What's new

BEST GUARD DOG?

Tuggo

You should have a certain amount of experience with dogs, most importantly with a lot of the mastiff breeds people are suggesting (me included). Fila's, Presa's, Boerbel's and such are not breeds that someone should just up and buy. If someone has little to no experience with Molosser breeds then the pound might be best.

A lot of responsibility and sometime life changes should be met before owning say a Fila. A Mastiff breed that believes it is even close to being numero uno in a home is an accident waiting to happen IMHO. Lets not forget that these are very powerful and very determined, prey driven dogs that we are talking about.

If a dog is cool around children, smaller dogs, or visitors has more to do with the owner than the dog.

Also looking for a good Boerbel breeder in the U.S., had my eye on this breed for a few years.

TopShelf

I think I'm going to get another Rottie or Rottie mix, I know these dogs suit my lifestyle and living situation, and fit the bill as far as keeping the thieves at bay. The mastiffs look great but I'm sure they need more room than I can offer (wouldn't be fair to a dog that size to be confined to a small fenced yard), not to mention the initial price (probably 2,000 or 3,000 dollars) and feeding a dog that large. Thanks for the input guys.:ying:

SELFHEMPLOYED

सदस्य
Veteran
You should have a certain amount of experience with dogs, most importantly with a lot of the mastiff breeds people are suggesting (me included). Fila's, Presa's, Boerbel's and such are not breeds that someone should just up and buy. If someone has little to no experience with Molosser breeds then the pound might be best.

A lot of responsibility and sometime life changes should be met before owning say a Fila. A Mastiff breed that believes it is even close to being numero uno in a home is an accident waiting to happen IMHO. Lets not forget that these are very powerful and very determined, prey driven dogs that we are talking about.

If a dog is cool around children, smaller dogs, or visitors has more to do with the owner than the dog.

Also looking for a good Boerbel breeder in the U.S., had my eye on this breed for a few years.

These are such true words. These dogs are so big and powerful that something a little dog could get away with ends up devastating. Anyone that wants to "love their little baby" and treat it like a toddler should pass. They need strong leadership no questions. I'm not going to lie I learned the hard way and it took months of training to get back on the right track.

Tuggo, pm me for some info on solid breeders. Raspect man k+

vaped

I would again say American Bulldog. My only warning with guard dogs is if you have one you also need a gun. People scope you out before they rob you if your dog looks mean and they still want your shit they just bring a gun and shoot your dog. So I recomend a dog and gun but that brings up a whole different arguement about haveing guns at a grow. Personaly I would do the extra 5 years you get if busted with a firearm because if you dont have one and someone kicks in youre door and they have one who knows they might just shoot you. Now you have to balance the risk of death V.s. an extra 5 years in prison. thats an easy one for me. 3 dogs and I have lots of firepower.

P

planty

Dude please don't buy a fila if you need to ask what kind of guard dog to get..PLEASE. You should gain experience with another breed before you even get the idea of getting a fila

G

guest121295

I have a giant malamute dog and an Austrailian Blue Heeler.They both live outside all year in the north and niether one bites, but I guarantee you that if you were thinking of coming on the property and saw my grumpy malamute, he's only about 135lbs but believe me people don't just "stop by" and I don't have to worry about the big one biting anybody, he just raises hell.The heeler can jump any fence and have her snout up your crotch so quick.I bought the dogs to deter the roaming crackheads and so far not one robbery in 4yrs.I just wanted dogs I could always keep outside no matter how cold to keep an eye on things.The only problem with the malamute is that he eats skunks, possums and coons....:)

kweb1989

get a mastiff!
guarddog.jpg

Pseudo

just do it
Veteran
story 1. my friend had a rott that he thought was pretty bad, my chessie was in the truck and they were growling at each other, he made a smart comment about my dog, i opened the tailgate and within 10 seconds my dog had him by the hip hug, he said my dog was gay, i told him its better to give than recieve
story 2. my other friend had an akita with an attitude, she told me her dog would killlllllll my dog, i let him off the leash and he had that dog pinned by the neck instantly, i pulled him off, she said it was a fluke so i did it again
chesapeake bay retrievers are super loyal, protective, and they can be hornery SOBs, the only fight my dog ever lost was to his brother one time, im not condoning dog fighting but sometimes you need to let 2 dogs settle there differences the alpha way

Leon Brooks

whats it matter? if the cops/bad guys dont like it they will just shoot it. i suggest doggy bullet vest regardless of breed.

kweb1989

dont take me as a smartass but thanks for the correction SelfHemp....

leon makes a good point... just protect our fellow pets more... point well taken buddy:whee:

lost in a sea

Lifer
Veteran
guard dogs were bred for different purposes,,, from perimeter guards like dobermans that bark and dont bite,, or some that guard and will bite like rottweilers,,,,to personal guard dogs, like gs's (although originally actually farming dogs),,

some people use staffies to look hard,, clad them in studs and leather harnesses,,,,and nearly all staffies are softer than butter,,, so those people are complete twats imvho...boxers guard well but aren't intimidating enough,,,mastiffs are ok, not great,,,,but im talking about pure breds, not some crap mongrel bred by some muscle clad psycho that reared em in some shitty make shift kennels in the back garden,,

rottweilers dont all have the best instinct to guard,, since they were bred for agricultural reasons,, some really do take a dislike to strangers though and they are damn intimidating animals,, i would say get a rotty,, and you can trust them with your family,,

when german sheperds go senile they sometimes nearly kill people,, mainly they just go on a rampage,, find a field full of sheep,, and kill as many as they can,,,till the farmer shoots the bugger,,,i know four seperate times this has happend to friends and family,,,,and a couple of ppl over the years reported in the media that have had their faces eaten by their senile gs..what is it with the media and people missing their faces ?

so it would depend on how you want to be protected by your dog,,,,

if you want something to wake up at the slightest sound and boldly run to bark at it,, just to wake you up,,, then most terriers like jack russels,, lakies or borders,, or even yorkies,, or something,,, their all good for that,,,

my dad kept a jack russell in his work van and no locks on the doors,, one guy lost the end of his middle finger from the last joint,,,

i mainly have affenpinschers and mini schnauzers at the moment,,,i used to have irish wolfhounds and they are like jedi's,,, but do eat alot,,and allsorts of others over the years,,

bull terriers make great guard dogs and lovely pets imo

boston terriers are quite good as well,, although are quite small dogs,,

malamutes are big at the moment,, but they get anxiety seperation issues since their a pack dog,, and moult year round,, which sucks if you want it to live indoors...and the noise they can make when they wine is the worst of any dog,,,

Last edited:
F

feral

Caucasian mountain dog. It's like being hit by a freakin 45 at point blank range and honestly will make a pit, etc. look like shit.
One problem.....getting one outta Russia

F

feral

or if your in the states get a Plott hound.
Don't laugh....I've been working professionally with animals since 1998. A true blue Plott bred to hunt is NOT to be messed with. Their used down south a lot to hunt bear and wild hogs and will fight to the death.