What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Backpacking/Backcounty Camping

NOKUY

Veteran
Gods Country
alaska10.jpg

bongoman

I live in Australia where we are blessed with plenty of outdoor space and I used to get out for multi-day walks whenever I could with a bunch of friends.

Having kids has put an end to that temporarily.

There's nowhere better to enjoy herb out in the wilderness I think - miles from the nearest road, stars, moon, a fire. It's like coming home.

NiteTiger

Tiger, Tiger, burning bright...
Veteran
Yeah, H&L, the shelter thing is not my idea of truly camping, but I think it'll be a good start, if nothing else, just to have as a safety measure on the first coupla trips.

Especially with the kids.

I love swimming, so yeah, water nearby definately figured into the picture :D

NOKUY

Veteran
I'm sure some of you know this, but Army surplus stores are great places to gear up. Prices are generally less for better-quality/more-dependable gear than whats available at REI etc....

Don't skimp on your raingear either....nothing is more miserable than being wet and cold..I know this I used to commercial fish/crab. I always have my commercial raingear (Helly Hansen) when I'm in the backcountry, and more often then not I'm damn glad that I do. (cheap-ass rainjacket/stadium poncho form wal-mart aint gonna cut it in a storm)

The Uncola

I'm in the shadow of Longs Peak- Denver-CO

I do backpacking on a regular basis- but I am not into gear like you's guys!!
I would like to see a personal GPS. I don't want to pay for it!!
My last hiking trip was Bob Marshall Wilderness Montana. It was October.
Ya I know October is the wrong time. Great scenes. West access from Great Falls.

GOT_BUD?

Weed is a gateway to gardening
ICMag Donor
Veteran
NiteTiger said:
Anyone else got some good long hikes in the south east?
Check out Deal's Gap, North Carolina. I try to get there at least once a year.

G

Over the last couple years I've gotten more and more into ultralight backpacking, after carrying 50 or more pounds up and down mountains, a 12-pound pack is a joy. I don't wear boots now, only running shoes, and enjoy myself sooo much more.

Drop all the military surplus gear, it's heavy, has too many features, and just plain sucks. Check out some of the lightweight backpacking forums, there's just too much information to not try at least some aspects of it. I enjoy my time in the woods now, instead of hike like hell for 2 days, rest for a day cuz your too torn up to go on, etc.

I dehydrate all my own food, and make most of my own gear. I couldn't sew last year, now I'm making tents and hammocks for myself and my daughter. Point is, most people carry too much without thinking why they really need it. I'm not talking about survival camping, but sensible reduction in the crap you take with you. I could go on for hours about this (and frequently do!), but look around the net before you outfit yourself with gear you'll hate to carry.

G

The Uncola said:
I would like to see a personal GPS. I don't want to pay for it!!
Picked up a real nice Garmen this year to replace our older one, very much worth the money.

Ganico

Veteran
Where I live, there's no real places to go hiking. There's a couple gravel trails that are a couple miles long, but most the "wildnerness" is privately owned I think. All the woodsy spots I see while driving through the countryside are privately owned. There's a few state parks and such, but the woods there are not very secluded or anything.

On the other side of the state, in the mountains, it's completly different. Over here though it's mostly cotton and soy fields, with a few trees in between

linksys

i go backpacking, hiking, and mountain biking all the time and i love it... even in the snow... always wear your helmet :wave:

NiteTiger

Veteran
Ah, I've been neglecting my threads!

Things are starting to come together - We've got the gear laid out for pretty cheap. I found a 5600 ci internal frame pack that only weighs about 5 ponds on Ebay for $55, brand new. It's got all the features of the Kelty I looked at for $179, except the daisy chain, and pfft, I can so some nylon loops on myself. Unknown brand, yeah, but I figure all the brands started out as unknown at some point. Besides, for $55, it'll have earned its keep if it only lasts a few trips. Pretty nice though - it's got the aluminum reinforced internal frame, detatchable top lid you can use as a fanny pack for short day hikes from camp. For the longer Day hikes, it's got a removable day pack for the longer day hikes. Hydration compatible, separate sleeping bag compartment, and a rain cover.

All in all, not to shabby for $55, although 5600 ci (about 85L for you metric types) is probably a bit bigger than I really need. But, as the saying goes, better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it :wink:

Found a cheapie three season tent at Dick's for $69. Shitty little thing, but once again, it'll have earned its keep after a few uses. Who knows, it may even last :D Besides, spring/summer overnights and three days are not that taxing on equipment. If we decide to do some winter stuff, we can always upgrade.

Also found a cheap substitute for those super expensive ($139/pair) hiking poles - a lightweight aluminum painters extension pole from WalMart for $3 :joint:

No making fun of me for the poles - the 38 caliber hole in my knee kinda makes it a requirement

Hell, growing pot even helps in this hobby - I'm nto afraid to make shit myself :D :bat: Besides, if you've never tried 'em, do it - they freaking change the whole game. Reduces your effective pack weight by 15-25 pounds, and no more dunkings when you slip during those stream crossings :pointlaug

I checked out Deal's Gap - thanks for the tip! I didn't realize it was down there on the edge of GSM NP. I've already laid out a route from there to Gatlinburg through the park, assuming we keep progressing at the rate we are.

We've got the whole family up to 2 mph on moderate trails. After we get through the first coupla short trips to get the wife used to sleeping outside (she's never camped out before :yoinks:), we're looking at a moderate level hike (with short bursts up to strenuous), 3 day outing in the Smokies, about 6 miles in.

I, personally, looking at the pace we're setting now, think we'll blow through it and be looking for a bit more of a challenge. If that's the case, I've laid out a 12 miler. Like I said before, I've got a long route planned for me and the wife if we get to the point we can handle it.

Oh, and as far as planning routes, check out National Geographics Topo trail maps of the national parks (comp program, available on BT)- absolutely fabulous. It lets you plot your route, gives you the mileage, builds a profile so you know precisely when and where you'll hit those big uphills, and will DL into a personal GPS.

Oh, and just to be mean - with my new job, I get a $200 discount on the new Garmin 75, bringing it easily within range :woohoo:

Well, I've written a novella here, so I'll stop, and tell my story about terrorizing the poor guys at Dick's later ("What do you mean you don't have weight bags for testing the packs?! Well, unbox that tent and everything so I can load it into the pack. Oh, no, I'm not planning on buying today" :sasmokin:)

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i been hiking/backpacking for a few years now here in socal. have been up to over 8000 ft and took some sun rips in the bong, was so niec and peaceful up there. bongs dont milk as thick either. i know most of the trails around always fun to go on.

few things i reccomend.
survival straw, this this is the shit, you can drink out stagnant pools of green water and it filters it to crystal clear pure tasting water. there under 20$ too. i got a 500 gallon for 14$, and they weigh under 2 oz.

always carry a knife. no matter what. it could save ur life i ran into a mountain lion once with freshly caught fish in my backpack in a canyon. only one way out....right pas it. did i mention it was dark lol.

i prefer to make almost everything i can from scratch and natural materials.

thinking of buying a camping hammock they look awesome and are lighter than a tent and more comfortable.

NOKUY

Veteran
sounds like you got some good gear NT! Keep us posted on the adventures.

also let us know how u like the internal frame pack. I've never used one. I have an external frame pack, that I love! I use the frame by-itself to pack out game when I hunt too. But was considering a smaller internal frame pack for day trips of fishing hikes.

NiteTiger

Veteran
jaykush - I definitely want one of those Survival straws! Everywhere I've gone looking for them they're sold out, and on the net every place has told me they're on back order! ARG! 'Cept for Ebay, of course, but something like that I get a little sketchy about buying on Ebay.

Have you done any of the PCT? I hear is is absolutely gorgeous, and can be quite challenging. If I'm remembering right, it takes you over Mt. Shasta?

'Course, as you say, you're in cougar country. I've got no problems going into bear country, they're usually not lying in wait for you, they'll just remind you about proper food storage... usually :D

Freaking cougars think you're food, not just the jerky in the pack :yoinks:

You can keep your damn cougars :pointlaug

As far as the hammock goes - I LOVE the hammock idea! I just haven't found a four person yet :biglaugh: Although I have laid out a prototype for a crossover hammock and tent that looks promising. I've actually got the right design laid out - It is actually your pack. I've managed to get it so the rain fly and vestibule for the tent/hammock also serves as the pack rain cover and poncho for you :D

I'm actually very proud of it. So far I've got it setup so that the poncho portion turns into the vestibule, and you can set it up almost completely from the inside :woohoo: 'Course, if you have to stake it out (it's self supporting, so you only need to stake it and guy it for the absolute WORST weather), you'll need to break out some other gear to keep from getting soaked. Easy to do though, since the tent/hammock is actually your pack. Set the pack down, pull out the vestibule (if you don't already have it out), untie the fabric stays, and crawl into the tent and set it up from the inside :D

One of the coolest things is that because it is also your pack, all your shit is already inside your tent :woohoo:

The padding in the pack plate doubles as your sleeping pad, and the supports for the pack double as the tent poles. Plus, your hiking poles double as guy stays for the tent.

When you use it in hammock mode, it gets even cooler. The pack back padding spreads out, and the pack stays and hiking poles are used to form a larger frame that flattens out into a nice stable 'floor' for the hammock! The sides of the pack drop down about 2 feet, giving you enough room to sit up inside the 'hammock', which I guess would be better described as a suspended tent.

If you don't use the rainfly, you can zip back the roof and lay in your hammock and enjoy the stars through the noseeum mesh keeping the blood suckers out.

Did I mention it fits two, as long as your real fond of your tent mate? :biglaugh:

I've actually made a prototype, and found a few flaws, but nothing I think will be a major hassle to correct. Of course, it's not made out of the good materials (silnylon, etc), so it's heavy as shit right now (for a pack), empty.

Pretty sure I can get it under 12 pounds though, which I think is a fair weight for an internal frame pack, hiking poles, poncho, a 2 person self supporting tent, a two person hammock, and the ability to set it up from inside.

I think if I can perfect the design and weight, I'll have a pretty good money maker on my hands, doncha think? :D

Nokuy - I'll definitely keep ya apprised. I gotta admit, the Kelty internal frame I tried rocked. I don't think it could replace your ex for packing out game, but I'll bet it's just the ticket for the fishing.

Last edited:

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
That prototype sounds like a winner, NT! I always go backcountry packing just south of gatlinburg! Awesome place! Have a good time! I need to get out there soon!

I'll have to check out that National geographic program!

Last edited:

NiteTiger

Veteran
Glad you like the sound of it Pipe!

Maybe you can be the first to see it put to the test, since we're headed to the same area!

Sit up on Gregory Bald chuffin' some good stuff with someone who knows good smoke- sounds like a winner to me :D

Now watch, I'm gonna be testing out my prototype, and some guy is going to come along, see the design, and be like 'You're NiteTiger from IC!", and I'm either gonna have to kill 'em, or set a landspeed record on the AT :biglaugh:

The Uncola

I've been on tiny portions of the AT-within Smoky Mtn. National. Places like Noland Creek, Forney Creek, Cades Cove, etc. There was an ancient wrecked plane fuselage right on the AT near Inadu Knob when I was there. Gatlinburg is a gruesome eyesore.

I've been to portions of the PCT over the years. I lived in Yosemite for a year working for Curry Co. I have been to the Three Sisters Wilderness in Oregon. I read a book recently about an 18 year old who hiked the entire PCT in 1970- before parts of the Northern CA portions were well defined. He used 5 food drops and stopped in the occasional town to rest and pig out. Pretty hard core if you ask me.

Back in the day- we drank from the creeks w/o giving it a thought. I have a filter but use it less than I want to admit. I have a new 0F down bag that I got from Campmor.
It cost $140. That is about what my tent cost- a NF two person unit that only has 2 poles. If you put 2 in that tent- You better get along reallly well with your partner.

Last edited:

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'd be down there tomorrow, but I don't have $$$! Gots ta work.... trips gonna have to wait until summer break.....

Yeah the pacific trails would be nuts! The apalacians are nice and rounded off at least.... :D

NiteTiger

Veteran
Yeah, I was wondering about the filter, but then I figured I'd rather not find out the hard way :biglaugh:

These guys doing the ultra long trails in one chunk just blow my mind. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to get my AT 2000 miler rocker, but in bites. 2700 miles in one chunk?! Good Lord!

Five food drops?! Dude was hunting and fishing like caveman to pull that off! :D

Very hardcore, I don't care if you're on the PCT, AT, or CDT.

I'd love to be able to swing that kinda gear, I just ain't got the funds. Thank God growing pot has taught me how to DIY :smile:

What kinda stove are you using? Canister or alcohol? I love the idea of those UL alky stoves, but I just know I'm too clumsy, and I'll spill the damn thing.

Latest posts

Latest posts