What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

best camera under $250?

FirstTracks

natural medicator
Veteran
Hey all :wave:

I'm looking for a new digital camera. price should be $250 or less, but i might be able to flex on that a little.

I've been looking at the kodak z980 and the olympus sp-590 UZ onthe upper end of what i could get. if i could stick closer to $200 that'd be even better.

Requirements:
-good landscape shooting ability
-good macro pictures
-preferably good low-light shooting
-quick action (forgot what its called......from when i click til the shutter opens) so I can get decent moving shots of animals, sports, etc.

I know that's asking a lot, especially for under $250.

I thought some of the many photographers and amature photogs on here could help steer me in the right direction.

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran

wtg on looking at cameras produced by camera companies,
don't buy crap made by HP or any other digital crossover
companies. Nikon, Olympus, Kodak, Canon & Sony are tops.

NOKUY

Veteran
i got 1 for ya...but its expensive.

..also if your not gonna go take pics of freaks in walmart or tractor supply then im not helping.

FirstTracks

natural medicator
Veteran
hey nokuy: is it over $400? how expensive is expensive. i don't have cash for a DSLR...

S4L:thanks. Only non camera company i've looked at is samsung with some great reviews on a ~$200 point and shoot digi.

still gotta be careful even when getting quality names like the ones you underlined. Many of their lower end cams still have many many problems.

FirstTracks

natural medicator
Veteran
this one...but its video...and way more...but great for snowboard and bmx and skate films.

http://www.jr.com/handycam-hdrfx7/pe/SON_HDRFX7/

SONHDRFX7.PNG

Sony HDR-FX7 High Definition Handycam® Digital Camcorder
Up to 1080 Full HD Resolution / 3 ClearVid CMOS Sensors at 1.1 Megapixel Each / 20x Zoom Carl Zeiss Optics / 3.5" LCD / SteadyShot® / 16:9 HDTV Capable

Your price
$1,999.00

haha

just a liiiiiiiittle out of my price range.

NOKUY

Veteran
sorry..i was trying to help tho....for 4am...thats perty good help...lol

G

guest 77721

I just bought an Olympus Stylus 7000, 12 MP, 7x Optical Zoom for under $200. It's got image stablilization and takes super pics. I need a decent point and shoot that I can take skiing and hiking and can be replaced if it gets banged up.

My recent research has Nikon and Cannon as the technology leaders with Olympus and Panasonic with better pricing and similar features. The 12 MP cameras are displacing the 10 MP right now. You can get good deals on a 10 MP as they are being cleared out.