What's new

Battle lines drawn in Cali .. Small victory.

wantaknow

ruger 500
Veteran
vta that is prim example of frustration that will cause a civil war ,take what the want like theaves,

vta

Veteran
Attorney General's MMJ Guidelines Change Little

By Lora Hines, The Press-Enterprise
Source: Press Enterprise

California -- Guidelines recently issued by the state attorney general have had little effect on the Inland's regulation of medical marijuana.
Last month, Attorney General Jerry Brown said licensed state cooperatives or less formal collectives are legal under California law. Operators of for-profit storefront dispensaries may be arrested and prosecuted, he said. Brown's opinion is nonbinding.

He issued the guidelines as the San Bernardino County Board of Supervisors decided it would continue efforts to overturn the state's 2003 Medical Marijuana Program Act, also known as Prop. 215. The state has issued a little more than 23,500 medical marijuana cards since 2004, according to the California Department of Public Health.

Earlier this summer, the state's 4th District Court of Appeal in San Diego rejected claims by San Diego and San Bernardino counties that federal statutes outlawing marijuana pre-empt state law. The court also rejected San Bernardino County's argument that issuing medical marijuana identification cards violated the state's constitution.

San Bernardino County spokesman David Wert said Brown's opinion probably would not affect the county's decision to appeal.

"We're asking for clarification on the law," he said. "We're doing this on behalf of the sheriff's department. The county is prepared to abide by any law on the books. The Board of Supervisors has never taken a stance on medical marijuana or even on the cards."

San Bernardino County has not issued any medical marijuana cards.

Riverside County is one of 41 across the state to issue identification cards after patients show proof of residency and a doctor's recommendation. It issued about 300 cards a year, which require annual renewal. The cards cost $153, which funds the medical marijuana program. An ounce of marijuana at a dispensary can cost up to $400.

Despite medical marijuana card availability, Riverside County and almost every city in it has banned marijuana dispensaries. Advocates say there are at least two medical marijuana outlets in Palm Springs.

A Riverside dispensary was raided and closed last week, said Lanny Swerdlow, a registered nurse and longtime cannabis proponent. Riverside police would not discuss it.

Michael Jeandron, spokesman for Riverside County District Attorney Rod Pacheco, said Pacheco has seen Brown's guidelines and is reviewing them. But marijuana dispensaries are illegal in California, Jeandron said.

Medical marijuana opponents say they think Brown's opinion indicates support for drug legalization. The Inland Valley Drug Free Community Coalition, a Rancho Cucamonga organization that includes parents and law enforcement, recently sent Brown a letter, asking him to back San Bernardino County's court battle. The group also wants Brown to support communities' right to ban marijuana dispensaries.

"It appears he is siding with the drug legalization groups," said coalition spokesman Roger Anderson. "What we want is for Brown to back off from his guidelines to law enforcement. They've made drug trafficking and drug dealing in California legal."

Brown's spokeswoman, Christine Gasparac, disagreed.

"The guidelines were written with input from law enforcement and patient advocates," she said. "Prop. 215 is the law in California. The guidelines really are meant to clarify how to use medical marijuana. We're not taking sides on this."

Swerdlow called Brown's guidelines workable, but he said he doesn't think Inland law enforcement officials will consider them. He said local officials repeatedly had ignored requests to discuss interpretation of the state's medical marijuana law before Brown issued his opinion.

Patients would like assurances that they won't be prosecuted if they grow enough plants to supply small groups, such as 36 plants for six people, Swerdlow said.

"Patients are afraid to grow with other patients," he said. "A lot of people are growing for themselves because they are afraid of arrest.

"Before we even worry about storefront dispensaries, we need to discuss growing," Swerdlow said.

Meanwhile, patients will grow for personal use, go to Los Angeles or Palm Springs or rely on delivery services to avoid prosecution, he said.

Complete Title: Attorney General's Medical Marijuana Guidelines Change Little

C

Cinderella99

Yea, hopefully the San Diego county pinheads will...

Yea, hopefully the San Diego county pinheads will...

Back the F' off. I swear, If My children (who are completely unaware) are traumatized cuz there's any confusion about the legality of what I'm doing since SD will not issue cards...I will sue. I will DRAIN them. I swear. In fact, I know Jerry Brown since '91 in Chicago and I will call favors in.

donny darko

We need to push and push because if we dont we might lose because you know the feds and the bull shit groups saying it is bad are going to. We need more talk in the general forum about this and fighting for our rights country wide.

Peace Darko

ChronJohn

Care Free 1 said:
Some sheriff's deputies serve on joint federal task forces, which puts them in a difficult position because they are sworn to uphold federal law

that is a sticky situation isn't it?

The 25th has come and gone, is the Cali Supreme Court going to hear the San Bernardino case?

scaramanga

WOW!!! Excellent news from the court. Donny Darko is right, we need to push (our politicians). They'll listen if we have the right things to say. Like how we're going to vote their butts out of office if they don't start listening to us. Unfortunately too many people are apathetic about their rights, simply leaving it to someone else. If you aren't willing to fight for your rights, why then should someone else fight for you; they shouldn't.

I wish I lived in a MMJ state. Oh well we're working on it. It's very difficult when you live in an extremely conservative state (bible belt). It makes it even more difficult to live in a very conservative state when you yourself are not a conservative. You guys in the MMJ states are very fortunate and I both support and urge you to keep on fighting.

Last edited:
C

Cinderella99

Don't know about San Bern County...

Don't know about San Bern County...

But you can probably google the news....

How dare those fuc*ers in SD and SB county gov't use OUR tax payer dollars to file a lawsuit to thwart the will of the people... MMJ passed handily in both those counties, but they are using our tax dollars to fight the clear will of the people...There is something SO wrong/anti-democratic about this...

I was glad to see that Dr. Jimenez filed a lawsuit against SD/OC LEO for their cute little version of entrapment/Gestapo tactics... :nono:

Care Free 1

Veteran
I just heard the Cali Supreme Court refused to hear the appeal for San Bernardino. I dont have final confirmation yet, but if true, they should have to start issuing Med ID Cards soon. :jump: