What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Best Alternative To Venting Tent Outside? Would Also Like To Avoid Drilling Holes In Wall/Ceiling

MajorGrindage

I've got everything planned out for my 5x5 tent grow, but this one issue has been holding me back.

If you were able to get everything setup for your tent grow, except for venting outside, how would you remedy this issue?

Im not worried about the smell since i have a carbon filter, but ive always heard that you are supposed to vent outside. I would vent directly into the room if i knew it wouldnt cause problems. The door will always be closed, but its not an air tight room, and the ac runs several times day.

I am also unable to drill holes in the house to vent into a nearby room/the ceiling, but am open to any other ideas.

My tent will be in a fairly large bedroom, and I am able to do pretty much anything except vent outside and drill into the house. I could even set up another tent to vent into if you guys think that is a good option. I can buy dehumidifiers or whatever is necessary. The bedroom does have AC, but the thermostat is in a different room, so it doesnt read the temperature of the bedroom.

Really looking forward to see what you guys have to say!

Last edited:

MajorGrindage

I think you'll be fine
You mean you think i could just vent it directly into the bedroom that the tent is in? And its alright if the windows in the room are always shut as well?

I will be using a HLG scorpion diablo in a 5x5 tent, if that makes any difference.

I saw people mention to always vent outside/into a different room, so i was just worried it would cause humidity/temp issues.

If i can just vent directly into the room that would be perfect.

I really appreciate you!

TheDarkStorm

Try and vent near to the window or a home wall vent or chimney.....and defo dont leave your window closed all the time....otherwise all that hot humid air will cause some serious damp and mould in the room.

goingrey

You mean you think i could just vent it directly into the bedroom that the tent is in? And its alright if the windows in the room are always shut as well?

I will be using a HLG scorpion diablo in a 5x5 tent, if that makes any difference.

I saw people mention to always vent outside/into a different room, so i was just worried it would cause humidity/temp issues.

If i can just vent directly into the room that would be perfect.

I really appreciate you!
Humidity can be an issue depending on how much the AC reduces it.

Can always get a dehumidifier.

TheDarkStorm

If you've got a led and one or two plants it probably wont be too bad...but more plants and warmth your vented air is going to probably need that air pushed out of a closed room some way

MajorGrindage

If you've got a led and one or two plants it probably wont be too bad...but more plants and warmth your vented air is going to probably need that air pushed out of a closed room some way
I will be using a HLG scorpion diablo LED, but i am planning on fitting as many plants as i comfortably can in the 5x5 tent.

Do you think just getting a dehumidifier for the room would be enough, or would the 1 LED with a filled up 5x5 tent cause too much heat as well you think?

I would vent directly into the room if i knew it wouldnt cause problems. The door will always be closed, but its not an air tight room, and the ac runs several times day. The thermostat is in a different room though so i am not able to directly moniter the temperature of the bedroom the tent is in.

Thank you so much for the help!🙏

TheDarkStorm

I know some people used to screw a board onto the wall the window was on....draw the curtain and leave the window open some.....cut a hole into the board and connect the vent to it....no damage to the property.....I think nowdays you can get a plastic cover that sticks to the window wall and the venting connects to that....might be something you want to check out....or if you have a attic hatch near by and the attic is a old style airy attic with air movement and not been converted to a room...you can just screw a board to a open hatch and connect your vent to that....

MajorGrindage

Try and vent near to the window or a home wall vent or chimney.....and defo dont leave your window closed all the time....otherwise all that hot humid air will cause some serious damp and mould in the room.
Ahh alright thats what i was worried about. I was hoping there would be a way to avoid having to open a window since the bedroom isnt airtight and the ac runs a several times day. Leaving the window open all day unfortunately isnt an option for me, so im hoping i can find another way.

So you think at the very least id have to open a window, and vent near one of the home air conditioning vents?

Thank you so much for the help, its much appreciated!

MajorGrindage

Humidity can be an issue depending on how much the AC reduces it.

Can always get a dehumidifier.
I could definitely get a dehumidifier for the room. If thats all ive got to do to make this happen that would be incredible.

The thermostat is outside of the bedroom door, about 15 feet down the hall. So it doesnt directly read the temperature of the bedroom.

Do you think i would end up having to run the ac constantly, since the bedroom door is closed? I just dont want the rest of my basement to be freezing. The tent will only be a 5x5 with 1 led and several plants.

Thanks again for the help!

TheDarkStorm

I know some people used to screw a board onto the wall the window was on....draw the curtain and leave the window open some.....cut a hole into the board and connect the vent to it....no damage to the property.....I think nowdays you can get a plastic cover that sticks to the window wall and the venting connects to that....might be something you want to check
Ahh alright thats what i was worried about. I was hoping there would be a way to avoid having to open a window since the bedroom isnt airtight and the ac runs a several times day.

So you think at the very least id have to open a window, and vent near one of the home air conditioning vents?

Thank you so much for the help, its much appreciated!
Yes...its going to be best....ive seen first hand the results of venting into a home were all the windows were closed. The house was a mess....damp and mould was growing everywere.....the warm air would find the most coolest spots in the house with no air movement and caused bad issues....there was water dripping down the walls..huge patches of mould growing everywhere...one of my mates did it like that...I told him not to....when his grow was finished he had to spend a whole lot of money on antibacterialing and cleaning the walls and remove walls were they had wall paper....then repaint with all anti mould paint...we had to clean all the fittings, change all the curtains and have the carpet washed as it stunk of damp too...its not worth the headache and cost....its best to plan to aviod that...

Ca++

In sealed terms, you might be putting 15L into the air, every 12 hours. So a 30L per 24h dehu perhaps. It will use maybe 400w though, which is considerable for a grow that might use 600w. It's hard to know what the AC will do though. It's going to be taking out moisture, and I don't have a clue how much work it's doing in your location.

I would persist with venting out. Look where you are in the property, and which parts of the property could be vented. Then look at how to get there. Dry walls have holes already, because they are filled with plug sockets and light switches. Floor voids are as good as dry walls for use as duct. If the floor is boards, there is usually a hatch somewhere for pipe access. Perhaps you have a cupboard that's part of the building, thus a smaller ceiling behind a door to chop. A 100mm hole in a room can be covered by a smoke alarm for the occasional inspection. A 150mm hole can be covered by a 3 spot light fitting. If you can't board the window for a fan, then swap the bedroom door for one with a fan in it. Pushing air into a room, will make it move out the window. Even if just open a crack, on the locked latch.

Are you sure you can't get air out that room, to another with better options? You can board over a toilet to use it's vent. Take fires off wall. Blow into well ventilated basements.

I had a mate who regularly looked in my wardrobe because he could smell green in the corner. He was perplexed by it, so I would tell him to have a look. It was dry wall behind it, that formed a duct from the roof above. I had scored and dampened the wallpaper to peel it back and make a hole. It fixed up perfectly, and even a mate that knew I grew, and could smell it, couldn't find it lol

MajorGrindage

In sealed terms, you might be putting 15L into the air, every 12 hours. So a 30L per 24h dehu perhaps. It will use maybe 400w though, which is considerable for a grow that might use 600w. It's hard to know what the AC will do though. It's going to be taking out moisture, and I don't have a clue how much work it's doing in your location.

I would persist with venting out. Look where you are in the property, and which parts of the property could be vented. Then look at how to get there. Dry walls have holes already, because they are filled with plug sockets and light switches. Floor voids are as good as dry walls for use as duct. If the floor is boards, there is usually a hatch somewhere for pipe access. Perhaps you have a cupboard that's part of the building, thus a smaller ceiling behind a door to chop. A 100mm hole in a room can be covered by a smoke alarm for the occasional inspection. A 150mm hole can be covered by a 3 spot light fitting. If you can't board the window for a fan, then swap the bedroom door for one with a fan in it. Pushing air into a room, will make it move out the window. Even if just open a crack, on the locked latch.

Are you sure you can't get air out that room, to another with better options? You can board over a toilet to use it's vent. Take fires off wall. Blow into well ventilated basements.

I had a mate who regularly looked in my wardrobe because he could smell green in the corner. He was perplexed by it, so I would tell him to have a look. It was dry wall behind it, that formed a duct from the roof above. I had scored and dampened the wallpaper to peel it back and make a hole. It fixed up perfectly, and even a mate that knew I grew, and could smell it, couldn't find it lol
Thank you so much for the detailed response. Its incredibly appreciated!

Everything you mentioned sound like great ideas, but unfortunately i have to avoid drilling any holes or leaving the windows open. I wish i could get a setup going like you did with that wardrobe, that sounds awesome haha.

I found dryer vent inserts for windows that actually probably would work because they look very inconspicuous, but my windows crank outwards rather than slide upwards, so i dont think i could make it work with my style of window.

If i am able to get a dehumidifier that can handle it, do you think id be able to make it work by just venting into the bedroom, or do you think i will still have problems with heat and not enough fresh air?

My AC does take some humidity out of the air, and during the summer setting it to 70F usually keeps the basement at 60% humidity. I also keep the Fan mode on 24/7.
The thermostat is outside of the bedroom door, about 15 feet down the hall. So it doesnt directly read the temperature of the bedroom.

Do you think i would end up having to run the ac constantly, since the bedroom door is closed? I just dont want the rest of my basement to be freezing. The tent will only be a 5x5 with 1 hlg scorpion diablo LED light, and several plants.

Thanks again for the help! 🙏

Last edited:

MajorGrindage

I know some people used to screw a board onto the wall the window was on....draw the curtain and leave the window open some.....cut a hole into the board and connect the vent to it....no damage to the property.....I think nowdays you can get a plastic cover that sticks to the window wall and the venting connects to that....might be something you want to check

Yes...its going to be best....ive seen first hand the results of venting into a home were all the windows were closed. The house was a mess....damp and mould was growing everywere.....the warm air would find the most coolest spots in the house with no air movement and caused bad issues....there was water dripping down the walls..huge patches of mould growing everywhere...one of my mates did it like that...I told him not to....when his grow was finished he had to spend a whole lot of money on antibacterialing and cleaning the walls and remove walls were they had wall paper....then repaint with all anti mould paint...we had to clean all the fittings, change all the curtains and have the carpet washed as it stunk of damp too...its not worth the headache and cost....its best to plan to aviod that...
If i didnt have to worry about the appearance from outside the house i would definitely try out screwing a board onto the window like you mentioned. Those dryer vent covers for the windows look perfect, but my windows crank outwards rather than slide upwards, so i dont think i could make it work with my style of window.

If i cant figure out anything else ill definitely try figuring out a way to get some airflow into the room. The situation you described sounds like a nightmare and i definitely want to avoid that haha.

I really appreciate all of the help!

Ca++

If the AC just has one stat, then you may have to cool all rooms, to get the one your interested in cooler.

If the door must be closed, you have a problem, even with a fan at the window. You can't keep extracting, until the room is like the vacuum of space. Air must pass though the room. In one way, out another. That air also brings the co2 your plants are made with. It's not just about heat and RH.

It sounds like you can have the window open, but are unsure how to make it look alright. A slatted blind perhaps. Then instead of a fan at the window, put one at the door.

AC in a basement, makes me think it's hot there. You should get a thermometer and see. Perhaps the aircon will cover the heat of lights and dehu, though the power usage would be getting a bit high to make sense. If you are home while the lights are on, you will make enough co2 yourself. It might work, but a plan in place that will work for sure, would be nice

Astro1

Is it safe to assume you're renting? Or you just don't want to punch holes in walls/cieling? If so here are some suggestions.

1. You could undo and split the current AC vent in the room and fab up a replacement vent with two holes/ports instead of one to replace it, one a passthrough to connect with the existing AC ducting blowing into the room and the other right beside it to vent the tent into the attic/crawl space or wherever is behind the current AC vent. So remove the vent and fab up a replacement vent with two ports. One for the incoming air from the AC and the other to allow you to blow the tent air into the attic crawl space or wherever it is that's behind the current AC vent which is essentially "the outside".

2. An even stealthier/cleaner looking alternative (if you don't want to run a duct from the tent to the vent) might be to just vent the tent into the room (using the room as a "lung room") and then do as described above, but set up a fan in the attic/crawl space to pull air out of the main room. This way the AC vent can look visibly unaltered when observed from within the room the tent sits in. Since you're using an LED there's not going to be that much heat to deal with, Though if you don't clear the room air the heat will saturate so you'll want some exchange as mentioned above by others.

3. Another alternative might be.. (if there is a gap under the door) to fabricate a wide duct out of something like foam presentation board from a crafts store or signage material similar to that which is used by political campaign signage or even sturdy card board that would sit flush with the door gap at floor level and blow air under the gap below the door. So essentially the same principal as blowing outside the window as described, but here you're creating an adapter to take your duct fan ducting from the circular duct to a long rectangular slit. Might not even need to run the full length of the door...maybe 1/3rd of the way at the inside corner of the door so you don't have to step over anything.

4. A 4th method...take the door off, and go to a door supply vendor or even home despite (if it's a standard size) and buy a cheap spare door. This way you can put holes in it how you like and if you need to, you can always just swap the original door if you need to.

Hope this helps

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts