What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Beneficial herbs to grow with canna for terpenes?

CannaZen

I like terpenes I might smoke them with cannA or consume them with edibles.

I know of anise plants and citrus mint, what about you? I want to have a rad garden going this year.

FletchF.Fletch

420club
Yarrow increases essential oils in its neighbors. Marigolds and Nasturtiums are good companion plants. You can also treat Cannabis as the substitute for Corn in a Three Sisters planting. Traditionally it is Corn, Beans, and Squash.

BOMBAYCAT

Veteran
I am growing Chamomile but the jury is still out if it makes MMJ better. Chamomile is called "the Doctor" plant because it causes other plants to make more resin. It is hard to start as the seeds only need to be 1/2 covered with soil. The first year I babied the few plants that came up. Then we had a wet year and there were so many it was invasive. Then comes a dry year and a lot of it died out. It is very strong smelling and not really good smelling. We will see what happens in the next grow.

goingrey

They sell small citrus trees at garden stores. The leaves and fruit peels are full of fragrant and tasty essential oils. Also you can eat the fruits.

They attract pests like crazy though, already at the store. Quarantine before putting near your plants!

Rico Swazi

I know of anise plants and citrus mint, what about you? I want to have a rad garden going this year.

I know of yarrow, rosemary, lemon balm , basil , comfrey , mullein ,sage , nettle , marigolds, thyme, onion, garlic , peppers , swiss chard , queen annes lace, cilantro dill and parsnip to name a few

20201002_131317.jpg

20201003_074237.jpg

20201005_150853.jpg

20201005_080800.jpg

I heard rad gardens enjoy lots of diversity is why I do it
brings in the beneficials year round

CannaZen

Ok so the ground is grassland with weeds and wild plants sort of. Farmland nearby I'm not sure if the topsoil is leeching over. Used to be forest land and prarie until the 20th century I imagine. The weeds resembles yarrow and is toxic.

Last edited:

St. Phatty

Nothing wrong with having great smelling plants to go with the Skunky smells.

I like Anise myself.

Though the Licorice smelling weeds I'm thinking of grow about 6 feet tall, not the 2 or 3 feet described here.

afghan

Do other plants absorb its decomposition: does it release poisonous compounds into the soil that other plants absorb?
No, other plants won't be bothered by it. Not will they be made poisonous. Be careful around toxic plants and try not even to touch them.

I'd say cannabis helps most other plants such as veggies to grow, probably helps to repel insect pests.

In the Netherlands cannabis used to be planted at the edges of cabbage fields for that reason.

growshopfrank

Veteran
Purely anecdotal but back in my gorilla days i noticed that planting amongst stinging nettles tended to bring out more turps and with many strains it brought out a purple hue.
This is working with a good number of samples over a varied terrain FWIW.

CannaZen

Growing basil's for sure I think they contain the most variation of terpenes other than pot I think basil's are amazing.

Last edited:

Rico Swazi

been growing and making tea blends for myself and others from Tulsi basil, peppermint, nettle, yarrow mullein et al for over a decade. Companion planting has so many benefits to plants insects and people.

20210902_084822.jpg

20210821_160528.jpg

Nettle doesn't need much light indoor to grow proper, anecdotally helped this tomato to be sweeter juicier

20220317_123527.jpg

20220317_123542.jpg