as a soil amendment, it's very hard to find a source. I'll keep using AgSil for now. Thanks for the info. For me it comes down to can I look someone in the eye and say my buds are organically grown. I can and feel OK with it, using AgSil. I'll continue to investigate. Thanks. -granger

D

DoubleDDsNuggs

i just bought some expanded shale for my hydro which releases potassium silicate and favors beneficial bacteria growth in hydro. my plants love it and I've never seen them healthier with plump juicy leaves. it slowly releases silica into the water. the best thing about it is that you can add them as a top dressing to your containers/soil or even use for added drainage like perlite. just make sure to rinse them really good and then do it all over again just in case before using. when your done with them, you can throw them outside in your flowerbeds.

Apache Kush

Bump

---
what is the rule on adding and mixing the Silca ''last'' after all other base nutes ? thx

---
I read other wise it fucks up and sinks to the bottom of resv. and fucks up the ph and locks stuff out etc etc,

----

thoughts on mixing last step..ty

Latest posts

Latest posts