What's new

BEST GUARD DOG?

SilverSurfer_OG

Living Organic Soil...
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Well looks like the dog i want is too exy. $3000 per pup plus travel costs to get to mainland because there are no Pyrenean breeders here.

Think a nice black lab will be the compromise.

I had a mate whos black lab would chase and harass the local rottweiler...

that had to have been one special lab to overtake a rottie. i have a dog much smaller than a rot, and she will fuck up any lab, and has a few times, to protect herself. labs are good for the family, thats about it

SilverSurfer_OG

Living Organic Soil...
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yeah this bad boy was a large dog. Must have weighed in around 60kg. Not fat either just bulky and loved to run and chase. I wouldnt mind a shepherd x but dont want a snappy dog with little uns around.

Maybe a goose and goat combo outside the house will be good...

G

Guest1298

i had an english bull terrier for 14 years cracking dog strong till the end...i have owned a few staffys since and none come close to the english bull terrier here is a pic of an english bull terrier from wales cracking dog!!! DankUser
picture.php

moses wellfleet

Veteran
south african Boerboel is the best guard dog ever, it is simlilar to a large bull mastiff: intelligent, affectionate, good with children and an extremely strong instinct to guard its owner and property!

DrFever

Veteran

Tom Hill

Veteran
Searching within particular breeds is an okay start but certainly not the end all be all of the search. Dominance x defense drive often = the highest guard drive. When testing the litter at 7-8 weeks, which pup ends up with the meaty bone (or ball etc you toss into their area) 2+ out of 3 times? Who is the runner up, or the rank dog that has the drive to try and take it away from the more dominant pup? Set these two aside for further testing individually. Roll the pup over with his back on the ground and hold him there in that position with your palm over his chest. We are looking for dogs that fight hardest to get out of this submissive position, they should be squirming/barking/biting at your hand.

After I have been suckered-in by what that book haha on the breed says, this is how I'd test dogs within any litter to find ones with the highest natural potential for this type of work. Then we train them to do it. -T

G

Guest3498

Already have 2 in the family from german working lines! I've heard the czech lines are good too and have tons of drive... They're a bit smaller, no? My parent's dog is actually out of the breed standard in size, clocks in at about 120, in perfect shape, pure german lines. Mine a bit smaller but will probably fill out to about 105. I know bigger isn't always better, but when someone is casing my place and notices the puppy it definitely helps!

groady-ho

as is all-too-common in my life, I succumbed to my
Veteran
my pound hound might not be the biggest dog ever, 145lbs, a great dane and west vriginia coon hound (basically a mastiif) mix but damn he let's no one in the house..has pushed his head threw windows after strangers and when told to guard daddy, that big ass mutt stands over my lap, head ears n hair up scanning the doors n windows for the threat..
give any dog enough love, steak n chicken and you got a good guard dog..teach them to listen and your good to go..watch'em HO!

Tom Hill

Veteran
The Czech dogs are usually a bit smaller (faster). Likely because breeders have focussed on the work first and foremost above all else - like breeding for potency without regard to yield. Unlike these ass-draggers that the US AKC has all but ruined, both the German and Czech lines are usually a bit more squared-up in stature too, as all GSD's use to be.

SilverSurfer_OG

Living Organic Soil...
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Anyone here clicker train?

So far i have trained our mutt (bitch) to sit and wait until we say she can eat her food... not much but its a start. She comes when called and lives on our front porch. Got a great temperament and a scary growl/bark for one so young...

openyoureyes

hey man got a bull terrier, im a fellow ebt man. check out the pic!!:tiphat: :wave:
@ silver surfer....
i have trained him with treats when he was young. but each dog responds differently to each way of training. its just finding the best one which works with your dog ( in which he/she responds too)

i love bull terriers and they always been in my family ( well three generations back) so i have learn't a thing or two over the years. any bull breed is the one as a guard dog tho. but i think the ebt has it all, speed, power, good bark, the looks, loyal, funny, farts, burps, is quite clever. there will never be a dull moment while being in the company of a ebt. they have a stupidly powerfull jaw too, i know for a fact, THEY DO NOT LET GO. in all, i wouldnt or coudnt have any other dog now.....

wisco61

I want one of these

Moscow%20Watchdog-watermarked-1244109624.jpg

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/moscowwatchdog.htm

This breed was created by Moscow dog fanciers who wanted a large, strong watchdog that would be more receptive to taking and following orders. After World War II, breeders began with Caucasian Ovtcharka, which gave it great watch and assertive traits such as wariness and ferocity, and the Saint Bernard to increase the size and strength and a more gentle temperament. As a result, the Moscow Watchdog, possesses the mental and physical attributes desired. No dogs are known outside Eastern Europe, where they are quite popular.

cash4life

I have 2 Rhodesian ridgebacks that are shutzhund trained that would rip that mountain dog apart. Best breed I have ever had as guard dogs but you have to be carful they dont like dark skin. Some are fine with it but all the ones iv ever owned go nuts, but they are all from the same breeder.

OG.Gotti

Veteran
My American Pitbull Terrier that is solid muscle is all I need... He tears coyotes to shreads on my property.. Lock the jaws, shake the head... DONE FOR..