What's new

Benefits of Kelp

Scrappy4

Veteran
no offense cc..but your quick to point out the negative about a certian product..jsut cus you use homdepot nutes..be happy..dont rain on other parades...dammit

It takes just a little more effort to buy a bag of kelp meal or alfalfa meal and make a tea than to make one from liquid karma. But your tea would work better and be a lot cheaper. If that effort is not worth better plants, your right it's your choice, but at least now your making an informed choice. What Cootz talked about at least got you thinking I hope.....scrappy

Scrappy4

Veteran
Scrappy - Your kelp tea just have kelp? Add anything else? At what ratios?

I make one with about (I say about because I just use a large handfull) a cup of kelp meal per 5 gallon bucket and one with kelp meal ànd neem meal. Professor Cootz turned me on to the kelp neem tea. It serves as both as nice feed and as bug protection. Gnats in particular. I use it at the start of flower and about 3 weeks in. The kelp meal I use almost anytime up to very late in flower, when my plants get straight water.....scrappy

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
OrganicBuds

I add 1/4 cup of non-preservative Aloe vera......

The ten main areas of chemical constituents of Aloe vera include: Amino Acids, Anthraquinones, Enzymes, Minerals, Vitamins, Lignins, Monosaccharide, Polysaccharides, Salicylic Acid, Saponins, And Sterols.

Amino acids found in Aloe vera include: Isoleucine, Leucine, Lysine, Methionine, Phenylalanine, Threonine, Valine,And Tryptophan. Some Of The Other Non-Essential Amino Acids Found In Aloe Vera Include Alanine, Arginine, Asparagine, Cysteine, Glutamic Acid, Glycine, Histidine, Proline, Serine, Tyrosine, Glutamine, And Aspartic Acid.

Enzymes include Amylase, Bradykinase, Catalase, Cellulas, Lipase, Oxidase, Alkaline Phosphatase, Proteolytias, Creatine Phosphokinase and Carboxypeptidase.

Aloe vera also contains Vitamins B1, B2, B3, B5, B6, and B12 along with Choline, Calcium, Magnesium, Zinc, Manganese, Chromium, Selenium. Additional elements found in Aloe vera include Copper, Iron, Potassium, Phosphorus, And Sodium.

Polysaccharides, Monosaccharides, Lignins, et al.

Probably wouldn't do much good looking for this at Home Depot or even Walmart

Neo 420

Veteran
OrganicBuds

I add 1/4 cup of non-preservative Aloe vera......

The ten main areas of chemical constituents of Aloe vera include: Amino Acids, Anthraquinones, Enzymes, Minerals, Vitamins, Lignins, Monosaccharide, Polysaccharides, Salicylic Acid, Saponins, And Sterols.

Amino acids found in Aloe vera include: Isoleucine, Leucine, Lysine, Methionine, Phenylalanine, Threonine, Valine,And Tryptophan. Some Of The Other Non-Essential Amino Acids Found In Aloe Vera Include Alanine, Arginine, Asparagine, Cysteine, Glutamic Acid, Glycine, Histidine, Proline, Serine, Tyrosine, Glutamine, And Aspartic Acid.

Enzymes include Amylase, Bradykinase, Catalase, Cellulas, Lipase, Oxidase, Alkaline Phosphatase, Proteolytias, Creatine Phosphokinase and Carboxypeptidase.

Aloe vera also contains Vitamins B1, B2, B3, B5, B6, and B12 along with Choline, Calcium, Magnesium, Zinc, Manganese, Chromium, Selenium. Additional elements found in Aloe vera include Copper, Iron, Potassium, Phosphorus, And Sodium.

Polysaccharides, Monosaccharides, Lignins, et al.

Probably wouldn't do much good looking for this at Home Depot or even Walmart

CC is on the money here..... The Alexa Vera acts as a great foilar for immune building. Believe me.... It has already saved me from PM. The powers of what we call weeds can make or break a garden...

J

jerry111165

They sell kelp meal at Home Depot now?

I've noticed different species of kelp.. I wonder which is best?

Ascophylum Nodosum.

Wiki cite:

"Ascophyllum nodosum is a large, common brown alga (Phaeophyceae) in the family Fucaceae, being the only species in the genus Ascophyllum. It is seaweed of the northern Atlantic Ocean, also known as rockweed, Norwegian kelp, knotted kelp, knotted wrack or egg wrack. It is common on the north-western coast of Europe (from Svalbard to Portugal) including east Greenland[1] and the north-eastern coast of North America.[2]"

Uses:

Ascophyllum nodosum is harvested for use in alginates, fertilisers and for the manufacture of seaweed meal for animal and human consumption.[20] It has long been used as an organic and mainstream fertilizer for many varieties of crops due to its combination of both macronutrient, (e.g. N, P, K, Ca, Mg, S) and micronutrients (e.g. Mn, Cu, Fe, Zn, etc.). It also host to cytokinins, auxin-like gibberellins, betaines, mannitol, organic acids, polysaccharides, amino acids, and proteins which are all very beneficial and widely used in agriculture.[21] Ireland, Scotland and Norway have provided the world's principal alginate supply.[22][23]

J

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
Another brown kelp that you might find on a label from the North Pacific is Laminaria digitata which you can compare with the North Atlantic variety that Jerry noted - cite

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
nice suggestion. I have a big ol' aloe vera plant and I didn't even think about vera tea.... nice

when do you typically give them the AV tea?
chief

When I transplant a cutting I make the following tea:

5 gallons of water

1/4 cup kelp meal
1 cup Aloe vera juice
3/4 cup organic Alfalfa meal

I put an airstone (7" x 1.5") attached to a 22 gpm air-pump and let the material bounce around for 24 - 36 hours and drain and strain.

I add 2 tsp. of Dyna-Gro Pro-TeKt (Potassium Silicate) and then I water the soil with this. You're getting 'rooting compounds' from the kelp meal (IAA, IBA, NAA), Aloe vera juice (Salicylic Acid - same compound found in Willow shoots which you've probably seen on forums) and Alfalfa with it's myriad of Secondary Metabolites that facilitate root development and elongation.

I apply this same tea every 10 days or so - nothing ritual. It's about a complete plant food that you could come up with other than adding Comfrey or Stinging Nettle extracts.

Price for 5 gallons of this concoction is less than $1.50 - and I'm using retail pricing on the base ingredients.

$.30 per gallon

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
trichrider

Health food stores are the best place to look - a couple of national brands that you might consider are 'Aloe Vera Farms' (Texas) and 'Lily of the Desert' (Arizona - aloe vera is a member of the Lily family)

But the brand doesn't really matter - it's what preservatives that were used and the one you must stay away from is 'Sodium Benzoate'

Others include any of the following and are usually a combination: Potassium Sorbate, Lemon juice, Citric acid, Ascorbic acid and there's probably a couple of others - just avoid Sodium Benzoate and you'll be fine.

If you have access to live plants then head over to YouTube and there is a plethora of videos on how to extract the juice (aka gel) from the 'fillets' - their term not mine!! LOL

HTH

CC

S

SeaMaiden

I have yet to find an aloe at my local health food shop that doesn't have sodium benzoate in it. Maybe I can get them to order some for me.

Otherwise, I have a *small* aloe, might be able to tolerate getting a half a cup of juice from it. I figured I could use the barley mill, since I don't have a pasta machine to squeeze the leaves through. Rolling pin doesn't seem to work well. The bigger problem is that it can't live outside here, so I have to keep it small enough so as to be able to move it back inside once the freezing weather hits.

G

greenmatter

^^^^^^the Aloe Farms stuff that CC mentioned has potassium sorbate, acsorbic acid and citric acid in it, but no sodium benzoate. got mine at Vitamin Cottage

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
GM

What do you pay for a gallon of Aloe Vera Farms' juice?

That is a VERY fine product - look at the color of the juice: minimally processed

Highly recommended over Lily of the Desert all day long

G

greenmatter

they have gallon bottles on the shelf but i have no idea what the price was. i will probably start picking up a gallon at a time from now on though ......... i have been buying it by the quart, and if i remember correctly those run right around $6.

been drinking a small glass at breakfast for a while now instead of orange juice. lots less sugar in there and lots more good stuff. i always assumed the the ascorbic and citric acid in there was doing a little to replace all the vitamin C that i don't get with the OJ

i will be real careful about reading labels if i am forced to change brands ....... sodium benzoate does not sound like it is good for me or the girls

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
Greenmatter

Aloe vera contains high levels of Benzoic acid which when exposed to air begins to ferment in a matter of a few minutes. Salt is added to arrest this and in that this acid is converted to Sodium Benzoate which most of us injest 15+ times a day when we eat almost any processed food.

There is another way to get pure, unadulterated Aloe vera and that are the concentrated powders which comes in 3 versions - 50XX, 100XX and 200XX

50XX - take 1 gram of Aloe vera powder and mix with 49 grams of water = 50 grams of Aloe vera juice

Same deal with 100XX and 200XX - these powders are available in spray-dried (Mexico) and freeze-dried (Australia)

A kilo of 200XX powder will make 55 gallons of pure, unadulterated Aloe vera juice - but you're still facing the fermentation issue so you only mix what you need for today's project.

Even the product you buy which have some preservative must be stored in the refrigerator.

HTH

CC

G

greenmatter

interesting !!!!! you probably just saved me from a potential stomach ache

i make my own electrolyte brews because there is always a good chance that they will be sitting on the floor of a truck in the sun for a good portion of the day at 120 degrees. i don't add sugars to it for that reason and make up for it (i think) by eating ripe bananas and oranges to pick up the carbs.

i read somewhere that if you give a shit about your health then processed fructose is the worst type of sugar to put in your body even though every sports drink out there is overloaded with it

from what i understand sea salt and baking soda cover the electrolytes that are in most sports drinks. if you want to get fancy you can add potassium citrate, calcium chloride or sodium citrate too ( i get mine from Colorado Scientific Co (303) 777-37770) ........ ASK FOR FOOD GRADE)

$50 worth of basic chems from these guys makes about $1500 dollars worth of gatorade without all the shit sugars and colorants

CC ....do you have a brand name for the powdered aloe so it is easier to track down? i like stuff that i can't ruin by forgetting to put it back in the fridge when i'm done with it

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
greenmatter

I'll be more than happy to pull up the site (I have to dig around a bit - lots of bookmarks!) but the sources I use(d) are commercial suppliers meaning that a kilo is a minimum order.

The pure, human food-grade freeze-dried (Australia) is around $250.00 for the 200XX version. It takes over 200 lbs. to make 1 lb. of the 200XX powder (freeze dried or spray dried)

Just to repeat - on the 200XX you use 1 gram of powder and mix with 199 grams of water giving you 200 grams of pure Aloe vera juice. If you know anything about using Citric or Ascorbic acid to arrest fermentation then that might be an option to consider.

That or purchasing the 100XX which is easier to measure out and the price on a kilo is obviously less than the 200XX and then there's the 50XX - so I'll get the blab sheet from a distributor in Modesto, California which handles several forms of Aloe vera including these specific powders.

I'll be back - CC Schwarzenegger

Latest posts

Latest posts