What's new

Ballast still on with timer off - time works fine with other ballst :S HELP!!!!!!!

Green Force

for some reason the used ballast i got wont work on my timers, it was working fine forever, but now the sec i plug it in to eather timer the ballast turns on with the timer set to off, this duz not happin with my other ballast wtf could be going on :S

LiLWaynE

I Feel Good
ICMag Donor
Veteran
sounds fucked up...

maybe the timers can't hang with the voltage on that used ballast

Green Force

yeah, should i open up the used ballast? see whats up cuzz yo my word every thing was working fine for like 2 weeks

LiLWaynE

I Feel Good
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Green Force said:
yeah, should i open up the used ballast? see whats up cuzz yo my word every thing was working fine for like 2 weeks

what type of ballast?

gimme some spex

Green Force

uh its just a normal raw ballast in a electrical box ill post pics, its not doing it any more so i am thinking the ballast was just tooo hot maybe? its in a closed box and it cooled down now and it works i have a fan normaly blowing overtop of them but it was off when this happind

Tomatoesonly

Your timers are just switches, so it's like saying "my bedroom light stays on no matter what position the switch is in, so what's wrong with my light fisture?"

It's the timers. I've had timers that just couldn't take the abuse anymore and burned up in the on position.. wouldn't shut off.

Green Force

Tomatoesonly said:
Your timers are just switches, so it's like saying "my bedroom light stays on no matter what position the switch is in, so what's wrong with my light fisture?"

It's the timers. I've had timers that just couldn't take the abuse anymore and burned up in the on position.. wouldn't shut off.

=P im not stupid bro, if this is true then why duz the same timer work just fine for my other new ballast, and also works fine after i had unpluged the used ballast for a while so tell me how it works fine after unpluged for a while and just fine with the other ballast?

Tomatoesonly

Green Force said:
=P im not stupid bro, if this is true then why duz the same timer work just fine for my other new ballast, and also works fine after i had unpluged the used ballast for a while so tell me how it works fine after unpluged for a while and just fine with the other ballast?

I'm sure you're not stupid. From that picture I'm assuming those are digital timers, and who knows how they may have been damaged internally over time or how your ballast is effecting them electronically. If you can, go get a manual timer for the time being.

cocktail frank

Ubiquitous
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
look, if the timer is turned off like you said, there would be no power to the plug that the ballast is in.
therefore the ballast wouldnt stay on.
cant run a ballast w/o electricity.
tomatoesonly was right, the timer is shit.

Green Force

k listen i understan the concept of what the fuck a timer duz, tell me why the fuck it works just fine with the other ballast and not the used one? if the timer was crap like you say would it not do the same with with bolth fucking ballasts this makes no sence to me and i dont believe any of you understand what im saying.

cocktail frank

Ubiquitous
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
well, since you dont seem to want to hear the answer to your problem,
why dont you tell me whats wrong w/ it?

Green Force

i dont kno but when the same ballast turns on with bolth times on off and the new ballast works just fine i think to my self hmmm what could do this? Heat? larger draw from the old ballast? or why are the timers all working fine now that the fan is cooling the ballast and i left it all unpluged for 30 min..... i understand if the timer is fucked then it would be fucked. it would not start working again later it would allways be on or off or switch on and off or be doing fucked up shit not just start working fine after every thing cools down so my other theory is maybe the heat from the ballast heated up the wire and maybe heated up the timer? every thing cools down and its all good? im not trying to blow your answers off im just saying i really dont think thats it.

Tomatoesonly

Green Force said:
k listen i understan the concept of what the fuck a timer duz, tell me why the fuck it works just fine with the other ballast and not the used one? if the timer was crap like you say would it not do the same with with bolth fucking ballasts this makes no sence to me and i dont believe any of you understand what im saying.

Your timers are digital.. there really aren't any moving parts ( I'm 90% sure on that). Which means when damaged, they will not act in any sort of logical fashion. A mechanical timer either connects or it doesn't. Who f'n knows what that digital timer is doing and how it is reacting to various ballasts and why those ballast influence whether it turns off or on. The sooner you swap them out, the better off you'll be.

Green Force

but then why has my new ballast worked just fine on the exact same timer for 3 months? and this ballast did it to bolth timers so i think this ballast i got is crap i honistly do ive doubted it since i bought it for 100$ used from the hydro store. thease timers are 40$ out door digital timers, i stongly thing this ballast fucked up the timer cuzz it over heated some how i dont kno if that works at all ugh im really high right now so forgive me if im a bit of a prick lol its frustrating this shit

cocktail frank

Ubiquitous
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
if the ballast was fucked, it wouldnt turn on.
you say that the ballast stays ON after the timer is OFF.

i would say the ballast if it was the other way around.

Green Force

k so if what your saying is true, then why did the timer at the exact same time this happind work just fine with the other ballast?

Kalifornia

Or maybe a wiring problem,.
If it's breaking the neutral and not the hot side,.
you can get a back feed through the ground,.

When the timer if off see if you get and heat at the ballast,.
tick testers work good,. picks up on electromagnetic field,
like 10 bucks at home depot,.

Green Force

Kalifornia said:
Or maybe a wiring problem,.
If it's breaking the neutral and not the hot side,.
you can get a back feed through the ground,.

When the timer if off see if you get and heat at the ballast,.
tick testers work good,. picks up on electromagnetic field,
like 10 bucks at home depot,.

=) ty, this is the answer i was looking for to back up what i thought it could be the ballast i am going to open it up perhaps when it over heated it melted a wire some where?

ohhhhhhhh your saying perhaps the ballast is wired backwards thus causing some kinde of electric field?

Last edited: