What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

bad backs and the weather.......

geopolitical

Vladimir Demikhov Fanboy
Veteran
Cold. Anything past -30 and I'm bundled up fatter n' a michelin man. Right knee gets so bad I can't hardly move it. Wearable rechargeable heat packs are lovely. Too warm though and I get "too" flexible and can actually have a joint just bend the wrong way and WHAM I'm down. Old farts with double joints really are bad off lemmie tell ya. I have so far managed to tell the docs to go stuff it other than some cleanup work but it's only a matter of time.

nattynattygurrl

Natalie J. Puffington
Veteran
Q for others with a joint replacement...

Q for others with a joint replacement...

I too can relate to much of what has been said.
It's amazing what a huge effect seemingly small forces can have on us!!

Even though it happens frequently, I'm still often surprised by what a profound effect barometric pressure has on me physically; particularly my back and hip. And in the short time I have had my 'new' hip, I've already noticed the effects of cold as well; it grosses me out; not to mention, it's quite uncomfortable. I've also noticed what an effect humidity can have, since moving to a dry, 'high desert' climate from the very humid climate. :)chin: Of course, I was also going from a 'high stress living situation' to a fairly 'low stress' living situation...)

Anyways, all this got me thinking...I've been wanting to ask people who have had a joint replacement a couple questions, but I haven't yet had an opportunity to talk to anyone who has had one...I thought perhaps someone reading this, might be able to answer...

To anyone who has had a joint replacement; when did the 'prosthesis' stop feeling like a 'foreign object' and begin to feel like a "normal" part of your body? (If ever.)

Thank you to S4L, for allowing me to pose my query here!! And thank you to anyone who feels comfortable answering my Q. :thank you:
I hope this finds you all feeling well and properly medicated!!! :smoke:

Piel

Veteran
NNG: I have two prosthetic knees, a prostethic disc in my neck and some titanium plates in my head -long story.

My neck felt good almost straight out of the op room -just a great feeling of no pain.

The knees are more difficult. My first replacement went well, I did my exercises and in five weeks I was walking well and the knee felt pretty much like a natural part of me. Maybe it took longer but mobility and pain reduction came quickly.

A few months later and they notices that my body was reacting to the cement in my tibia and since then (five years ago) the replacement has become looser and I´ll need a reop in a year or two. Pain is still manageable but swelling is back BUT I can still walk better than before the op.

My second replacement has gone really well, no reactions to the cement and I hardly even remember having had the op done. No pain. Mobility is excellent.

Just do the physio, walk a lot and don´t give up. Ever. Smoke weed and try not to use opiates.

I feel all kinds of weather, cold is bad but I can feel weather changes a few days before thay happen.

nattynattygurrl

Natalie J. Puffington
Veteran
Piel, Thank you so much for taking the time to reply! :tiphat:

It helps to have a "goal post", some sort of 'mark', of other people's experiences, to check my own progress against;
(something my surgeon is reluctant to generalize about; for obvious reasons.)

I am grateful for your input and advice!!! :thank you:
I hope that your 'follow up op' goes well and finds you more mobile than ever!! :)

Any others out there??
...I am anxious to hear your experiences!!!

Happy medicating! :smoke:

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran

my back's so bad right now I can barely live with myself, it feels as though I need a chiropractic pop to relieve the pressure but one wrong move and I'm fucked, well that's what the doctor said.......

Skinny Leaf

Veteran
Stoner I feel your pain. I had back problems starting in my mid twenties for about ten years. I went to orthopedic surgeons and chiropractors for years with little relief. I couldn't walk straight and some days I would have to crawl just to get anywhere. The pain was terrible. No amount of pain killers or anti-inflammatories helped. Then I got a miracle cure. One day I was outside working on a 8 foot ladder and a storm blew in. The winds were so strong it picked me and the ladder off the ground and we danced. I lost my balance and fell off the ladder landing on the concrete sidewalk on my ass. Since that moment I have yet to suffer ever again from the debillitating back pain I had. The doctor that had been treating me just shook his head in disbelief.

nattynattygurrl

Natalie J. Puffington
Veteran
Whoa...I am completely blown away by your story Skinny! That is insane....Perhaps it was the big chiropractor in the sky?? :biglaugh:

I know, I know, it's really not a laughing matter, trying keeping things light sometimes the only way to cope.
I am sincerely glad you are feeling better!!...Regardless of the fix!! :)

Stay tough S4L...You are not alone!!!
:comfort:

Last edited:

nattynattygurrl

Natalie J. Puffington
Veteran
You know, I was thinking, (-insert choice smart ass comment here-), you guys should consider joining the "Chronic Pain" group!!
It's a great place to vent and talk w/ other 'sickos'...and ++ it's only visible to other CPG members.
I'd love to see that group regain some momentum and a few more members.
I tend to forget about the social groups, but I was glad to see last night, that it's been more active in there recently!...Please join us!!

Anyways, just thought I'd mention it. :)

I hope everyone is feeling well and enjoying their weekend!! Hope the weather is beautiful where you are!!

Happy medicating, pals! :smoke:

crazybear

NNG I don't have artificial anything but my experience with rods & screws is up there with artificial joints, pain all the time & cold & changing weather make it very difficult to deal with! Peace & puffs!!!!!:wave::plant grow:

I

imnotkrazy

Neck, wrists, ankles, and knees tell me when its gonna be a doosie before it happens. Nothing but canna and alleve for relief, so I must have it better than alot of y'all. Keep on keeping on S4L & the rest - well wishes from here.

Neck, wrists, ankles, and knees tell me when its gonna be a doosie before it happens. Nothing but canna and alleve for relief, so I must have it better than alot of y'all. Keep on keeping on S4L & the rest - well wishes from here.

aleave made a uncle of mine have to get surgury for stomach alssers

nattynattygurrl

Natalie J. Puffington
Veteran
aleave made a uncle of mine have to get surgury for stomach alssers
Yikes...Glad you mentioned that; thank you, Dreamz! :tiphat:

The weather is lovely here this weekend, thankfully.
I hope it's just as nice where all of you are, and that you're feeling well! Particularly Stoner4Life; I *hope* you're feeling better! Hang in there!!

:wave:

greenhaus

i have severe scoliosis and arthritis in my back and i am in pain almost daily.
cannabis relieves it slightly and i do not take any pills.

the best thing you can do is physical therapy and stretch your back.

i purchased a "workout machine" that stretches your spine and releases pressure and tension . it works great but it is only a temporary remedy.

the worst part about all of this is that i am not even 25 yrs old yet (soon)
and i feel like i have the back of a 70 yr old.

Sorry to hear of your back problems brother S4L......hang in there buddy.......

I've had problems with my back for many years......it's gotten even worse since i turned 40 & also gained weight past few years.......it seems worst when it rains overnight....i wake up with serious stiffness & a tension headache.....

The only thing that's helped me over the past year(besides motrin) is stretching everyday.....i've even began doing whole stretch routines with 10lb dumbells.....

Damn i hate getting old....

Stay strong in your mind brother & your body will come around....

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran

it wasn't supposed to be this way.......

with no relief in sight I'm on a quest to lose major tonnage by way of a glycemic index diet which will also help w/my blood sugar being a type 2 diabetic as well.

I'm walking around stooped over like a 90 something yr old for the last 10/11 days or so. I'm as unhappy a camper as you'd ever wanna meet.

P.S. this coming winter I'm headed to warmer climes 4 sure.