What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Best Live LP Album-Vinyl only please..

DoobieDuck

ICMag Donor
Veteran
DarkStar I'm glad you mentioned the Allman Bros..what about something acoustic? Like "4Way Street" Crosby Stills Nash and Young? Their verson of "Right Between the Eyes" on that was wonderful..DD

CIJohnny

Someotherguy beat me to it with Allman Bros-Live at The Fillmore-that get even the best couchlock a challenge! Oh yea-I was in the army and used to travel from Germany to A-dam on the weekends to hear Focus at the Milkveg-loved that big pillow for seating! Pretty hard to beat Greatfull Dead as well. Cheers

fabvariousk

Veteran
You know that "Frampton Comes Alive" is not a live album.
It was recorded in a studio and the crowd was added like another great fake live album
The MakeUp Live at Cold Rice.
I own a vinyl copy of one of my favorite live records Depeche Mode 101
It is not so much about the band performing but 100,000 fans listening together.

Bozo

Not including all my GD bootleg cassettes .My older brother spent some time in Germany after nam and brought home tons of bootleg vinly .My all time fav was On Blue Berry Hill recorded live in 1970 in La

BlueBlazer

What were we talking about?
Veteran
I'm sure it's been mentioned already, but my all-time favorite live album is Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out ~ Rolling Stones.

H

HippyJohnny

Outlaws - Bring'em back Alive
Lynyrd Skynyrd - One More from the Road
Allman Bros. Live at the Filmore
Judas Priest - Unleashed in the East
The Doors -Live at the Hollywood bowl
Ted Nugent - Double Live Gonzo
Neil Young and Crazy Horse - Live Rust
Led Zepplin - The Song Remains the Same

My all time favorite:
Frank Marino and Mahogany Rush - Live !
:headbange

DoobieDuck

ICMag Donor
Veteran
You know that "Frampton Comes Alive" is not a live album.
It was recorded in a studio and the crowd was added...

Fab I've never heard that before..thanks!
..and thanks Hippy Johnny for reminding me of those friggin fantastic guitar leads on the Outlaws LP..smokin hot. CIJohnny ..Tull..what can one say..saw their performance on Direct TV here recently, had the wifey and I cuddled on the couch, Sansuii crankin and that flute s melodic twists and turns flowin..they are still wonderful, DD

Cry Tuff

Im not big on 'live' recordings but these 3 are some of my favourites.
Little Feat - Electrif Lycanthrope Bootleg
Traffic - On The Road
John Martyn- Live at Leeds

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Jethro Tull!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
'73 while I was in Montreux Switzerland for the Jazz festival I met Claude Nobs (Funky Claude/Smoke on the Water) who told me to go to the Museum Club Discotheque the next afternoon as he'd arranged for Tull to practice there for a couple of hours, no it wasn't recorded to vinyl but sitting there watching Ian & the boys jam just 20 - 30 feet away from me was the coolest live R&R experience I've ever had.......

does anyone know the history of what happened to the Museum Club Discotheque? I can't find any current info on it at all.

go4broke

Focus-Live At The Filmore
Led Zeppelin-The Song Remains The Same
Ted Nugent-Double live Gonzo
Scorpions-Tokyo Tapes
Judas Priest-Unleashed In The East
Ozzy Ozbourne/Randy Rhoads-Bats Head Soup(bootleg)recorded live in Cleveland 1981
Too many more to list.
I'm not sure about the Preist album, it was recorded live, but the vocals were re-dubbed before it's release due to Halfords voice being cashed out. Really like bootlegs use to buy them at Rolling Stones Records in Chicago in the mid-70's. Still got em all safely stored away. Great thread Doobieduck brings back memories of my old man kicking my bedroom door right off the hinges.

Superstone

how about cheaptrick at budukhan?If you're into the Grateful Dead check out 2-26-77 Swing Auditorium,SanBernardino,Colifornia.Got this off archive.org a few years ago.This imho is Jerry's greatest performance!The set list is amazing and it"s the first time for Terrapin live! Sound quality is good.Wish I was there!

S

snoopytime

Other Zappa I luv live would be 'Just Another Band from LA' which includes Billy the Mountain and Magdalena.
Also Zappa's 'Bongo Fury' was live with Captain Beefheart and first album with Terry Bozzio on drums, with such an awesome live track as Muffin Man.

Lastly, 'Zappa in New York' was a 2 record live compilation from 1977, with classics like Titties and Beer, Punky's Whips, and the amazing Brecker Brohters solos on 'Purple Lagoon' which took up the entier last side of the 2nd record.

mrwags

********* Female Seeds
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Not sure if I'm misunderstanding. I believe SRV was sober in his last years. He was connected to the universe in some way that no one else I've ever seen was. There was something legitimately magical about the way he could just channel energy ... seemingly effortlessly.
I saw him play 5 times including the last show on the night of his death. The weather would get all weird when he came around. It was just surreal.:ying:

Darth ty for letting me know that I was mistaken for my time line. The show I saw was 2 weeks b4 his death so obviously I stand corrected.

I will say tho the ONLY time I have ever in my life saw a SINGLE person OWN a stage like he did that night was Tina Turner. Yeah go ahead and make fun but to see that girl live was like going to an all black Baptist Church, when you left your ass knew you had just been to church and Tina made you understand you just saw a bad ass show a legend to say the least.

I like to admit my errors so ty.

Mr.Wags

V

vonforne

James Gang ´71
Led Zepplin The Song Remains the Same
The Who Live at Leeds
Lynynrd Skynyrd One more from the Road
Kiss Alive

Swan Lee

As others have said,any Frank Zappa Live (theres so much :biggrin:) and any Rory Gallagher live,but my fave Live album ever has to be Happy Trails by Quicksilver Messenger Service.

T

toughmudderdave

KISS Alive! Oh yeah.
Johnny Winter...yep

Since my taste in music is varied I'm actually going to throw out 2 live LPs that I enjoyed back in the day

"An Evening With John Denver" and...
Neil Diamond's "Hot August Night"

herbalistRoots

Love a good reason to pore over my vinyl collection & find what live albums I can contribute to DD's great thread. I'm so glad peeps brought the thread back to life :joint:

Churchical Chants of the Nyabingi ~ great one to wake up with

Fillmore The Last Days ~ 3LP's came complete with a ticket beautiful artwork valid Saturday only & $3(!!!) A 331/3 RPM words with Bill Graham. The final Poster - San Francisco June 30- July 4th. The booklet has a complete listing of all the shows held there November 6, 1965 - July 4, 1971

Taj Mahal The Real Thing ~ 2LP's recorded live at Bill Grahams Fillmore East
Love the 18:56 min. You Ain't No Street Walker Mama, Honey But I Do Love The Way You Strut Your Stuff

Richie Havens On Stage ~ 2LP's Recorded at several venues in Cali 1971 & at a music fair on long island 1972

Paul Simon in concert Live Rhymin' ~ Urubamba joins him they're awesome! Loves Me Like a Rock & Mother and Child Reunion are my 2 favorites.

Van Morrison It's Too Late To Stop Now ~ 2LP's recorded Live in concert in LA & London summer of '73 Listen To The Lion is a highlight for me

Hot Tuna Hot Tuna ~ recorded live at the New Orleans House in Berkley 1970. Always liked New song (for the morning)

Fathers And Sons ~ Muddy Waters, Paul Butterfield, Otis Spann, Michael Bloomfield, Donald "Duck" Dunn, Sam Lay & Buddy Miles 2LP's Recorded live at Super Cosmic Joy-Scout Jamboree in Chicago April 24, 1969 great blues!

The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test recorded live San Francisco State College October 1st - 2nd, 1966 Jerry Garcia & Ken Kesey tripping out. big picture of Jerry on the front sticking his tongue ready to be puddled. found it at a small record shop back in IL when I was 17. tag said rare $8.00 wasn't leaving with out it

Blues Brothers Briefcase Full of Blues ~ 1978 recorded live at Universal Amphitheater, LA. John Belushi & Dan Aykroyd's rendition of Groove Me is the best version ever

Gilda Radner Live from New York ~ Recorded live on Broadway at the Winter Garden Theater 1979 Paul Shaffer & G.E. Smith play on it. Candy Slice & the Slicers, If you Look Close, Rhonda Weiss & the Rhondettes Goodbye Saccharine

Pick Hits The John Scofield Band ~ Recorded live at the Hitomi Memorial Hall on October 7, 1987

Rush All the World's A Stage ~ 2LP's Recorded at Massey Hall, Toronto June 11, 12, 13 1976 So much good material

Mahavishnu Orchestra Live Between Nothingness & Eternity ~ recorded in August of 1973 in Central Park

And some of the prior mentions deserve a 2nd that. Woodstock was mentioned but let's not forget Woodstock Two 2LP's and has Jimi, Jefferson Airplane, Butterfield Blues Band, Joan Baez, CSNY, Melanie, Mountain & Canned Heat. There was a mention of Jethro Tull but no album. Living In the Past would qualify it was recorded at Carnegie Hall it has a nice booklet built in the album cover. CSNY 4 Way Street Doubie mentioned 2LP's recorded live at The Fillmore East June 2 -7, 1970, The Chicago Theater July 5, 1970 & The Forum in LA June 26- 28 1970. The Last Waltz 3LP's phenom! Little Feat Waiting for Columbus ~ 2Lp's Don't Bogart That Joint would be the most appropriate mention for the community ;) & since No one mentioned it even though DD said no dead had to throw out Dead Set 2LP's Cali & new York shows

119921701l.jpg

Latest posts

Latest posts