What's new

Best advice on hydro

Greenthumb68

I love deepwater culture. I've grown monster buds in 4 1/2 gallons of water, RO ofcourse , with a rated 20-60 gallon bubbler. I love growing organic, but i grow so many plants that i was building my backyard up with used soil and perlite. With DWC i can walk around with my pump from tank to tank and water my grass with the used solution. A lot less work and i enjoy watching the quick growth.

sunset limited

Veteran
1. Treat your grow like you would a laboratory. Keep everything immaculate.
2. Dial in your environmentals. Water temp is the oft overlooked one here. Be prepared to pony up for that chiller if you can't keep that rez right around 70°F.
3. Clean some more. Hell, clean your water with some peroxide and a uv sterilizer.
5. Attention to detail. The subtlest of things can make the biggest of differences. Listen to your plants. They'll tell you what they want.

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I have more than one, and they are not in any particular order.

- learn actual botany and horticulture. take courses at a university, or meet a botanist that is willing to take a year or more to teach you hands on.

- dont skimp. build your shit right the first time, and build it after a proven system, and make sure your environment is right.

- learn about every product and medium you use. Make sure you use hydroponic mediums how it was specifically designed to use. These are simple scientific systems designed to work optimally one way and variations from the intended mode of operation does not generally lead to success.

- Flood drain is cheap simple and effective. easiest with a high plant count.

- DWC is better for producing big trees and having a low plant count.

- Last but not least. get APTUS FACILITATOR!!!! holy shit that stuff rules.

Crooked8

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I love flood trays. I have a lot of threads that all involve hydro. Flood trays have a huge benefit especially if you're doing standard flood and drain. One pump one way in one way out. Far less places for leaks or issues than buckets. Rockwool imo is the most forgiving hydro medium. It stays moist, for a long time. If your pump dies and you don't realize it, all hope is not lost. I also agree that less can def be more. Dwc, go light nutes because theyre always eating. Flood and drain you can bring it up because they only get hit every so often. Remember, your first attempt will not be as perfect as you can make it. Taking the first run to learn the ropes will pay off. My yields have gone up 50 to 100% since the switch from soil. I just find hydro easier to manage personally.

Hydro has been good to me ;)

G

GMax

yeah and I see the Fasilitator is like $150+ for 250ml?!?!?!? that's outrageous, it better be the awesome !!

how much do you use per gal...?

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
How is FaSilitor different from any other Silicon supplement?

it is not a silicon supplement that is the difference. it is silicic and boric acid used at proper ratios.

silica supplements are just silica rock turned into powder and added to a liquid that keeps it from clumping.

Silicic and boric acids are a byproduct produced naturally in soil but will not naturally occur in a hydroponic medium.

I would love for an American Chemist to design their own version, and make it cheaper. I agree the price is up there, but is has been worth it for sure.

how much do you use per gal...?

I use 3 ml per 5 gallons. you also need an activator, which can be replaced by a combo cheaper products called fulvex and vitamino. that will save you some dough. unfortuanatley though no one other than the APTUS guys are making a proper ratio of a silicic and boric acid additive.

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
^yup. and I double up the facilitator in the first two weeks of flower. Your internode stacking will double to triple. make sure you have room to raise your lights too.

A

AshitMyself

hey man am with crooked8 ebb and flood tables rock i have only used my table once ran into problems and still got 25oz from serious seeds chronic and ak47 and a pops plant...i just change the res every 2 weeks and and check my ec and ph every day...i will have a thread up soon with my new grow all the best on your hydro grows peace

picture.php