What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Best K (Kelvin) light value for positive (landrace) sativa effects?

RenaissanceBrah

I've heard that for growing equatorial landrace sativas indoors, people have recommended high Kelvin lights (10,000K, 6500K, etc) to bring out the most positive effects / high in the genetics.
I'm chasing the most positive effect possible, I don't mind low potency and low yield.

Anyone have experience with varying Kelvin values, and how it changed the effect of the sativa?

(Was going to buy LED lights soon, I saw 6500K Kingbrite lights I was thinking of getting. I would get the whole spectrum of lights, but on a budget, was going to buy two 250W 6500K Kingbrites).

hambre

K`s doesn`t affect the "sativa" effects. Grow it like every other varieties. Wavelenght affects the morphology of the plant, different wavelenghts make plants respond different. Effect is determined by genetics, not Kelvins. I grew a lot of sativa landraces (Malawi, Congo, Swazi, Panama, Caribe, even Golden Tiger with 130+ days of flowering, etc) under the 320w Kingbrite QB with 660 nm+UV-IR without any problem.

RenaissanceBrah

K`s doesn`t affect the "sativa" effects. Grow it like every other varieties. Wavelenght affects the morphology of the plant, different wavelenghts make plants respond different. Effect is determined by genetics, not Kelvins. I grew a lot of sativa landraces (Malawi, Congo, Swazi, Panama, Caribe, even Golden Tiger with 130+ days of flowering, etc) under the 320w Kingbrite QB with 660 nm+UV-IR without any problem.

Thanks Hambre. Just curious, what Kelvin was your Kingbrite? Was it 3500K or 3000K?

Thanks Hambre. Just curious, what Kelvin was your Kingbrite? Was it 3500K or 3000K?

Doubt there's a difference past what the factory worker writes on your box.

Light spectrum is probably, no, definitely the last thing anyone should worry about while growing weed. There are photo receptors for all light in Cannabis. Most peoples comparisons boil down to indirect effects, transpiration differences under different temperature bulbs etc. You cant change the leaf temp 15 degrees and blame the light spectrum for the result if the temperature is the variable causing the effect,not the light spectrum.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
Indeed Crusty.

What is the positive effect one is looking for. That might be the better start.

hambre

Doubt there's a difference past what the factory worker writes on your box.

Light spectrum is probably, no, definitely the last thing anyone should worry about while growing weed. There are photo receptors for all light in Cannabis. Most peoples comparisons boil down to indirect effects, transpiration differences under different temperature bulbs etc. You cant change the leaf temp 15 degrees and blame the light spectrum for the result if the temperature is the variable causing the effect,not the light spectrum.

I disagree, spectrum is VERY important when choosing a light. It is definitely not the same having 2700K than 6500K. Different wavelenghts of color will make the plant respond different. Whiy wouldn`t you have it on your priorities when buying a light? It is definitely one of the most important things.

Latest posts

Latest posts