What's new

Best kief box...

Dry sieve rocks

Dry sieve rocks

Dry sieve rocks, though I prefer tumblers as the dense kief fall all the way to the opposite screen while the less dense leaf material stays primarily in the center. Doesn't matter how long I run this tumbler only tan material falls through, never green. It sounds like the same can't be said for manual screening.

PPP

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
Well i received the box today from gypsy nirvana

But it did not contain the screens!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It was just an empty box!!!

Does anyone know if this is normal.

It did not list anything like that on their site.

Any help would be appreciated.

The boxes are sent in 2 packages, (for security reasons) so the screens should show up in the mail any time now.....enjoy.....

The boxes are sent in 2 packages

Cool deal,

I had assumed so but since it was not listed anywhere in the FAQ or on the site i was not sure.

Thank you the box looks great, cant wait for the screens!

Capn

20594Tumbler.jpg

That tumbler looks awesome.
Looks made out 2 instant coffee containers?

C

Chamba

Dry sieve rocks,

Yeah, it sure does...........the reason being is you are isolating the plant's essence in it's purest unchanged form. Petro-chemical extractions melt and change the essence and ice hashing washes away some of the taste and other components that affect the high. Dry sifted hash, especially re-sifted or multi-screened, is the purest form of the unadulterated essence....the other methods, while being purer are missing something or add something to it. Ice hash has a more cerebral, brain hitting high, but is missing something that hard to define, a complexity or fullness is one way to describe it..while butane or alcohol extractions melt the resin heads and seem to leave something in the end result so the high is very potent but sort of foggy and groggy...well to me anyway. For every person that prefers dry sifted hash there are just as many who swear by expertly made butane extractions or very clean Bubble bag made hash.

though I prefer tumblers as the dense kief fall all the way to the opposite screen while the less dense leaf material stays primarily in the center.

When using the same material, with similar sized meshes and a similar action, whether you are tumbling or flat screening, the results will be similar...the only difference is that tumblers are automatic and flat screening requires hand power and so the end result can vary...try gently working the plant material on a flat screen by tapping the screen frame & and gently using a horizontal rotation and the resulting resin will be much purer than any rotating cylinder will produce (with all things being equal)

flat screening is like kneadiing dough with your arms/hands, tumblers are automatic dough mixers..both work really well, but some prefer one or the other. ..tumbling is easier, just load it and come back in 35 minutes, flat screening is a more hands on thing and can take 5 minutes or hours depending on your technique and desired purity.

Doesn't matter how long I run this tumbler only tan material falls through, never green. It sounds like the same can't be said for manual screening

Are you sure???, you make it sound like there's unlimited amounts of resin on the material! if so, I definitely want a clone of that strain!

The fact is, with all things being equal, the reason your flat screen resin has more plant matter in it is due to your technique, not the hardware*...actually, with flat screening the opposite is true and you'll end up with a cleaner kief if you slow down your technique/action and be much gentler than a tumbler (as it rotates at the same speed all the time)

* also note that the ideal mesh for a particular strain you are dry sifting can be slightly more open for a tumbler than the flat screen to get the same results (with all things being equal)..for example 125 mesh with a flat screen will give a similar purity with 122 or 123 mesh on the tumbler..but it's difficult to compare as they are different and the meshes can be switched and with a slightly difference technique, the result would be the opposite.

as I've mentioned before, mesh size is not the most important factor ...a gentle technique and decent starting material is, with the actual mesh size being a close third in line of importance, but it all depends on your whether you are after melty hash or maximum quantity or something inbetween..

Tumblers are easier and excellent and flat screen dry sifting screens, especially when using two, three or four screens are excellent too!

Last edited:

mayan

Atavist
Veteran
Really good thread and good information.

Chamba -> you are a Dry Sift Deity. I've read several of your posts. Alas, at this point, I have a one screen box and bubble bags (although I have to say that I'm preferring the dry sift - so I'm considering a multiscreen box. Haven't decided whether to go with Gypsy, Wikka or Bubbleman.

What I'm interested in is technique...particularly with the one screen (for the time being). Can someone point me to some good threads. I've been reading or searching but I have still have some basic questions like:

1. Do people use bud? Do they grind it? Break it up first? I'm inclined to use buds rather than trim as they are the richest trich source.

2. How efficient is the method? I have been using a card and lightly scraping back and forth but how do you know whether you are getting every last trich or whether you have sufficiently exhausted the psychoactive stuff and are now gnawing at vegetative material? In other words, how does one know when one has reach the point of diminishing returns? And even if reached is there still worthwhile material left? I guess I could always take material that I've been using and but it through bubble bags but I was wondering what the hashoscenti thought?

3) Do you really notice a difference between grades when using the multi screens?

4. Do most people use the "passive" method of collecting - ie. breaking up or rolling it over a screen rather than using the "scrape" method?

Anyhow....thanks for the great read!

Quiet_Riot

Veteran
Mayan: Not that I'm the resident kief-deity, but I would at least break up the buds, or, grind them lightly, remove stems and all that, especially if your screen aint stainless steel, look for example at the O'kief stainless, and then freeze the ground herbs for some hours/half a day, this way more trichs will be likely to fall of, remember, it has to be totally dry if you freeze it.

I too have bubble bags and kif screens. I love them both(and cant leave out BHO)

They all have a time and place imo

1. Do people use bud? Do they grind it? Break it up first? I'm inclined to use buds rather than trim as they are the richest trich source.

Depends on what you are going for

I mostly just take the little scraps of leaves that are left on the bud and tear them off and light rub each side on the screen.

If i am going to go for super high quality and use bud if will just bounce it on the screen, than break it up a little and bounce some more, just kindof moving it around or shaking but very gently just to get things moving.
Then i will save that for the head and to get the very last out of it i will either cook with it or grind it up and do the same thing but very very lightly and i always save the left over leaf to cook with after.

2. How efficient is the method?

Kindof touched on that in the first question, you can always buy a cheap little pocket microscope for about 10usd and use that to see how much plant material is going thru the screen. they are quite handy.

3) Do you really notice a difference between grades when using the multi screens?

YES, but if you are to violent scraping thru the screens you can still end up with poor quality.

It is mostly just patience and trial and error, wont take you more than a day to figure it out!

4. Do most people use the "passive" method of collecting

I collect passively, but i do use a card when working with a bunch of shake or something.

But i never "scrape" just use the card to "move" it around a bit

Believe me i am sure you will get the hang of it.

If you have the money go for a Bubblebox they seem to be the elite edition.

I just got my screens today for the GN box and they are stretched perfectly and the box is superb . for only 110usd for a 2 screen box seems like it will be the shit!!!

Thank you GN! decent shipping to the US, 9 days for everything to arrive.

mayan

Atavist
Veteran
Thanks for the excellent explications, Quiet Riot and lepstadder. I hear ya and actually have sprung for a Bubblebox. (Congrats on yr new GN model. Looks great too!!) I guess I get torn because hash has really become one of my favorite methods of delivery if not THE favorite. I love vaping but I'm not quite sure that I get the same high out of it (VERY subjective, I admit) but at the same time I'm tired of combustion which is probably the most efficient (BHO scares me. Call me a wuss but I'm convinced that I don't want to have "Whoooops...shit!" be my final words.) Too efficient, in fact. I'm not sure whether hashmaking (either ice extraction or dry) is an efficient use of a primo bud. I'd like to believe it is but I have a feeling it isn't. Maybe the bubblebox will do the trick though. Thanks for the tip - I have one of those Radio Shack things.

I love vaping but I'm not quite sure that I get the same high out of it (VERY subjective, I admit)

Ypou must not be using a good vape, or need to work on your technique.

combustion which is probably the most efficient

I beg to differ, smoking may get you more "baked" but vaping will get you more "high" for sure.

I'm not sure whether hashmaking (either ice extraction or dry) is an efficient use of a primo bud

If you are buying it then no, but if you grow just use you little scraps and trim!

Hash is my fave, i love vaping it hot knifing and smoking, the vape is my fave way tho.

Also with the little pocket microscope you can use it to look at the screen and check to see if you need to clean it

mayan

Atavist
Veteran
Thanks for your thoughts, lepstadder. Don't get me wrong...I love vaping as well. I'm just not sure that the "stone" is the same as combusting. It's highly subjective and I'm not sure how I would delineate the difference (if any). I would imagine, however, that there are some psychoactives that don't evaporate at the heat used for evaporators. That being said, I like what you said about getting "baked" rather than "stoned."

BTW...how do you "vape" your hash? Do you do it with other ganja or do you do it as a solo act?

I use a volcano,

I usually add it with some ganj or use the oil pad,

With the oil pad i have kinda ripped it in half and place the stuff inside like sandwiched between and then i crank it up almost all the way

ZOMG GUYZ!

My okief heavy duty tumbler 150g came the other day and i had a chance to run my trim and some nugs through it.

I'm SO medicated on the product Okief has produced.

I just dump nugs in there and rotate for an hour (like the directions say) then scrap up the kief... the kief automatically presses into balls of trichs however, it does not melt... its a stainless steel... the bigger micron one (you can see at their website) i think its 117u or something.

the product is so good... its like just too cool.

it does exactly what i wanted... It took some kief.. but i was still planning on smoking th ebud anyway (it gets me high) and its just the shit.