What's new

Best inexpensive LED for small flowering chamber

Gm89

socrates & de145,
did you order direct from bysen? if so, how long did it take for you to receive your lights? thanks.

Socrates

Hey Gm89,

I did, they were friendly and helpful and turned it around very quickly. I had it here in under a week. I like it so far. Bright as hell and seems well made. It is not silent (about as much noise as a PC) and does still put off a little bit off heat, but much less than equivalent wattage of HPS or CFL. I'm not currently growing anything, so I can't give you an unqualified thumbs up, but so far I'm happy with the purchase.

Gm89

Did you get the red one or the Helios style model? I asked them for info/pricing on the Helios models and they replied back with the older red model info. Would you have the pricing on the Helios models? Thanks.

Socrates

Hey Gm89,

I got the Helios style one (blue). It was in the low $200s shipped (I don't have the exact price onhand at the moment, sorry). I am happy with it so far.

Socrates

Since I got the Helios lamp for so cheap, I decided to supplement with a few 15W daylight LEDs (5000k, 1100 lumens each).

picture.php

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I am running 2 tents

T1. Quantum Bad Boy HO T5 + aquarium bulbs; currently 324w (*pic 4 below)

T2. 3 yo UFO 90 (R/B- ~9:1), probably ~ 60 w + several low watt leds (and one cfl) over one of the plants.

At 5 weeks the led tent has significantly outperformed the T5, BUT, the spectral blend was off. Since adjusting it (added more blue) the T5 tent has been making up ground.

It appears that led power is not the be-all. Low watt diodes + wide angle lenses (better still none at all) + spectral balance is the key. White diodes do a much better job of providing that balance
AND low watt 120 degree lenses (or none, which is better) allows the fixture to be that much closer to the plants.

View attachment 185480 View attachment 185481

View attachment 185482 View attachment 185483

Last edited:

vukman

Veteran
the main reason people are disappointed with LED's is because they dont use enough watts compared to hps. i think LED's will allow you to use around 20% less actual power draw than hps.
DONT expect to use half the wattage and get the same results. check the actual power draw of the led fixture before you buy

I very honestly believe that will change once the price and usage of the higher powered (5W+) LED chips start being used. I mean it will obviously get to a point where the plant just cannot handle any more light but we've still to reach that stage.

Once the price drops enough that we start using 10W-20W colours along with the already available whites which are being used to a certain degree, the ratio of the wattage difference between LED and HID will become much more pronounced with the same or very similar growing results.....

BrownThumb

Once the price drops enough that we start using 10W-20W colours along with the already available whites which are being used to a certain degree, the ratio of the wattage difference between LED and HID will become much more pronounced with the same or very similar growing results.....

Do have an educated guess as to when 10/20 watt diodes will be the exception rather than the rule? It seems like Advanced or whoever is using 10 watt whites or something like that, but just a few relative to the 3's for Red's, blues, etc. I have not heard of 20 watt diodes being used, but I don't get out much. I would guess it could be a year or more before there will be any units featuring mainly or exclusively 10 or 20 watt LED's. What do you think?

Socrates

The 15W whites I just added seem to be single diodes. Sumbitches are bright (but they do make it warmer in the cab too, unfortunately).

vukman

Veteran
Do have an educated guess as to when 10/20 watt diodes will be the exception rather than the rule? It seems like Advanced or whoever is using 10 watt whites or something like that, but just a few relative to the 3's for Red's, blues, etc. I have not heard of 20 watt diodes being used, but I don't get out much. I would guess it could be a year or more before there will be any units featuring mainly or exclusively 10 or 20 watt LED's. What do you think?
They are out there...If you go here and check their catalogue, you will see what's available but.........the costs are really out there. For the 'regular' marketplace that is anyway. If you have the money and are into DIY, then that catalogue should help you immensely....German made too so should be pretty damn good, I would think anyway.

I'd say as the prices drop, the chip wattage being used should increase in kind...

Again, as always, only my opinion but judging by the way every other technology has progressed, it only stands to reason the same will apply here.

BrownThumb

DIY is down the road for me ATM, but yeah, I have to admit the idea of creating my own custom unit appeals to me. I was mostly curious what you thought about 10's and 20's being a regular feature of retail level LED lighting units. If the chips are as xpensive as you suggest, it will probably be a while. and then a while more until the general population can afford it. Thanks for the info!

medmaker420

The Aardvarks LED Grow Show
Veteran
I should be testing some 5w's in the coming months and wondering how they will perform compared to the 3w's currently being tested.

10's and 20's sound like a blast to play with but wonder how they would do with canopy distance and bleaching.

vukman

Veteran
I should be testing some 5w's in the coming months and wondering how they will perform compared to the 3w's currently being tested.

10's and 20's sound like a blast to play with but wonder how they would do with canopy distance and bleaching.

I think it will be a gradual rise in wattage. The same as it has been up until now with the only difference I think that now it will be moving along a bit quicker.

Same as applies to "Moore's Law" with processors. Basically states that processor speed will double every 18 months. I believe they've been on track with that for quite some time now although the next step might be a little difficult seeing that they will have to jump to around 6Ghz to keep pace..(approx. estimates)

I'm not saying that LED technology will keep pace with that but looking back 4-5 years and one can see how 'far' the field has come. The chip technology exists although it is predominantly geared towards the 'white light' end of the market. Even so, things can still move ahead with what we have to work with now if the spectrum ratios can be figured out.

Nothing wrong with having 3-5 20W whites with 'x' number of 3W blues and reds...:) Just have to see where it goes....

headband 707

Plant whisperer
Veteran
these were the only guys I could find that talked about medical grade cannabis

these were the only guys I could find that talked about medical grade cannabis

LEDCanada about usROI calcpoliciescontact us Product categories:
Architectural LED Lighting
Commercial & Retail Lights and Bulbs
Commercial LED Fixtures
Industrial LED lights
Kitchen & cabinetry
Landscape & Exterior
LED Horticultural Grow Lights
Marine & RV
Recreational
Residential/Interior LED Lighting
Security, Parking and Roadway LED lighting
Signs & Display

Popular products:
LED Grow Light- PowerBloom GS-PB-6+ 210 watt
LED Wallpack commercial exterior
LED Canopy for Parking and Security
Rechargeable Flood Light 20 watt
Animated LED Strip controlled by IPhone
LED CREE High Bay 150 watt 80-255 VAC

Brands:
AL Light
Brv
GrowthStar
Hybra Energy
LED Canada
LET
LST
Soraa
TRX LED Strip

LED Grow Light- PowerBloom GS-PB-8+ 280 wattPremium LED Grow Lights from LEDCanada LED Grow Light- PowerBloom GS-PB-8+ 280 wattDESCRIPTION: DESCRIPTION: GrowthStar™ "PowerBloom plus" Best LED Grow Lights for dense flowering clusters. Perfect for Home Gardens of all types.

Based on Apollos "tried and tested" LED Grow Light Design, with its proven thermal management, Spectra Mix by "GrowthStar"

We use only the Best 660 nm LEDs (Made in Japan), NOT generic 660-ish! , High-Brightness, 3 watt LEDs Available. Waterproof Low-Voltage 45v DC powered for maximum safety, download PDF for specifications.

5 "color" plus UV (Ultra-Violet), for waxes tars resins, creates complete SIX light spectrum needed for healthy plant growth and flowering. Our "Exact" LED combinations "Enhance Flowering" for you're specific harvests; Tomatoes, Green and Red Peppers, Medical Grade Crops, Coral, Lettuces and Herbs of all types.

Flowering model "PowerBloom" Custom light spectrum ;660nm,-630nm,-610nm,-White(10,000k),-410nm,-460nm

PowerBloom™ "6 spectra**" Designed for "Medical Grade Crops" (equal to 600 watt HID)
Price:
CAD/USD $545.00 --On Back Order -- Call to Reserve now for October 10 th shipment--
*$65.40 HST added to Canadian Orders or * $65.40 Handling Fee (North American orders other than Canada))

*duties not included. (each province/state duty fees different, most incur no charge)

Rugged housing with "Intelligent Control System" input voltage:AC85-264V,output Voltage:<45V DC Full 3 year Warranty

"Ships as Aquarium light"

Reduce Heat Generation--Reduce Fire Risk--Reduce Power Demands--Ultra Quiet Operation-- no Hazardous Materials-- no Glass or Glue-- Modular Assembly allows for easy Repair and Refurbishing

E-mail: - Request more information

World-Wide Wholesale and Distributor Inquiries Welcome http://www.GrowthStarLED.com

Product specifications:
Base type # of LEDs Wattage Light Color Beam Angle Lifetime Warranty Chip Brand Dimmable IP rating
Hanging 120 280 watt 6 spectrum 90 degrees 30,000 3 year Mix no 65
LEDCanada.comAbout Us
Contact Us
Blog
Facebook

LEDCanada.comOrder Information
Faq
Policies
LEDCanada.comPortable LED for Emergency or Temporary Area Lighting
LED Tubes; an End to Mercury Use in the Home and Office
LED Grow Lights that Finally Deliver
How LED Lighting Technology can have the Most Impact
What is LED?
Why some LEDs are not dimmable
SSL (solid-state lighting) 101
Light pollution
Lighting for safety

Bobbo4200

Veteran
I use three of Prosource's 90watt Illuminator UFOs with a 400watt HPS also. Prosource has a few different sizes. You should take a look at the website. They also have a link to an awesome medical grow in Colorado i think it is.
Did you already make a decision?
Have a good one, happy tokin!