What's new

Basement Buds in Bed

G

Day 5

CSI Three Queens

picture.php

CSI Mendocino Purple Kush - must be too dark and damp down there if the roots are coming out of the trunk...

picture.php

Peace
DM

G

To check the brix level. A high brix level should indicate you have no hidden deficiencies in your soil.

I just bought a cheap lux meter, that Migro calibrated against his apogee meter.
[YOUTUBEIF]YiVVAePNtXo[/YOUTUBEIF]

G

Good tip, thanks! What method is normally used to extract the sap for measurement? Saw some guy talking about a garlic press, but what about a syringe or something? Do I need to chop something off to take a measurement?

nickman

Veteran
Your plants look great... that bed is killer man...!!!...

I love how you have the beneficial fungus growing on the top of the medium... How are you doing that, just by keeping it very moist...???...

Also, you’ve got some GREAT CSI gear to look through...!!!... I’m very jealous... ... ...

I’ll be following along if you don’t mind...!!!... :biggrin:... ... ...

G

Welcome nickman, thanks for the kind words. Wish I could run more at a time, state limits are not conducive to my seed buying habit...but I'm happier running five at a time compared to none!

The mycorrhizal fungi on the surface was actually applied as a topdressing and watered in, so not terribly surprised that some of them are propagating above ground. The cover crop was planted quite heavily, due to lack of experience on my part, and created a wall of winter rye around the base of the plants. I'm now combing the grass and parting it like a gigantic Chia Pet to open up the airflow underneath, and it's working. I don't want to chop it just yet until after the stretch is done, due to its nitrogen-fixing properties.

I took a couple fans off the VG Bubba today, only on the side under the center of the light where lower branches are stretching up and higher branches have enough leaf material to support their own growth now.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Peace
DM

ExoticsRus

Amazing journal !

I realize someone previous pages asked but you ethier didn’t reply for reasons or forgot or didn’t see it. I was just kinda interested myself

why do you apply the cover crop? It looks soo cool? is there any benefit if your not cutting it up? are you cutting it up at end of cycle or does it do something else?

Anyways subscribed and A+ passion and keep it up!

G

Amazing journal !

I realize someone previous pages asked but you ethier didn’t reply for reasons or forgot or didn’t see it. I was just kinda interested myself

why do you apply the cover crop? It looks soo cool? is there any benefit if your not cutting it up? are you cutting it up at end of cycle or does it do something else?

Anyways subscribed and A+ passion and keep it up!

Hey ExoticsRus, thanks for dropping by. I primarily wanted the cover crop because it's a big bed for only 5 plants, and it would help retain moisture from evaporation off the surface of the soil. I knew the roots of the winter rye went deep and quick, which provides pathways for oxygen to reach deeper into the soil. Plus some of them pull nitrogen out of the atmosphere, and the beneficial microbes and fungi in the soil create nodules on the roots allowing for that nitrogen to be taken up in the host plants (cannabis, in this case). Others still provide a natural mechanism for pest and disease resistance. I've read about multi-crop covers being more beneficial than single, and the same was found about cannabis in 4x4 or 4x8 beds where mono-crops did not produce as well as the same genetics planted around other strains in communal beds. Variety is the spice of life! Hence the 6 different cover crops I've got going.

And I don't want to cut the cover crop right now, since all the Nitrogen it's fixating is being used during the stretch. I was considering chopping the cover crop at the end of flower here and tilling it in, but the more I read about the soil microorganisms, the more I am drawn towards leaving the soil alone and letting it mature. I can top dress with amendments between cycles, probably in 3-5 years I'll consider doing a double-dig, or something similar, to get some fresh minerals down below without disturbing the ecosystem too much.

Flower Day 7

VG Bubba Kush S1 is a beast... I was expecting her to be about the same size as the other three "medium" sized plants, but she's got so much vigor. I really hope she can pack a punch, cause I'm loving her structure and wouldn't mind one bit if she turned out to be a keeper.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

CSI Bubba S1 still giving me the coffee smells, really hope she retains that through to cure. She's my canary, always first to show light/heat/water stress symptoms.

picture.php

picture.php

(1/2)

G

(2/2) Cont...

CSI Three Queens has been relatively problem free, loving life in the middle. I get what I can only describe as an "OG" smell from her, I'm terrible at describing the nose of a plant...

picture.php

CSI Sugar Puffs looks to have larger internode spacing and less leafy material around the plant. Light still gets all the way to the bottom of her, good penetration.

picture.php

CSI Mendocino Purple Kush will likely not give up any clones before she's too far along into flower...but I'm still hopeful. I can reveg her if I need to...

picture.php

picture.php

Group

picture.php

Peace
DM

G

Flower day 9

Sugar Puffs is spitting out more pistils than the others currently

picture.php

picture.php

VG Bubba not stretching much since I flipped the lights, still around 28" tall, just bushing out like nobody's business. Cleaned some more lower growth under her tonight, just enough for more airflow. Started getting a new smell from her today, a bit sweeter.

picture.php

picture.php

Peace
DM

G

Day 10 flower

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Sugar Puffs little bud starting...

picture.php

Worm doody kinda bummed that I used some of the KIS Organics soil when starting the worm bedding a few months ago. I find myself hand-sifting tons of tiny pieces of perlite and wood chips. This bucket is a little more than half full, maybe 5 lbs without weighing it, just scratching the surface once in a while. Might make some tea with it eventually, but mostly looking to use it as an amendment or top dress.

picture.php

Peace
DM

G

Day 12 flower

picture.php

Sugar Puffs on the left, Three Queens on the right

picture.php

CSI Bubba if she tastes like she smells right now, she'd be perfect in the middle of the bed next run. Virtually zero side-branching.

picture.php

VG Bubba

picture.php

picture.php

Need to find some time to grind up the malted barley in my grain mill and apply as top dress around the bed.

Also need to move quick on a dehumidifier solution for outside the room. RH got up to 70% two nights ago, and 75% last night. Probably start with a cheap 50-pint and see how much it helps. May need to bump up to a commercial grade Quest or something similar... We'll see...

Peace
DM

nickman

Veteran
That bed is looking really good bro...!!!...

Plants are getting nice and bushy looking except for that CSI Bubba...!!!...

I can’t wait to see them all a few weeks from now... ... ...

G

Hey thanks nickman, can't wait to introduce them to the trim bins! :joint:

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Snagged the biggest clone I could from the Mendo Purple Kush shorty tonight. The Sugar Puffs clones were about this big when I cut them and they're doing good.

picture.php

Peace
DM

G

Day 13 flower

Picked up a 50-pint dehumidifier and turned it on yesterday afternoon. I also turned the AC back on in the house yesterday since it's been unseasonably warm the past several days. There is a vent in the main HVAC run right above the exterior entrance to the room, which I opened yesterday as well. The AC helped bring down the temp and humidity, but it didn't run all night and the RH stayed much lower thanks to the dehume. This chart shows the past week...

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Peace
DM

G

Finally got around to grinding up the malted barley. I read somewhere, or maybe the KIS podcast, that it's best to keep the barley whole until you're ready to use it...something about keeping the enzymes in-tact, which you don't get if you buy the stuff already ground up.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

I put about 1/2 cup all around each plant and lightly sprayed to get it working down into the soil. MPK and 3Q both told me they weren't very thirsty AFTER the fact...would have been useful 10 minutes before!

I also decided to whack the cover crop after peeking underneath the folded masses of winter rye and seeing decaying plant matter and mycelium all over the place. Way too humid under all that, it's a breeding ground for trouble. So off with their heads! The RH in the room dropped 10% within an hour and stayed there. I don't think I'll need to use the dehuy during lights on for now.

picture.php

Sugar Puffs clearer profile shot now that the cover crop is out of the way. She's a wee bit stretchy with smaller, minimal leaf matter. Thinking she might be a breeze to trim.

picture.php

Peace
DM

nickman

Veteran
That cover crop looked so nice though... I agree with not wanting there being a breeding ground for mold to start... ... ...

G

That cover crop looked so nice though... I agree with not wanting there being a breeding ground for mold to start... ... ...

I know, kinda bummed. Definitely used too much winter rye, it's just crowding out everything else (including oxygen). Thought I measured correctly based on suggested broadcast rates... On the bright side, the RH stuck to around 50% all day today, canopy temp ~77-78F. And they'll grow back!

Day 14 flower

picture.php

CSI Bubba opened up her top for me today. The smell has dropped off a bit, but still some coffee in there. I noticed a couple rotting leaves underneath her, so I decided to clean her up and get rid of the would-be larf. Also seeing good growth on her clone, drying out the solo cup.

picture.php

picture.php

Mendocino Purple Kush has the biggest fans of all 5 girls. Still minimal side branching and stretch; only 14" tall today. The clone I took yesterday is still perky, fingers crossed!

picture.php

VG Bubba main cola was surpassed by a side branch originating from the 2nd friggin node, 34" tall. Her top is now 22" from the light, not stressing much at all. I have another 6-8" to move up if necessary. I also took a clone of her clone today, tiny thing but looking good so far. It's a pain trying to keep these things under the state height limit... le sigh

picture.php

Peace
DM