What's new

Best Brand Of Coco Coir Today

Just got a bag of this free to try and I'm a hard core canna only user
It's beating my canna clones by about a 30% ratio so far
Super light and airy!

Here's the skinny from growstone:
Coco Mix

Growstone GS-3 Coco Mix

We sourced the finest coco fiber and blended it with our 100% recycled, 100% American made Growstones. What we created is a mix that can’t be matched. Growstone GS-3 Coco Mix™ is a mixture of Growstones, Coco coir and Redwood fiber with added Mycorrhizae. It’s by far the best coco coir mix available on the market.

What’s so special about our GS-3 Coco Mix?

This mix was specially designed for heavy feeding plants in re-circulating hydroponic systems or run-to-waste container gardens with a unique air-to-water ratio throughout the root zone, allowing for more frequent feeding per day with no risk of root rot.

Sounds like good stuff may be a dumb question but would it be any good for autopots?

Doobie-us

After having read over the thread,it seems most of you use bagged coco.I can't get bagged where I reside,and will have to go with bricked coco.It appears everyone has their favorite for varying reasons,but is there one brand that might not need all the heavy rinsing?I don't mind rinsing,don't get me wrong,just would like to start out with a clean quality product to begin with.

Also,could someone tell me what charging is?Is that just basically adding a light nute mix along with some Cal-Mag?What is the main purpose there?Would you also go lighter on the charging if you are running nute sensitive strains?

Thanks for any advice/help.

Coconutz

Veteran
Whatever anyone does - Just make sure you dont buy hydrofarm bricks of anything!
Those fucking things repel water and dont expand for shit!

Whatever anyone does - Just make sure you dont buy hydrofarm bricks of anything!

Are you referring to the Plant it! Brand by hydrofarm? I love the stuff. I never rinse it. Just add water to expand it, plop in the clone, and water in with nutes. Great results with Plant It! and also Roots. I never rinse either.

stoned40yrs

Ripped since 1965
Veteran
After having read over the thread,it seems most of you use bagged coco.I can't get bagged where I reside,and will have to go with bricked coco.It appears everyone has their favorite for varying reasons,but is there one brand that might not need all the heavy rinsing?I don't mind rinsing,don't get me wrong,just would like to start out with a clean quality product to begin with.

Also,could someone tell me what charging is?Is that just basically adding a light nute mix along with some Cal-Mag?What is the main purpose there?Would you also go lighter on the charging if you are running nute sensitive strains?

Thanks for any advice/help.

Reasons to use loose bagged coco over 5.5kg blocks (screw them little bricks).

1) You don't mind paying double the price.
2) You don't want to do the extra work of hydrating, rinsing and charging.
3) Growing too many plants and using too much coco to make using blocks practical.
4) You live in an apartment or a place where you can't go outside and hydrate, rinse and charge the blocks. You do not want the fine particles in blocked coco going down the drain in your bathtub or any other drain- it will plug them up.

I'm using GH Cocotek 5.5kg blocks now and as far as I can tell with my ph meter and also by sicking my finger into the hydrating water and tasting it, there is not a bunch of salts in Cocotek. Never the less I will continue to rinse it because I don't trust anyone. Total fallacy to think only great coco comes in loose bags. It comes in loose bags so they can hose you for more money by doing your fluffing.
Charging is done after hydrating and rinsing. Let the coco sit in a weak nute solution (10% works for me) with 3-5ml/gal cal/mag, ph it also, for a few minutes and then let the coco drain.

Doobie-us

Stoned40 and Coconutz

Thanks for the advice,much appreciated.I neglected to ask in my initial post,how much coco is in a brick?Might be easier to ask how many 5gal (or 3gal) buckets 1 brick would fill.Or instead,how many buckets would a 5.5 fill,since that is what you use?

stoned40yrs

Ripped since 1965
Veteran
Stoned40 and Coconutz

Thanks for the advice,much appreciated.I neglected to ask in my initial post,how much coco is in a brick?Might be easier to ask how many 5gal (or 3gal) buckets 1 brick would fill.Or instead,how many buckets would a 5.5 fill,since that is what you use?

I don't know anything about the bricks. The 5.5kg blocks when hydrated make about 15 gal. It's beautiful stuff, I can't believe I spent so many years in soil when coco was around:biggrin:

Coconutz

Veteran
Are you referring to the Plant it! Brand by hydrofarm? I love the stuff. I never rinse it. Just add water to expand it, plop in the clone, and water in with nutes. Great results with Plant It! and also Roots. I never rinse either.

cant possibly be the same stuff.
The stuff Im talking about cant be planted directly in without soaking the brick in a tote for a day or two just to get it wet!

DJXX

Veteran
i have used Botanicare's Cocogro since i changed to coco...the 5 kg block in the white plastic...love it......DJXX

Doobie-us

Thanks for the advice everybody.I'm leaning towards the Cocotek,but if it isn't available locally,I'll try the CocoGrow.No sense in buying those little bricks,as that just doesn't add up at all for me.

I somehow thought that a 5kg brick would yield more than 3 5gal buckets,but after having given it some thought,that would be unrealistic to expect that.Lol

the gold label 60/40 is good we use bottom fed system (autopot) always use 60/40 with great results... add extra cal/mag tho cuz coco does leach it abit lol.. not tried the 80/20 sounds good tho dno if it would b suitable for auto pots or maybe better suited for a dripper system or something like that

Dr.RedWhite

Odd, I just got a brick of the Hydrofarm Plant!t, put it in a 27 gallon tote, dumped a hot 8 gallons of full strength ferted, PH'd to 6.5 water in with a the brick, put the lid on and 3 hours later I have a nice coarse batch of coir nearly filling the tote. I should have gone with a bit lower PH but was initially misinformed.

Dr.RedWhite

Hope this works for me, experiment to be run soon.

Snow Crash

Veteran
I'm a big fan of Canna Coco

You know... I want to be a fan. I love their nutrient line. But I swear, every bag I get always has some problem. I've seen 2.2ec in the runoff when fresh. Sticks, nuts, bits of plastic and trash, even grass growing out of it. This grow I have a full blown Springtail infestation in every container and there's really only 1 source in my grow space for that. Their coco.

Honestly. Really. I tried to get on board that band wagon. Seems like everyone else is on it. But I've just never had success with Canna Coco.

I'm going to go back to Botanicare on my next run.

90days

Odd, I just got a brick of the Hydrofarm Plant!t, put it in a 27 gallon tote, dumped a hot 8 gallons of full strength ferted, PH'd to 6.5 water in with a the brick, put the lid on and 3 hours later I have a nice coarse batch of coir nearly filling the tote. I should have gone with a bit lower PH but was initially misinformed.

I use the same stuff. Its worked great for me! Its just a pia to hydrate and flush, but the price is right and you don't have to haul around big bags of media!

Latest posts

Latest posts