What's new

Bag Seed vs. Higher Quality Seeds: Where to Start?

OneStonedPony

IMHO you can score decent seeds for $ 35 to $ 70 a pack, and know what you're starting with. My setup is too small to start with unknowns, and spend a cycle growing some herimie junk. I look for strains others have grown (at least 4 or 5 grow threads, over a year or two, on more than one forum) before I buy. I never believe those single grow threads talking up a strain, a week before it goes on sale. I say don't believe the hype or breeder claims either, instead look for repeatable results over time. Those strains are worth growing. Like Sensi Skunk # 1, Greenhouse Seeds Cheese, ISP's Cantaloupe Skunk, Bodhi's Sunshine Daydream, or his Goji OG.

Wow - thanks so much for the wealth of information, everyone! I really wasn't expecting much response so thank you! Yeah, the weed I have right now is pretty decent so I'm going to give the bag seed a shot but I'm also going to get some affordable seed too. Thanks again!

stoned40yrs

Ripped since 1965
Veteran
I spent years growing bagseed and clones from friends. It seemed ok until I started buying and growing the newest hybrid genetics. Now I look back on the bagseed/friends clones days as a waste of time. Life's too short to spend months growing things that have a good chance of turning out to be dogshit. Superior genetic makeup in living organisms wins almost all games on this rock, luck only wins a few.

DoomsDay

I would have to say I think we've all done the same in growing shitty craigslist cuts and crappy seed, however the knowledge you gained from those really shitty experiences was priceless. That's why i suggest just growing what you have. Sure, it may be junk, but all plants, superior genetics or not, will be garbage when improperly fertilized and over watered which is what 99% of newbs do. We've all been there. So drown and over fertilize seeds you haven't paid for, all in the name of experience. No one here has a grow room identical to yours, so what works for everyone else may not work for you just as what works for you may not work for a single other soul. Just sprout them and grow on my friend.

windycitysmoker

⚖TrippleBeamDreams⚖
Veteran
@ relentless i agree with you, but if it is his first time. Theres a big chance things will go wrong.I would run a pratice grow get everything dailed in before dropping money on seeds.im just saying

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn
My first grow is just starting. I'm growing bag seed from some quality genetics. I had 2/3 turn male/hermie within the first 10 days of flowering. Luckily I planted about 4x more than I planned on flowering. So that would be my suggestion plant more than you need.

MicroRoy

Bag seed is all I have grown with so far. I did at least pic from weed with out a lot of seeds.

I did luck out too. I have had there out of three female. The first and second I grew straight from seed. The third I used as a mother then grew clones.

Hoping the find another seed soon.

Everyone seem to smash the crap out of there seeds now days.

I started with bag seed, learning the basics of growing. Especially because of my method of growing, guerrilla style, I can't afford to lose expensive plants in an environment I have little control over.
But I would love to work with only known genetics eventually.

funnymath

I like bag seed for new growers, just to get it the feel for starting a seed. I think of cloning as easy in the sense that even if all of your cuttings don't root, oh well you still have the mom. But if you fuck up something with germination then the seed is gone, forever. If you paid 5-10 bucks on each seed it could be frustrating or stressful your first time making them germinate. Especially if you're like me and before growing your last seed started was some vegetable plant in grade school. I feel like a lot of people give the plants too much attention when they're new, freaking out over a single spot or dead leaf and changing things when there's nothing wrong.

Yep I've been guilty of this. Digging up seeds if they haven't germs when I think they should or overdosing with nutes or anti bug stuff, and the list goes on...

C

CheifnBud2

Coming from someone who started with all bag seed and nirvana.
Fork out the dough for good seeds. Even if you fuckup at least you know where you went wrong.

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
with the availability of seeds and some decent prices. I would buy some low end seeds to start...it aint the 60s anymore ya know..no need for bagseed..yeehaw...bagseed is fun to run if you aint depending on it for your stash or cash..if you grow em and expect to cull a bunch then you wont be disappointed...

E

ej2012usa

ITS always best,to experiment with seeds that did not cost you any money,,then,spend a few bucks on some,,females only..use the same teqnique and plant your fire..i will admit,,i grew lots of plants my first 2 years,,i had my own teqnique,, but once i recieved SOMAS SEEDS,, i felt like i never grew a plant in my life,,having great seeds makes you doubt everything you ever done,,i went blank when it came to planting these girls,,but all you can do is continue to do what worked on your previous growes, and youll be fine,,HAPPY GROWING..

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
winner@420giveaway
The best reason to start with bag seed is obvious- it's free! Most people lay out more money than they need getting started anyway, at least I did. I ended up going hempy buckets+CFL lighting+GH nutrients+bag seed. Very glad I did three or four runs with bag seed.

Yes, there's a lot of culling, but not too much more than premium beans. Ignoring feminized seeds, statistically you're always going to have to cull 50% for being male. It's just part of the deal when you're starting up.

My first indoor grow, back in the day before the internet, bag seed was the only choice. And a couple books.

These days, with all the resources available, if it were my first grow I'd probably go with a couple cheap packs of seeds if you can get them. That's what I did when I decided to try hydro and coco instead of soil. Nirvana and Mandala. In fact, since I'm not a commercial grower and not rich, I'd probably still prefer the budget brands.

But to each their own, live and let live, and all that groovy stuff. Good luck whatever you do.

The thing about buying beans is that you must do so on the World Wide Web, whether they are cheap or not. Maybe I'm just paranoid because of the legal status here.

Latest posts

Latest posts