What's new

Best Bagged Coco?

John Denco

I want to get a reaonably priced coco mix in the bag, with perlite/vermiculite and other stuff mixed in. What do you recommend and what kind of costs am I looking at? I want to grow in three gallon containers and wondered if you cut the coco mix from the bag even further with perlite or whatever.

I will be handwatering this grow, and learning about ebb and flow in the meanwhile. I have grown before, with soil and coco mixed, years ago.

Ideas?

John Denver Co.

inreplyavalon

breathe deep
Veteran
A lot of the good bagged cocos come as straight coco and you can buy perlite seperately and mix it. A lot if not most folks just use straight coco. Some reputable brands of loose are Canna, B'cuzz, Botanicare.
A few months ago i switched to using only pre flushed Bricks. I attribute most bugs i have had in my garden from hitching a ride in loose bags of coco. I am a bit paranoid about bugs and so i dont buy clones(even though i am in CA) and try and use dehydrated coco to limit my exposure to pests. But thats just me.

Most folks will tell you that three gallons of coco is over kill unless you are growing pretty big sized plants. 3-4 ft bushes or even larger.

Have fun

John Denco

Hey thanks. inreplyavalon. Could I ask what method you use to calculate PH in the coco?
BTW I get you about the size.....I guess that is a lot of coco.

stella blue.

hilbie

bro ive ran botanicare two times, no flush but the initial hydration with a little run of, works for me.

id recomend straight coco, cheap, clean, easy and disposable without being obvious.

inreplyavalon

breathe deep
Veteran
John.
I was taught to only be concerned with PH going into the coco via food and water. The coco is naturally arounf 5.2-6.4 i believe and has been used to cultivate successfully within that range of feeds.

So to be more clear i never have really checked the runoff PH of my coco. I do test the runoff EC to see if it is overferted but that is about it.

Enjoy...stella blue indeed

shaunmulok

Don't drink and drive home, Smoke dope and fly hom
ICMag Donor
Veteran
GH cocotek de-hydrated brick, no bugs, its ph buffered to 6.0 and had micro bacteria, cost $20
i have only purchased canna coco twice and both time came with free gnats lol cost $45
both are 50liters
I have just found a new product that i will be trying next
mvc-004f(30).jpg

A lot of the good bagged cocos come as straight coco and you can buy perlite seperately and mix it. A lot if not most folks just use straight coco. Some reputable brands of loose are Canna, B'cuzz, Botanicare.
A few months ago i switched to using only pre flushed Bricks. I attribute most bugs i have had in my garden from hitching a ride in loose bags of coco. I am a bit paranoid about bugs and so i dont buy clones(even though i am in CA) and try and use dehydrated coco to limit my exposure to pests. But thats just me.

Most folks will tell you that three gallons of coco is over kill unless you are growing pretty big sized plants. 3-4 ft bushes or even larger.

Have fun

I think im either growing in 2-1/2 or 3 gallon pots, ive already got 1 seed (autoflowering easy ryder) in the coco in the 3 gallon pot, is it really over kill? should I pot up, even though its recommended to start auto's in their final pots?

the seed has just shown its taproot so it can easily be moved but id like some opinion's if I can get them in time.

Last grow was with 3 gal pots with botanicare cocogrow, I had to water everyday at the least, during hard flower twice a day. My ladies finished about 40 inches tall.

Dhude

Canna bagged stuff is the choice..about $22 for a 50L bag around here. Personally, I've been using GH bricks for portability, storage, price, etc
You save about 35% on cost using bricks, but if you've ever hydrated/rinsed/nuted a case of bricks, 4 at a time, in close to freezing temps, you'll agree that the extra $7 per 50L is well worth the price to avoid screwing with coco prep for half the day.

Owl Mirror

Veteran
Anyone know of a company that offers FREE SHIPPING ?
This seems to be the what prevents me from going with coco.
I can't find any in the stores near my home so, I need to order over the Internet.
The price for shipping is more than the product costs.

imfrompakiman

i use coco coir from Petco used for reptile bedding, $9 for 3pack brick just have to flush it and measure run off ph any1 else try this?

G

Greyskull

i like canna & bcuzz... the bcuzz has a little bit more air to it but the canna is almost half the cost....

Rolando Mota

i like canna & bcuzz... the bcuzz has a little bit more air to it but the canna is almost half the cost....

Wow, is the canna really cheap or is the bcuzz expensive? At my local shop here in Oregon there's something like a $6 difference.

I did a side by side last run between the two and for the first week or so the bcuzz plants looked a lot better. The canna ones were somewhat yellow and smaller. But by the end they looked about the same as the bcuzz. My guess is bcuzz is buffered more and the canna locks up at first. So I would say bcuzz is better.

The guys at the shop recently gave me a bag of royal gold coco to try out for them. I haven't planted anything in it yet but it looks good.

G

Greyskull

i just get a better deal on it is all... i get it for 17 (retails for 20)
the bcuzz is 30 now...

both are at different shops, too (locally for me)... i go back and forth between the 2 splitting my patronage. just the 17 canna bag is 20 min further to go on the freeways while the bcuzz is down the street 5min and during rush hour hat 10 dollar difference isnt all that..

to be honest i could care less between the 2 in a blind test... straight they both do the same thing for me.

Latest posts

Latest posts