What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Best Durban Poison?

green-genes77

Veteran
Going to "second" this with some elaboration. I've been growing a DP descended (inbred) from Dutch Passion's for a while indoors with okay results due to sluggish flowering. Last year I took her outside for the first time and experienced exactly what is described below. These are easy to process, finish fast outside, are very pathogen-resistant, and have a good long shelf life. The flavor and high are excellent though the yields are only okay.

No it's not a pure landrace variety or anything like that it's a well worked line. It has, as Dutch Passion confirms, some unknown hybridization involved in its past that introduced some WLD traits. Some outdoor:

picture.php

picture.php

DPs version is a very Nice pick, here's why:

In outdoor conditions, it's very mold resistant, ready by mid october, not too many leaves so easy to dry and cure. After 4,5 months of cure you end up with A very strong dough, very tasty.

I shared my personal stash with close friends, They all tried my SSH, Destroyer, UltraSour, Maple Leaf and Durban. All but one of my friendly chose the Durban as best strain.

I know Dutch Passion isn't the best seed seller but their Durban is really excellent when dialed in and bio. It's also a great strain for crosses as it's ready early. I'll tell you next year how the cross with Kali Mist went.
:tiphat:

Dr.Young

K+ vibes
Veteran
I'll post some phenos I found in seedsman soon.. A good bag appeal skunky broader leaf pheno, and a more Durban NLD pheno.

doams

there is that one sativa pheno in DPs Durban with lemon chemical smell you can recognize it at seedling stage look for sativa leaf type its the best durban for clear head psychedelic energetic effect.

most of the time its variation got even small indica purple hard buds phenos its still durban effect but its not the same as that lemon sativa pheno yield sux with that one but you will get atleast hard nugs maybe 1/3rd yield compared to other phenos.

if only they could breed the lemon sativa pheno and stabilize it that would be awesome but maybe its not that easy..

Tipunch

there is that one sativa pheno in DPs Durban with lemon chemical smell you can recognize it at seedling stage look for sativa leaf type its the best durban for clear head psychedelic energetic effect.

most of the time its variation got even small indica purple hard buds phenos its still durban effect but its not the same as that lemon sativa pheno yield sux with that one but you will get atleast hard nugs maybe 1/3rd yield compared to other phenos.

if only they could breed the lemon sativa pheno and stabilize it that would be awesome but maybe its not that easy..
Hi Doams, what kind of flavor, taste and smell are you getting from the Purple pheno?

Dr.King

Veteran
Dave Coulier sells his Durban Poison over at Real Gorilla seeds when they are in stock. He has a whole thread on them and def look legit. I have some they are reg seeds though, can't wait to grow a few when I get more space so I can keep clones. You would have to go other to his thread or message him to ask when they will be back in stock over at the site. They seem to always go purple though and are quality smoke. Those from Dutch Passion don't look to bad man :tiphat:. How's the smoke on them? Happy growing all.

doams

Dave Coulier sells his Durban Poison over at Real Gorilla seeds when they are in stock. He has a whole thread on them and def look legit. I have some they are reg seeds though, can't wait to grow a few when I get more space so I can keep clones. You would have to go other to his thread or message him to ask when they will be back in stock over at the site. They seem to always go purple though and are quality smoke. Those from Dutch Passion don't look to bad man :tiphat:. How's the smoke on them? Happy growing all.

Hows the smoke on dp durban?

first of all its EUPHORIC

As stated before if youre lucky you will get that strong sativa lemon pheno and the effect from this one is speedy vivid very happy energetic trippy psychedelic and strong happy sativa clear head "stay up all night awake" effect.

you can set your alarm at 4am wake up sleepy/tired and when you smoke it its like peak daytime productive motivated speedy happy mind state you are no more tired sleepy no matter how tired sleepy you were before smoking this.

other phenos share that typical clear sativa effect but there is a touch of a stone mixed thing going on and those are not pure energy as that lemon pheno. these are good if you want to get wasted and not be completely in a speedy energetic clear psychedelic trippy awareness wide-awake and clear minded state. you will still be but there is something else that allows you to get f. up if you want to get f. up and its also a bit easyer to get to sleep on these other phenos :D

I would not want to smoke lemon pheno before going to sleep coz you would be laughing your ass off loud during trying to get to sleep and you just cant sleep coz you are tripping balls from that speedy energetic happy grin trippy high haha.

I just want to have unlimited supply from this lemon pheno and I would be so productive and motivated no matter what for me dp durban is the best weed in the universe could not be bothered with anything else this just works for me in every possible way its so good nothing compares to it very happy I found this strain in the beggining and dont have to look for it thanks dp for this one!

edited

Last edited:

CannaZen

Going to "second" this with some elaboration. I've been growing a DP descended (inbred) from Dutch Passion's for a while indoors with okay results due to sluggish flowering. Last year I took her outside for the first time and experienced exactly what is described below. These are easy to process, finish fast outside, are very pathogen-resistant, and have a good long shelf life. The flavor and high are excellent though the yields are only okay.

No it's not a pure landrace variety or anything like that it's a well worked line. It has, as Dutch Passion confirms, some unknown hybridization involved in its past that introduced some WLD traits. Some outdoor:

View Image

View Image

I really like your photro reminiscent of hops would see a cannabis craft beer they afraid . . to be aware. The durban poison were a form of hashplant importation unless recent hybridization. must of caused a stir the resin/potency hit the news. small towns. / spread out.

I want to share cannabis is really alright.

Pineapple_Punch

Veteran
Heard very good things about the High Quality Seeds Durban when it comes to the High, it's a very friendly daytime herb from what i heard. It still exist, but not openly...

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
The early dutch version of Durban poison was also a friendly day smoke like early pearl but the Durban poison from Durban that made the strain famous was potent very different line.

Pineapple_Punch

Veteran
I guess most people here are looking for a friendly special high you could get from the 90's dutch durbans before they went bad, and not for those uber potent stuff.

Guess most people here are too young to know what a real Durban Poison grown in SA should smoke like, me included. If it's heartracing panic inducing stuff i would put it in trash really fast. For example, one of the most terrible smokes i ever had was Nevilles A5 Haze, smoked half of a little spliff and throw the rest in the Amstel river, was way too strong and not enjoyable. When i want to feel bad i would take some real heavy drugs, Weed is something i smoke to feel good and to enhance my mood.

This year i'll try High Quality Seeds Durban, the guy who sends me the Seeds says it has a "crystal clear happy sunshine high without burnout". The bag appeal is bad he means, whispy buds, has a anise smell and represent the dutch Durbans from the 90's before they went bad.

willydread

Dread & Alive
Veteran
I guess most people here are looking for a friendly special high you could get from the 90's dutch durbans before they went bad, and not for those uber potent stuff.

Guess most people here are too young to know what a real Durban Poison grown in SA should smoke like, me included. If it's heartracing panic inducing stuff i would put it in trash really fast. For example, one of the most terrible smokes i ever had was Nevilles A5 Haze, smoked half of a little spliff and throw the rest in the Amstel river, was way too strong and not enjoyable. When i want to feel bad i would take some real heavy drugs, Weed is something i smoke to feel good and to enhance my mood.

This year i'll try High Quality Seeds Durban, the guy who sends me the Seeds says it has a "crystal clear happy sunshine high without burnout". The bag appeal is bad he means, whispy buds, has a anise smell and represent the dutch Durbans from the 90's before they went bad.
HQS was a great Durban Poison, maybe not a landrace, but it was a great sativa with good production, a fantastic flavor of anise, fennel, licorice and a psychedelic high, DP has much more influence indica(in my opinion)....

Pineapple_Punch

Veteran
HQS was a great Durban Poison, maybe not a landrace, but it was a great sativa with good production, a fantastic flavor of anise, fennel, licorice and a psychedelic high, DP has much more influence indica(in my opinion)....

Think they did a good selection from a bigger population before the laws have changed, selected for a friendly high and earliness. Curious how i'll like the smoke, want something to go out and enjoy the nature, walking through the woods and looking for mushrooms. :)

Home-Grown

Cookie Family California growers collective.

Durban Poison is a South African landrace strain known for a spicy nose and an uplifting sativa punch.
F1 is a little different. Its hit is long and stony, more indica than sativa. It has a musty, sweet scent that “lingers in the air,” Luke said, and has a distinct look: So dark it’s almost black, with long red colas.

The collective have not released original copy except in other strains.
I plan to cross a "good?" Durban with GSC for a S1+F1=F2 reaction?

The Duban hybrid (GSC) is back-crossed with another male Durban of partial variation, given source is unlikely to be the same?
If it works as with other strains with F2 reaction, the offspring could be diverse.
Just thinking out aloud at this stage.

Last edited:

doams

Hi Doams, what kind of flavor, taste and smell are you getting from the Purple pheno?

remember this well coz this purple pheno is no anise smell.

its more like intense strong pungent sweet overripe fruits smell in flower

and almost like fresh hot asphalt mixed with overripe fruits @9week plus /hot asphalt oily sweet smell is everpowering that fruit smell/.

its very different from normal phenos and yield is like indica /small hard buds no big sativa colas/ but the effect is still durban but like durban with a bit indica mix effect not that clear headed and pure sativa focused high.

Last edited:

doams

you can still get pure sativa pheno from dp durban its just that dp durban is not stable theres variation..

had 18weeks pheno that one time

took ages to finish also started to flower around 80 days but yield was super big and smoke was most potent from all of them dp durbans

upon snapping dry stems there was that unmistakable sweet skunk smell mixed with spicy anise also theres was a bit purple thing going on but just a bit here and there

dont want to get that 18weeks pheno again..