What's new

Beneficial Insects

h.h.

Veteran
This should be the sticky. It is so much better than my post.
If there was a way it could be merged so the links are retained.

bambi

Most informative thread on unwanted and wanted insects ive ever come across to date,
Good job indeed,

I have but one Word for all Mites/Thrips etc = AVID.

Ive used Avid for 8 years now and never had any complaints health wise for the plant and human consumption aslong as the sprayer is doing there job properly of course
&the only spider mite ive not seen indoors on canna plants is the red European mite, mites don't seem to be very fond of pure or mostly Afghan plants ive noticed over the yrs.

cheers you guys. - b.

a use the chrysor or aphid lion.they work pretty good inside and once yu see them at work ^^ yu understand why lion.they always on mouv a patrol a look for food nyaam nyamm nyaam the thrips!!! work nice !!!thanks mother nature
look my grow link to see some pic

mad thread!!!! a get some new infos

Last edited:

MrTea

some guy
Veteran
One can never be too cautious….The amblyseius are supposed to eat russet, broad and spider mites. Seems kind of like the perfect match with the rove beetle.

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
Great pictorial C4..

I carry a plastic peanut butter jar with me when i walk around my yard which is completely surrounded by the woods...I use it to collect preying mantis', walking stick bugs and any assasin bugs I happen to find....then release them in my garden.

Lady bugs are easy... In the late autumn, they swarm out here, and squeeze aound my window screens to get into my warm house... They gather in the corners of the ceilings of my rooms.
I collect them with a kitchen-match box and tranfer them to tupperware boxes filled with shredded newspaper and a raisen or two... the tupperware box goes into the crisper drawer of the 'fridge, where they kinda hibernate, until about early June when I release many hundreds of them into my veggie garden and my secret garden....

Wow. I wonder if I have predatory nematodes in my dirt. A few weeks ago I had gnats and then poof...gone.

I'm entirely too lazy to even bother trying to kill those things with gnatrol or whatever.

whiteberrieS

With A Black Flag Raised In The Sky
Veteran
:bump:

Ordering my bugs tomorrow...got a case of whiteflies that's gotten out of hand.

Quick poll - ladybugs, green lacewings, or whitefly parasites?

I'm leaning towards the ladybugs because they're alive and get to work right away. Lacewings had some questionable reviews on the website but I think the people just kept em together too long and they ate themselves. I still want to get the parasites but right now I'm looking for the ones that'll start gorging on whiteflies immediately.

So I guess the poll is Ladybug or GreenLacewing? Which one likes whiteflies more, anyone know?

Seaf0ur

Pagan Extremist
Veteran
I'd go with the lacewings, but I'd use a handheld vacuum or a stand vacuum with the wand attached to cut down major numbers first. Stethorus punctillium beetles would likely also assist the cause.

I worked in an aquaponic greenhouse in WY and we used lacewings, aphidius wasps, and predator mites. Watching the wasps do their thing was extremely satisfying in an almost sick way. I wonder how these benny insects would work in an indoor room.

Mikenite69

Veteran
I think captn jacks dead bug brew is labeled to kick whiteflys asses and it's all organic and it works great especially on thrips.

zonderkop

Vendor
Great thread. If you grind up insects and put 'em in your soil mix, any insect will be beneficial because their chitin triggers plant defense mechanisms: strengthening its cell walls and excreting substances to ward off pests and soil pathogens

whiteberrieS

Veteran
I'd go with the lacewings, but I'd use a handheld vacuum or a stand vacuum with the wand attached to cut down major numbers first. Stethorus punctillium beetles would likely also assist the cause.

Lacewings it is :good::tiphat: I was thinking about that last night - got a lil vac somewhere in the garage, it shall be found today. Parasites next week for the ongoing revenge.

I have spinosad Mike - whiteflies are the devil

6375323791_f9e0fd67be.jpg

I bet it was pretty gratifying SpreadHead - especially if you've ever watched the youtube vid of whiteflies laying eggs. It looks just like the Alien queen off the Alien movies so letting the Predator loose for some AVP action is very satisfying I bet. :good:

whiteberrieS

Veteran
Great thread. If you grind up insects and put 'em in your soil mix, any insect will be beneficial because their chitin triggers plant defense mechanisms: strengthening its cell walls and excreting substances to ward off pests and soil pathogens

New transplants have frass in the mix :good:

Latest posts

Latest posts