What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Bad Animal Experiences

tech1234

porcupines have really been an issue for me this season. Fuckers strip all the bark up as high as they can reach and then try to climb the limbs! which of course just lollipops everything! Oh well. lollipopping outdoors has always turned out fine for me

delavega

Hi,
In our area there isn't a particularly dangerous animals. Most of them flees at the sight of a man but there are exceptions - usually during the mating season. When it is dark, you're tired and do not see anything, and you don't know where the animal is... that isn't a comfortable situation :)
When we were coming back from a spot in the night we encounter on feeding boars. After a while we decided that boars run away and we started to go further in our direction. Suddenly we heard one of them close to each other. I ran a few meters and hit a tree. For a long time I had a bump on my forehead :)
Once we walked in the morning on the spot. Again, we stumbled on feeding boars ... This time we saw them very accurately - they were a few meters away from us but nothing at all they were interested in our presence.
Another time, returning with a friend from the garden through the forest we had an interesting adventure. It was night, we do not use flashlights, so it was quite dark. At some point, we noticed something strange. About 20cm above the ground something big shining blue / green light. When we approached, it turned out that this is a glowing fungus that overgrown fallen tree. She developed under the cortex, so it seemed, like a the glowing veins - it looked fucking great. We have not seen anything like this ever before - that is rare in our area. Unfortunately, we looked at only a moment because we heard a low tone - bass roar ... It was probably the moose somewhere close. There was nothing visible around, so we move away from there quickly. Later never seen this fungus.

Lots of sun!

rod58

some good stories to be told ^^^ ..i've been dragging my sorry arse through the scrub for over 40 years now and consider myself to be a very experienced bushy .
i've also learn't that to keep what i'm doing completely secret i leave in the dark of the morning , 2-2.30 am , and try to return just as everyone else is waking up .now i can get through the bush very , very quietly and i generally follow kangaroo pads just to make life a bit easier ..
this has happened to me a couple of times that i've walked right onto a roo that was sleeping , its woken up and in its sheer panic its trampled clean over the top of me trying to get away ..:yoinks:
scares the living crap out of me ! i have to sit down , my hearts beating like a bitch ! i'm nearly 60 , i'm hoping its not my time yet !
heart palpitations ....i feel around , a bit of skin off me and i'll have a bruise or two ..jeez , i'm still alive ! no-one would ever find me if i died ..:biggrin:
ahhh, coming good now , nothing like a BIG shot of adrenaline to kick the day off with ..thank god we haven't got bears !!:biggrin:

ChaosCatalunya

5.2 club is now 8.1 club...
Veteran
I don't have the time and you don't have the patience to listen to all my stories about wild boar...

In a couple of hours I have to get my dog from a 2 day $800 visit to the vets, not for the first time

baduy

Sorry for your dog hope all will be well. Do you mean his condition is caused by an encounter with a wild boar?
Last August I met a wild boar face to face while crawling in the bush. Didn't attack me cause it's been as frightened as Iwas and we both ran away like crazy.
The interesting part is that,this time only, I went there with just short pants and flip-flops. I ran something like 100 yards through Opuntia Cactii,nettles and blackberries,after two seconds running I was barefoot.
People have been asking what happened to me for weeks , I looked like a medieval flagellant after the holy week.
wild boars are a big concern here since hunters did cross some with pigs in order to make them reproduce faster which has been a success beyond all expectations. They destroyed more of my gardens than human did

ChaosCatalunya

5.2 club is now 8.1 club...
Veteran
Yes, "encounter" ... No shooting here and Oak forest with tons of acorns in autumn = boar feeding frenzy

Poor dog is still not great so has to spend another 24h at the vets...

They are utter ****s for digging up irrigated ground, it makes it easy to dig for roots truffles and worms, am just glad I don't have a lawn

igrowone

Veteran
ok, i see some bear stories, here's mine, i was actually charged by a bear
i'm in the woods looking for growing spots
and i hear what sounds like a bulldozer coming up the hill(without the engine)
fucking bear is running towards me
i turned and ran, not the 'approved' method but instinct takes over
it was a controlled run, not panic, kept watching for pursuit
then i'm away clear, bit disoriented though
so walking another 10 minutes or so, guess what i see peering out of the leaves, the bear
big black bear, not afraid of me, so i stop and start talking to him(or her), honestly true
bear loses interest, turns sideways to me and roots through the leaf cover
there are some things about growing outdoors i miss, this wasn't one of them

Swamp Thang

Veteran
There must have been a severe pucker factor in that encounter, Igrowone.

I wouldn't fancy grappling with a bear, even a small one, since they probably don't comply with the Geneva Convention when they do battle.

igrowone

Veteran
There must have been a severe pucker factor in that encounter, Igrowone.

I wouldn't fancy grappling with a bear, even a small one, since they probably don't comply with the Geneva Convention when they do battle.

for some strange reason, it didn't scare me the way it should have
and i'm not a steely eyed macho man
i still recall the thrill of getting to see a bear up close, nature untamed i guess

Slipnot

This is not much of a wild encounter but used to drive truck you know pick up and deliveries.
I had one delivery which i been there before Farmer he told me just put products here and no need for me to sign anything .. Told dispatch etc all good for next time right ??

Couple weeks later i have to deliver out there again i call dispatch let them know that going to drop it off where farmer wants it more or less just inside his property a shed area

Fucking dispatch says no you need to get it signed blah blah
So i had to walk up to this guys house and sure enough walk around the corner and see three 200 pound plus Irish wolf hounds
Now i am not scared of dogs but i tell you this time i was .
one started to growl they all started to growl you know follow the leader or pack et

I was like its ok, guys its ok . Shiting my pants as know one is home either anyways i got out of there, and can say very fucking lucky.

This is the first time i ever been actually scared.

When i got to office i grabbed the dispatch fucker by the throat.
i said calmly if you ever put me in another life threatening situation i will fucking Kill you with out a blink of a eye you mother fucker.
Then proceeded showing people pictures of the dogs that could of killed me

Last edited:

Wolfshadoe

God!!! I love this place!!!

Nothing like drinking coffee early and turning and burning and reading IC...

Storys and animals? ..Oh I got them.Deer, moccasin ,rattler,hog,panther,..No bear though.
MJ >nightmare? Worst I ever come across>>Fuckin WOOD rat!!!!
These are just a few.those 2 moccasins were HUGE!!!..The rattler was a big female just trying to stay out of my way..

I guess about the CLOSEST I ever been [was many].I actually lived in the wild for a decade,growing ,,,ect [long story].

I'm gonna shorten it abit..This was 99..Just before I found out about overgrow..I use to dig for water when my swamps went dry.Both for drinking and plants.I would start digging as the last of the water dried up.Had to dig at angle [Learned cant dig straight down bc armodillas fall in them and drown]..Talking bout disturbin? Dig A DEEP hole,only to be contaminated by ROTTEN dillo..Plus I felt bad for the dillo. ,,,So I had to do them at angle/slope down..lol you would be surprised just how far one can dig over a course of time...

I had my hole putting out good water[seep well] more less,,Had to wait for water to seep back in to fill more jugs...I had noticed where a deer had been coming to my hole and getting on front knees and getting to that fresh water.I thought "cool"!!!.That was good thing right?Helping out the wild life..Note: I ATE plenty of that wild life!!! just small game though...

I'm bent over down in my hole.Jug in each hand filling them when I hear A snort behind me!!! I come up outta that position lighting fast spinning around ,.jug in each hand.Ther sits A 6 point buck stomping with right foot real quick on ground snorting at me[also was rutting season] His neck was bowed out{This is a sign any exp woods man knows] My thoughts was"this sum bitch is fixing to rush me!!"..Only had knife on side,and jugs in hand.No sooner than I thought the thought,ol boy did just that!! Keep in mind he is only 25 ft from me and coming lighting quik.You would have had to just be there to understand the shit that went thru my mind...

Only thing/choice I had to do was drop both jugs and go for my knife.But WAY too late!..Well now things just kinda work out some time..Nothing saved me but when I dropped the jugs to go for my knife the frigging water shot out both tops of jugs and enough to scare/shy that sumbitch just to my left!!!!!I mean it was SO close!
That really shook me up,and I been in some crazy shit..
Edit:..Right after this,I hunted that buck for a few days hard..Was gonna kill him,I was supposed to be the meanest SOB in my swamp!!!LOL..ha ha..2 weeks later I'm carrying 3 jugs in each hand thru bush and there he was,looking with his head up at me bout 50 yrds away.I dropped jugs and RAN toward him giving my <ws> "snarl"..He hauled ass outta there and I never shared my water hole with him again..

But by a far shot closest and most serious situation[other than the task force lol] that was after me..<ws>

Snake in the middle ? A HUGE cotton mouth prolly one of the biggest I got on cam

Attachments

• 1462220843199.jpg
    1462220843199.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 11
  • 1462209786317.jpg
    1462209786317.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 13
  • Screenshot_2016-03-07-10-47-20.jpg
    Screenshot_2016-03-07-10-47-20.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

Farm Hero

Had a problem with raccoons digging up transplants, not really because of fertilizer odors just thinking something was buried there was my guess. Ended up taking a can of tuna with me and would punch a one inch hole in the top, tossing it as bait away from my patch. Would keep em busy for a few nights and away from the plants.

Used flat limestone rocks around the base of plants for protection too and to retain moisture and had a rattlesnake move in due to the cool soil, I just left it and watched myself whenever workin around the base of that plant.

Had fawns playing around me not afraid at all. Gotta love gardening in the guerilla outdoors.

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
About five years ago I was scouting for a place to put a few plants.
As I'm walking around I hear a noise. A big doe with her back to me but her head turned towards me.
I just stood and watched. She'd take a few steps and end up in same position. I took a step, and she would zig and zag and just stair at me. I needed to get to where she was,so I slowly pushed through. Same story. Last time I saw her she was completely hidden except an eye watiching me.
The next step I took felt and sounded different. Like stepping on a whoopie cushion. Softer than the ground and made a snort grunt sound.
I looked down and was stepping on Bambi. Big Disney eyes looking up at me. Mouth and face covered in swarm of flying insects.
I looked back up and mom's eye was gone. I figured it would be to better wait a day. Didn't want momma coming at me.

Another time I was in a river bed when a herd came running straight at me. I just knew that they were gonna see me and turn around. But they kept getting closer and closer. At about 20 yards away, I threw my hands up and started waving my arms to make sure they saw me. I think it was five dear. At the last second they split up and went on either side of me. I could have touched one I was so close.
One splashed water on me and another kicked rocks up on the back of my legs.
I know they are just deer but, that what scary. I've seen the damage they do running into a parked car at traffic light. Didn't want huge dents in my face.

'Boogieman'

Years ago I had an aggressive and possibly rabid racoon with white foam all around its body but not around its mouth act really weird, it would charge me or come my way in an aggressive manner then act like it's lost and could not be scared off.. It also made really strange noises that I worried would attract other people. I pulled a chicken wire cage right out of the ground that was protecting one of my plants and put it around me and walked around the plot with it watering my plants. It eventually moved on but continued to make strange noises. Never seen him again after that day.

Last edited:

rolandomota

Veteran
Here's a short story . Their was a small rattlesnake in my bathroom last week ....it lost it's head I'm glad my dogs didn't find it. the moral of the story is turn your air conditioning on and stop leaving the doors open it's too fucking hot now

Latest posts

Latest posts