What's new

Best dehumidifier for around 200$?

cfl...KING

Listen my username is from 07 lol
Veteran
Already have one in my basement but with all the rain we've been getting humidity in the grow room is becoming a concern now that buds are starting to form. High 60s/ low 70s is no good. I do need to set up the current one with a drain tube because it does fill up an shut off a few times a day but I don't see the one I have doing it alone. Basement is like 20x30 ish if I had to guess, that a conservative guess may be slightly wider. Thanks in advance

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
... one of the reasons I don't run during the summer months here is the Maritimes. I have a household de-huey. I hear your plight. I hook a 4" inline fan that exhaust outside the tent, on the 2nd leg of my RH controller. Works like a charm and peanuts... As you I am anal when it comes to proper climate/VPD for the stage of the grow I am at.

cfl...KING

Veteran
... one of the reasons I don't run during the summer months here is the Maritimes. I have a household de-huey. I hear your plight. I hook a 4" inline fan that exhaust outside the tent, on the 2nd leg of my RH controller. Works like a charm and peanuts... As you I am anal when it comes to proper climate/VPD for the stage of the grow I am at.
The dehumidifier I have now is on high constantly and can't get humidity under mid 60s%

Ca++

Is your RH high because it's high outside?
Basements come in many forms. Some are a dry lower level, while others have water coming down the walls.
Do you exhaust air, or recirculate it?

Really need to know the source of the damp, to size it up

cfl...KING

Veteran
Is your RH high because it's high outside?
Basements come in many forms. Some are a dry lower level, while others have water coming down the walls.
Do you exhaust air, or recirculate it?

Really need to know the source of the damp, to size it up
Right now it's outside humidity, under heavy rain it will get some water that comes up thru the floor but that's not the issue right now. I have a sub pump for that scenario. There's no water in the basement walls or floors ect

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
The exhaust from the tent MUST go outside, and the area where the air comes from to enter the lung room is another good place to put a dehuey. My dehuey also puts out heat, so I have to run a window banger AC when the lights are on, so cool dry air from the lung room can be pumped into the tent.

Humidity is my biggest challenge.

Ca++

Mobile split can have it's uses. One box in the basement creates colder drier air. The other box kicks out the heat.
These days permanent install, single room aircon, is plug n play plumbing. No need for the aircon guy to gas it up. Just plug it together.

If you don't need to cooling effect, then adding a heat source after the box, will reduce RH further still.

It's really about getting fresh air in and conditioned before it reaches the plants. While that damp air being extracted, is indeed, extracted.

Do you have a tent? That would be nice isolation from the basement. Which might only appear dry because it's drying into your nice air.

cfl...KING

Veteran
The exhaust from the tent MUST go outside, and the area where the air comes from to enter the lung room is another good place to put a dehuey. My dehuey also puts out heat, so I have to run a window banger AC when the lights are on, so cool dry air from the lung room can be pumped into the tent.

Humidity is my biggest challenge.
Room is vented into the basement the basement has its own exhaust setup with 6" can fan. But with outdoor humidity the air that's being brought in from my 1st floor still has high humidity. Temp in the basement an grow room isn't an issue, it's purely humidity

Ca++

If that 6" can is to the outside world, then that is where your room should be piped to.

A meter of plants does about 7 liters of water in 12 hours. A dehu has a daily rating, so would need to do 14L in 24h. This is outside the scope of most domestic dehu's when operating at 50%rh. You need to take that 7L and blow it out the building while you have it contained. Perhaps your dehu could then concentrate on drying the air the room was taking.

It sounds like the dehu is having to dry the fresh air and the used air. While the 6" is extracting both, and some room air leaves and goes back in.

cfl...KING

Veteran
If that 6" can is to the outside world, then that is where your room should be piped to.

A meter of plants does about 7 liters of water in 12 hours. A dehu has a daily rating, so would need to do 14L in 24h. This is outside the scope of most domestic dehu's when operating at 50%rh. You need to take that 7L and blow it out the building while you have it contained. Perhaps your dehu could then concentrate on drying the air the room was taking.

It sounds like the dehu is having to dry the fresh air and the used air. While the 6" is extracting both, and some room air leaves and goes back in.
I can't put any ducting on the exhaust fan due to pipes being in the way. This isn't my first grow by any means lol.

Solution: 2 dehumidifiers, I borrowed a friend's dehumidifier for proof of concept. With both dehumidifiers running dropped humidity into the mid 50s. I need better ones that take more gallons out of the air. Which is what I'm looking for input on. After this grow it will be fall an I can pump the exhaust from the room into my central air for a more optimal solution

Ca++

From your vocabulary, we are in different trade zones. I know my best dehu is UK designed for the UK market. https://www.meaco.com/products/meacodry-arete-one-25l-dehumidifier-and-air-purifier It does fill and drain, but also has a pumped out feature to send water upstairs. They ask a lot for the pump, but they are under $20 really. It's real bonus is the EC motor. It blows quite quietly and switches speed appropriately. Making it quite good at lower RH, where most units fail.

I can't picture a gap you can get a fan through, but not ducting. I don't think you are prioritising properly. Do you really need these pipes? ;)

cfl...KING

Veteran
From your vocabulary, we are in different trade zones. I know my best dehu is UK designed for the UK market. https://www.meaco.com/products/meacodry-arete-one-25l-dehumidifier-and-air-purifier It does fill and drain, but also has a pumped out feature to send water upstairs. They ask a lot for the pump, but they are under $20 really. It's real bonus is the EC motor. It blows quite quietly and switches speed appropriately. Making it quite good at lower RH, where most units fail.

I can't picture a gap you can get a fan through, but not ducting. I don't think you are prioritising properly. Do you really need these pipes? ;)
They are the shit pipes from the toilets so yes an they can't be moved. They run in front of the cellar window but there was enough room to slide in a board with a 6" hole that the can fan attaches to. There's only about 2" between the fan an the drain pipes.

Call_me_breeze

Dehus lower the RH in 2 ways, by removing moisture and by raising temps. $200 is going to get you a basic, upright, consumer dehumidifier most likely without a pump. Frigidaire 70ppd is probably the best you can hope for finding at that price