What's new

Basic wire sizing guide for US 120 and 240 volts (Link)

I.M. Boggled

Certified Bloomin' Idiot
Veteran
Electrical wire sizing (101)

# = American Wire Gauge (AWG), the lower the number the larger the wire guage.
"Service cable" is large insulated stranded copper cable (usually refers to single #4 wire and up).

Most house hold circuits (Typically 15 - 30 amp) can safely handle 95% to 100% of it’s max rating - but only for an hour or so at a time. Loads that require long periods of 'on' time (like an air conditioner, ballasts, etc) should not exceed 80% to 85% of the max rated load of the wire/cable. The known safe capacity that the National Electric Code (NEC) recommends at 100%, is actually 80% of load.

99.9% of the time when you get into "insulated" #8 and bigger wire, it’s most likely going to be stranded (just like it’s big sister "Service cable"). You can usually get your basic sheathed xx/2 and xx/3 cable up to 6 guage. If you need larger than #8 or #6 though, you will have to buy service or "service type" cable. This can cause two problems. One: very high cost on long runs. Two: the cable might not fit the appropriately-sized breaker on a long run. This is why it’s wise to opt for putting your ballast on 240V when 2400+ watts of light power is needed on a single circuit.

#4 and above = Cable
1/0 and 2/0 are Service cable

Last edited:

full time daddy
Veteran
nice info.... i just went into all this not long ago and need to learn about 220 wire. i know the basics but not the ballest part thx to icmag & ppl like you that help

thx again toka ;) and to you to mr. Boggled for others to learn.

G

Good info... sooner or later I'll get around to showing people how to wire a relay and use it to power on mulitple ballats with a cheap timer instead of anything expensive... also pics on how to wire things up at a sub panel.. I think visuals make it so much easier!

Latest posts

Latest posts