What's new

Bankruptcy in the United States: Guess what I just found out?

I'm embarrassed; I have no argument against your fact-based deconstruction of my child-like, made-up-on-the-spot apologetics, so I won't bother quoting and retorting. I ended my rant with a smug one-liner, too. Fuck, that was a mistake (red-faced). I should have at least Googled this one. I think I've lost credibility here; time for a new forum.

Look: I dropped six figures on law school because I couldn't get a job, so I'm going to not-so-cleverly imply- as a mere aside of course- that I went to law school and you didn't. I know that my "we can't take it back therefore it can't be discharged" made-up philosophy was thoroughly debunked, but what can I do? Apologize for speaking out of turn, and admit that I don't know much about the topic at hand? Fuck that.

In case I didn't mention it already, I went to law school, bro. Are you impressed? No? Well what if I try to turn the tables and say shit like "I can't hold your hand here, man." Will they buy it? Here's to hoping?

No big deal man. Next time, when you're not really educated about the topic at hand but are bored and want to converse with people anyway, just let it go. Surely there is something in this world you know a lot about. Talk smugly about that, if you need the self-assurance.

Psychiatry is an option too, but I gather the science has been riddled with 'business.'

Best of luck in your future E-endeavors, bro.

And let me add this to your retort about not being able to get back medical operations and such. . . .

There is definitely a difference in policy between discharge of student loan debt and medical services. There is no ethical obligation for banks to provide student loans. There is an ethical obligation for doctors, however. So while we want to encourage banks to loan to students, there is no such need to encourage doctors to provide emergency services since they are already ethically obligated.
Oy vey. You should have just let it go, man.

Although everyone with a basic education dismissed you upon reading "ethical obligation" and "banks" in the same sentence, I'll play hero: sweety, banks don't adhere to an "ethical obligation." This is self-evident insofar as recognizing the nature of their business; banks literal existence is predicated on the exploitation of ethical obligations.

But it gets worse for you. You apparently believe that doctors decide whether or not they are going to treat a patient based on ethical obligation. Yikes. Brother, I'm getting bored, but a quick encapsulation: doctors don't work that way. An ER physician, for example, works for a hospital as well as a (generally) a small group of physicians who are under legal obligation to treat anyone who walks through the door. Ethics has nothing to do with it; doctors don't make independent determinations of who to treat and why based on their own disposition. They tell a homeless guy to fuck off, they no longer practice medicine.

Alas, this is all irrelevant information I'm providing you so that you don't embarrass yourself with this nonsense in real life. Your argument was that bankruptcy would impact banks giving out student loans, which is of course completely false, as debunked earlier.

**Aside**

Generally, the biggest losers in society become lawyers; morally shady folks who weren't intellectually capable of doing math and science, thus unemployable with a history degree. Accepting this, I have a low expectation for lawyers, naturally. Alas, it is clear that you're a troll, and not a lawyer-troll. A lawyer could be dumb enough to believe that banks work under a "moral obligation" to fund students in a kind of broad, social sense. But any lawyer who passed the bar would have picked up, just incidentally somewhere along the line, that banks issue low interest student loans due to government assistance and involvement.

So you're trolling a pot forum claiming to be a lawyer- a disposition most here don't respect anyway- while eating Cheeto's and being weird.

Next time, man, at least claim to study nuclear physics or something. Make it cool for fucks sake.

sandawg

lulz. You obviously have no grasp of what policy is. Sorry for mistaking you for someone with half a brain. That last post made absolutely no sense to my idiotic troll brain. But good for you, brother. You seem to know what's going on.

I'm a loser because I'm a lawyer? Is that how it works in your evolutionary mind? I graduated with an English major and a perfect 4.0 GPA when I was waiting tables, trying to figure out what I wanted to do with my life. I was stoned walking around Borders when I saw a magazine about law schools inspiring me to become a lawyer. So really, if you want to blame why I'm a lawyer, blame it on pot. [Redacted insult]

Edit: I'm a wicked troll, truth be told, but like I said, I try to keep it in check on these forums. Sometimes I can't help it. Its people like you who bring it out. People who aren't educated in world history or economics or anything, really, but think they know everything. Who was it? Bentham or Mills that stated even a pig is satisfied with his own intelligence? You tell me.

sandawg

Yeah, you think of something witty to say overnight, and I'll check it out in the morning. You pretentious fucking prick.

ronbo51

Veteran
I don't know why anyone outside of the comfortably wealthy would ever send their kids to a high priced college or university. Maybe not every state, but certainly most, have laws requiring state affiliated Universities to accept credits from accredited community colleges within that state. So, it is very easy and cheap to knock off the core curriculum of any major without the costs of room and board and the inflated costs to support tenured gasbag liberal professors busily banging the undergrads while trotting out graduate student teachers to deliver the power point class of the day.
This is why many community colleges are full and it's not as easy to get in as many would think.
Also, as part of Obamacare, all student loans have been taken over by Sallie Mae, regardless of where the loans were originated. Now every student is endebted to big brother. I have no sympathy for people coming out of the gate into adulthood with 100 or 200K in debt and a degree in Poly Sci or Communications, or Elizabethan English.

I

In~Plain~Site

Scam or not, America has always been about having the right paper...Franklins over Washingtons, college over H.S.

Education and intelligence are not mutually exclusive...besides, why would anyone want to be spoon-fed what they teach nowadays?

Educate yourself,learn what you want to and be an entrepreneur.

The world has enough college educated idiots.

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
I don't know why anyone outside of the comfortably wealthy would ever send their kids to a high priced college or university. Maybe not every state, but certainly most, have laws requiring state affiliated Universities to accept credits from accredited community colleges within that state. So, it is very easy and cheap to knock off the core curriculum of any major without the costs of room and board and the inflated costs....

well reasoned

to support tenured gasbag liberal professors busily banging the undergrads while trotting out graduate student teachers to deliver the power point class of the day.
This is why many community colleges are full and it's not as easy to get in as many would think.
:chin: - In other words, maybe there's some conservative gasbag students that have to align with respective beliefs to demonstrate reasoning and understanding?

Also, as part of Obamacare, all student loans have been taken over by Sallie Mae, regardless of where the loans were originated. Now every student is endebted to big brother.
One might think you'd prefer a low-interest loan over a credit card rate.

I have no sympathy for people coming out of the gate into adulthood with 100 or 200K in debt and a degree in Poly Sci or Communications, or Elizabethan English.
What's wrong folks' personal opinions from Oral Roberts and Liberty?

Anything wrong with communications that doesn't erase the line between fact and opinion? Communications education didn't erase the Fairness Doctrine. That was done by decree of presidential order.

Possessing a language and actually using it... novel idea. So what constitutes Elizabethan English, diction or the accent placed on it? Number of syllables?

There was also a guy who got raided just recently. His ex wife was past due on her student loan. They Broke his door down. It happend in stockton CA.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I did read something about that. Total bull if they put her in jail does that erase her obligation to pay back that loan I dont think so.

ronbo51

Veteran
At least with a bank they couldn't kick your door down and ruin your life. Now all these kids and their parents are on the hook to the Feds with an unforgivable, non negotiable, mortgaged sized loan that many will be unable to repay. How is that gonna work out? I heard on the news one day recently that 85% of last years college grads moved back in with their parents, of which 25% are underwater on their mortgages. No jobs, big bills. I worked with a guy last summer who was fresh out of a masters in Architecture and was slinging a hammer desperate to find a "real" job because his student loans were due to become payable 30 days after graduation, no exceptions. Folks have been sold hard on higher education, and for many it is the ticket to a brighter future, but a lot of families and individuals have risked their futures on a poor investment.

budlover123

Scam or not, America has always been about having the right paper...

...why would anyone want to be spoon-fed what they teach nowadays?...

...The world has enough college educated idiots.

My current work situation, I'm the only non-college educated person there. People are constantly coming to me with technical or logistical questions, and I'm the only one that doesn't get any benefits or even paid lunch time or holiday, vacation or sick time like everybody else.

It's almost as if they are like "We really couldn't get a long without you, but you didn't pay into the system so unfortunately, this is the best we can do" It doesn't help that my worthless office manager has 2 kids graduating college this year, I think she'll be damned before she sees me doing better than her unemployed college graduate children, one of which works at the office and, I believe, gets a paid lunch, I mean, either that or she just can afford to miss an hour of work and buy lunch everyday.

It's sad because working with the girl, she is obviously just another college educated idiot, but she'll do better than me.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Here is a bit of trivia. Intel Corp will not hire anyone that does not have at least a Associates degree. I worked for them for 10 years and quit(Parent died) I re applied and was told since I had no degree I would not be considered.

whodare

Veteran
you non conformist you

im fine with my HS diploma, no debt, making enough to keep me happy.

I just feel sad about the whole thing. Growing laws are obviously fucked, but we all knew the game going in and decided to play anyway.

But consider the case of, say, my sister. The government tells her she needs to go to college. Gets a highly in-demand (at the time), intellectually difficult major. Spends tons of money on loans, works incredibly hard, gets a 3.8, gets into highly competitve masters program, succeeds...no jobs.

None. Anywhere, in her field (health care, too. Highly specialized, state-certification required, etc).

It's just a shame man. She's waiting freakin' tables with a "prized" masters degree and a 3.8 gpa. Something will come up eventually, but it's been a year now.

All the wrong people are making money, for all the wrong reasons. My bitter two cents anyway. I make way more money than her and she "deserves" it, if justice has any meaning at all, way more than me.

DeezyH

ICMag Donor
It wasn't decades ago. Up until around 2005 I believe, you were able to get rid of student loans with ur chapter 7/11, now it is 99% impossible.

The bankruptcy law that prevents student loan discharge has been around for decades. The law in 2005 changed it for PRIVATE (ie issued by a bank like a car loan) student loans which had been dischargeable.

The only way to really get rid of student debt is to go to court and show that you are somehow disabled and under a hardship as a result of the debt.

In my opinion, you shouldn't take out more student loan debt than you can possibly pay back. There's no reason to go to a very expensive private university and get a degree that you can't support yourself with later on in life.

supermanlives

Veteran
well hopefully you paid attention in school, picked a good career and didnt party too much. then there aint any problem