What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Bahia Black Head Day 113 Flowering update....

Dutchgrown

----
Veteran
Sometimes, especially with a long flowering sativa, a combination of factors works best IMVHO...trichome color being one of those. Perhaps now would be a good time to consider whether the plant has reached a point of diminishing return.

I use trich color, along with diminishing return *in combination* to determine harvest time.

Those look incredibly sweet...let us know how the smoke turns out. :D

:wave:dg

billk6969

Pete- I just took a sample nug yesterday to dry out and try. The last time I grew this strain, the grow produced buds that were a one hit wonder!! I will keep you in the loop on these though.

Dutchgrow- "Point of Diminishing Return"? Do you mean to say that these buds may actually start to become less dense over time and that the Trichomes will start to go from Amber to Clear? I have always been a student of the thought that when the Trichome production slows, the clear ones will begin to turn Milky, then Amber. The number of new Trichomes will slow or stop all together and the hairs (or Pistols) will ripen to a nice orange color. This is what I am watching for. I test for Density as well which seems to be increasing daily. My main concern is now that I have my grow down to a science, how can I maxamize my yeild. I don't want to harvest too soon, but 113 days is a long time to flower and I don't want to have to worry about mold or a "Point of diminishing return".

Please advise!

Keep smokin,

B

Dutchgrown

----
Veteran
High, point of diminishing returns means:

'The point reached when the hair-like pistils on the bottom of the bud are drying (turning brown) at a faster rate than they are growing from the top of the bud.' definition by Jorge Cervantes.

Actually, Mr. Cervantes says there are 3 ways to tell when peak potency is reached and it's time to harvest.

1. Smoking
2. Diminishing Returns
3. Scientific Observations

Trichome coloration falls into #3 above. I've always been pleased by using #2 and #3 in concert with each other.

Technically amber trichs are amber because they are showing decomposition of THC within the gland....have always found it best to chop when trichs are 'just changing to a light honey color'. But there are many who prefer a dark amber....some who prefer cloudy....it's kinda like ordering a T-bone steak, some want it rare, some medium rare, all the way up to well done :p Perhaps not the best analogy but hopefully gets my point across.

:wave:dg

G

diminishin returns............

diminishin returns............

.........thank you DG, have to use that myself now. one other I use that seems to pop up in some strains.......

,,,,,,,,,,,,is when the bud has been bulkin up, and the top of the bud starts to foxtail. its swelled and the top looks like its shootin out a vine.

CBF

billk6969

Great stuff folks, After checking on the girls I have decided to put them into 48 hours of darkness and harvest on Wednesday! Should have some smoke by next week however still need to cure.

Thanks again and keep smokin,

B

B

baccas125

way to go

way to go

good jod and hope you enjoy your spoils. It is hard to wait for a strain to devlope like that congrats. Baccas:abduct: