What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Back with light question

Faraway

Ok, I vegged with a dual spectrum 1000W bulb. It has two filiments inside & I think it's a 600W HPS & a 400W MH to equal 1000W. So now I just flipped it for flower cycle. Would I be better to change the bulb to a 1000W HPS or just leave it as is? Has anyone flowered with the dual spectrum bulb?

dubwise

in the thick of it
Veteran
I use a dual spectrum bulb for my tomatoes and peppers and it does very well. If that's what you've got, then go with it and it will work. I use a 1000w HPS for flower (buds) and it does great! If you're looking to save money, then flower with the dual spectrum and save up for the HPS....then just switch the bulbs at the flip. I've not flowered my ladies with the dual bulb so I can't help out much. I can say that my peppers and tomatoes love it though.

Faraway

Yeah, the dual has done very well on the veg for me, but was wondering if a 1000W HPS would be better than dual bulb on the flowering cycle as far as bigger more potent buds & light penetration. My thought is that I would be getting 1000W's of HPS light rather than 600W's of HPS & 400W's of MH. Does this make sence, or am I off base here? The cost of using either bulb should be about the same also, right, as far as the power consumption? Also my light is on a 6 ft move & has been at a 14" distance because of the movement.

Flying Goat

I have a switchable available to me... I would use the dual bulb all the way thru, unless, like me, you like to change to MH during the last 2 weeks to increase resin production/potency...

The UVB emitted by the MH is known to boost both...