What's new

Ballast Reliability: Digital or magnetic?

rrog

Veteran
I like the idea of digital ballasts but when they crap out, you have to get a replacement. Not cool when you're in flower and trying to keep hermies away.

If the older mag ballasts simply require a bit of maintenance, they would seem to be more reliable or at least faster to get back in action.

I'm asking here because I don't know, but why would I want a digital ballast?

rrog

Veteran
Here are some comments that I have found so far:

The pros of magnetic ballasts are that they are a little less expensive and drive the bulbs better, producing more light and PAR than electronic ones. As mentioned, the pros of electronic ballasts are that they are more efficient and allow greater bulb life and are cooler. Many people prefer magnetic ballasts over electronic ones as they drive the bulb harder getting more bang for you buck. But as electric bills are adding up, the move to electronic ballasts seems to be in full force.

AND

Magnetic = heavy, more heat, more energy consumption, shorter bulb life.

If you can afford an electronic version, it really is a better choice. Your bulbs last longer and take less electricity to run them.

So mags are hotter, make more noise, use more electricity and are larger. They are also cheaper and easier to fix and produce more light. So I guess a big question would be how much shorter is the bulb life and how much more juice do they use?

Another thought is that I believe the mags are not variable. With digitals you can dial down the juice from 1000w to 600, etc.

Last edited:

supermanlives

Veteran
i keep spare ballast parts and a ballast or 2 extra. mags can be fixed and back online in less than an hour even stoned. i have 4 digitals at another spot . no issues in like 4 years. i still preferr mags. i can deal with a little more heat and slightly less effiecent and i dont give a shit about bulb life as i change em ever 2 or 3 runs anyhow.

growshopfrank

Veteran
1000w digis seem to be more reliable if run at 240v the lower wattage digis seem fine at 120v also regardless if it has a fan or not a small fan blowing on it when it runs is good insurance and if you are doing a switchover keep a mag or two for backup just in case and last digital ballasts are very electrically noisy so any home automation modules that use power lines for signal likely will not work when the ballast is running

rrog

Veteran
Cool video. Not sure what to make of it, since some points were counter to what I have read. Maybe once the units break in for a while or after the bulb is on for a couple hours the parameters would change.

whazzup

Veteran
there is a problem in that video. A magnetic ballast should use about 40-50 watts more energy, so I reckon that his mains voltage was low or the bulb did not come to full power with the magnetic ballast. That's the advantage of a digital ballast: your output remains the same regardless of your line voltage. So the output of the magnetic ballast should be about 8-10% higher. In fact, if you test magnetic ballasts at 100% mains voltage you will see that many outperform a digital ballast at 100%. Most magnetic ballasts output a little bit more. They use more energy to do so, so they are less efficient.

There is nothing wrong with a core coil ballast if your line voltage is ok. It can vary, and vary much under load, specifically at lower voltage systems. There is one thing you can be sure of with high power electronics: some will fail. Magnetic ballast are more reliable.

Light measurements should be done on a bulb that has at least 100 hours of burning, and after a minimum of 30 minutes warm-up time. It's a pity he did not measure his line voltage. This video proves something, but not that the magnetic ballast uses the same power and has less output than an electronic one.

whazzup

Veteran
I'm afraid I haven't got much experience with US magnetic ballasts. For safety and comfort I would still choose an electronic ballast if you would be able to afford one. Most electronic ballasts nowadays have a boost feature so you can top the magnetic ballast output regardless, and still have better system efficiency.

i have never seen an electronic ballast burn out, I have seen lots of magnetic ballasts burn out. So for non-industrial use I would prefer a (cool) electronic ballast, preferably a 240V one if you have 240V available as they are more efficient than 120V ones.

whazzup

Veteran
hehe then you should go for it! Buy one with a temperature safety on it please. I know philips has some models that have them. Oh, and measure your mains voltage first. If it is low under load, an electronic one might still be a better solution.

sso

Veteran
most guys change bulbs at least yearly.

and keep the ballast out of the grow.

my ballast is magnetic and there is no noise. not much heat either, just keep a computer fan on it, very small one, keeps it completely cool.

so, im not seeing any benefits to a digital ballast.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
My Ballast are Digital no RF noise,No heat and more efficient. I see no reason to change to Magnetic lol.

This is a old Debate I have used both in that time I have never had a Digi interfere with anything. Your going to find people that love mag and not digi or love digi and not mag's. Good luck with this thread.

rrog

Veteran
That ballast in the link seems like a monster. Handles HPS or MH. Don't believe it's dimable (?). I guess that's where the digitals have an edge.

I like the Quantum also. Flip a coin

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Most of the returns are from the dim models not working properly. I have some no problems yet but they do have a high return rate.

sso

Veteran
My Ballast are Digital no RF noise,No heat and more efficient. I see no reason to change to Magnetic lol.

This is a old Debate I have used both in that time I have never had a Digi interfere with anything. Your going to find people that love mag and not digi or love digi and not mag's. Good luck with this thread.

lol, yeah, maybe to make it clear, i dont see no benefits for me :)

never actually tried digital, just read about them lool

whazzup

Veteran
most guys change bulbs at least yearly.

and keep the ballast out of the grow.

my ballast is magnetic and there is no noise. not much heat either, just keep a computer fan on it, very small one, keeps it completely cool.

so, im not seeing any benefits to a digital ballast.
Well...

- optimal output regardless line voltage
- End of life shut-down
- re-fire protection (stops igniting after a certain period when lamp is defect)
- better performance over lifetime of the lamp (better adjusted to changing lamp voltage)
- less electricity use
- cool, even without a fan, can have them in a grow room
- completely quiet (the ones without fans!)
- adjustable

disadvantages:

- more expensive than magnetic ballasts
- electronics sometimes fail
- cheap is expensive with electronic ballasts: no optimal performance, no safeties, bad components have a large influence on price and quality
- possible EMI with badly built cheap ballasts and long lamp leads

maybe you should give them a try sso :)

stonedar

Macro-aggressor
Veteran
you can't go wrong with either of those ballasts the SS-1 is sunlight's flagship model
I own a 430w SS-1 it's at least 15 years old, still going strong.
CAP Xtreme uses quality parts and has all the features you'd expect in a top magnetic ballast. http://www.plantlightinghydroponics.com/grow-light-ballasts-c-357.html has it cheaper than horticulturesource and usually cheaper shipping.
Hydrofarm's sells 3 ballasts made by SG that are also on par with the SS-1. hell one of them even has an air-cooling option. nothing a single ballast grower would ever need.
this company sells them, along with anywhere that carries hydrofarm. even if they have to order it. http://hydro-earth.com/17-grow-light-ballasts?p=3

sso

Veteran
Well...

- optimal output regardless line voltagetop notch electrical systems in even old houses here.
- End of life shut-downthat one´s pretty good, but im pretty sure ill buy new bulbs way before that.
- re-fire protection (stops igniting after a certain period when lamp is defect)im mostly around my grow anyway and only 1 bulb.
- better performance over lifetime of the lamp (better adjusted to changing lamp voltage)yes but will probably fail way before the magnetic ballast ever will (most new junk does that) so kinda making this a redundancy.
- less electricity usepretty cheap electricity around here, pay less than for the internet (100 bucks, 16mb dsl) actually they dont even check how much i use, everyone gets to pay a share (huge area built around a school.)
- cool, even without a fan, can have them in a grow room i just use a tiny fan, its not really needed, i keep the ballast in my washingroom, it stays pretty cool but i use the fan, just in case this might help life (i had it around and i dont hear it anyway)
- completely quiet (the ones without fans!)my magnetic ballast is completely quiet.
- adjustable ?

disadvantages:

- more expensive than magnetic ballasts
- electronics sometimes fail
- cheap is expensive with electronic ballasts: no optimal performance, no safeties, bad components have a large influence on price and quality
- possible EMI with badly built cheap ballasts and long lamp leads
this one i really wouldnt like.
maybe you should give them a try sso :)

thanks dude, that was helpful :) but nah, maybe later.
i do see the benefits though, its just for me they are mostly null.