What's new

Beginner help needed

RetroGrow

Veteran
Agree: over watered, & over fed, probably causing PH problem. Also, ditch the RO water and use tap water for it's minerals, mainly calcium.

Med_Mann

No you do not stand corrected, the latter pics are from another grow.

The first pics was quiet obviously showing nitrogen and calcium deficiencies, I just did not bother trying to "guess" the cause of it, just because a plant is showing deficiencies it does not necessarily mean your'e feed is lacking in said element, IT CAN DO, but it could also mean a slew of other things are happening to create the problem. With the little info I had up until my post, any advice correcting "you're" setup would have been a complete guess, and futile. I was just diagnosing the problem, not the cause.

Humidity, 55% RH in veg is fine, but, you will likely notice an improvement if you can up it 10-15 points, for all intents and purposes around the 50% mark for flowering is great, although I know some people that flower at 80%+ RH and grow some of the biggest fastest growing trees I have seen, this is off topic so I won't delve in to it but co2 enriched rooms along with higher humidity's, causing prolonged opening of stomata, makes for sound science.

Something to remember here is that you're plants may have enough of everything they need in their diet but excessive amounts of a single element can make seem to appear their diet is lacking in something else, the grower then tends to add more of said element that the plant seems to be lacking in without correcting or even identifying the underlying problem and them before you know it, you're plants nutrition/micro biology is SCREWED.

If I honestly had to take a quick guess at you're original problem, I would say in order.

1. Over watering/feeding.
Believe it or not water stress is a perfect way to cause a calcium deficiency, another cause that goes hand in hand with this would be excessive phosphorus, phosphorus and calcium do not mix well and cause insoluble compounds, I am not saying the latter part applies to you but I imagine your soilless medium has no mycorrhizae, which means your phosphorus (which your'e bat guano may contain large amounts of) may be having a hard time being broken down and is causing you're (later added) calcium to become insoluble

It gets complex with positive IONS competing for space and NEC values (potential to hold "Exchangeable IONs") in the medium, but the short story is calcium being a positively charged ION is competing against other positively charged IONs, this is what I touched on earlier, i.e. . too much magnesium would make it appear as though you're plants do not have access to enough calcium by decreasing calcium uptake, this is not to be confused with a ph problem causing a lockout, we are talking availability not uptake.

This is also what I mean by when I mention over feeding in the subtitle.

2. PH
You may have had a PH problem or BOTH, PH problem and the problem I wrote about above, whether it was caused by an unbalanced diet or/and over watering.
PH for soilless mediums (pretty much all of them), as far as I am aware of, is much better down at the <6.5 range, most people feel hovering around 6.2, in coco for example, is much better than 6.5-6.8, myself included, from what you wrote sounds like you was letting you're PH wonder somewhat high, which would make some sense.

The pictures of you're latest run look great, they are definitely not the DARK GREEN, near blackish, typical of N toxicity but they are showing an abundance of nitrogen for sure, perhaps next time a little less of the bat guano, you could also try lowering you're PH, NOW, that could help balance things out a little, try hover around 6.2.

gscience maybe im wrong but unlikely the tone at which u explain things makes me feel u really have a grasp on growing i so appreciate u taking the time out to comment and help. much love and respect..

to everyone else i also thank you for your valid input and comments

Green_science

gscience maybe im wrong but unlikely the tone at which u explain things makes me feel u really have a grasp on growing i so appreciate u taking the time out to comment and help. much love and respect..

to everyone else i also thank you for your valid input and comments

Thanks buddy I try to explain myself clearly and concisely.

It is Guys/Ladies like you however that make my rambling feel worth it, to come back and note you're appreciation reminds me why I bother posting on Canna sites, or forums where knowledge/input is shared at all for that matter, so good on you.

Wish you the best, feel free to send me a message whenever you need to.

Good Luck

Med_Mann

Thanks buddy I try to explain myself clearly and concisely.

It is Guys/Ladies like you however that make my rambling feel worth it, to come back and note you're appreciation reminds me why I bother posting on Canna sites, or forums where knowledge/input is shared at all for that matter, so good on you.

Wish you the best, feel free to send me a message whenever you need to.

Good Luck

Great big cool-aide smile i thank you again and sure ill be referring back for ur help and insite i put the new cycle into flower fingers crossed.