What's new

Baby Boom v Gen X v Gen Y - Weed Quality & Culture

Japanfreakier

Veteran
I don't buy that a plant that evolved millions of years to it's natural habitat and the full spectrum of the sun could ever be worse than an indoor grow.

If we're comparing outdoors then I still have to think they would prefer their natural habitat and that's probably why people remember the good stuff from years ago so fondly, because they were grown where they're from. That's why I'd guess they were more potent percentage by percentage.

Woah, so are you saying people don't grow outdoors anymore? The majority of weed is still grown outdoors...

EDIT: Sorry a little stoned this morning. I do not think that having a bunch of plants grown mas production in Colombia (or any country) and packed and smuggled across boarders would be better simply because it was grown where it was originally from. There is a lot of quality loss when smuggling weed. I would think that same plant, taken and grown in the backyard of a well to do grower in a similar climate would be much better than that grown by drug cartels smuggling for profit.

Japanfreakier

Veteran
Nope that's not what I'm saying, I'm saying that I think a plant grown in it's natural habitat would be more potent regardless of indoor or outdoors but at least outdoors has the full spectrum.

Then there's the UV and all that shit.

Japanfreakier

Veteran
I would think that same plant, taken and grown in the backyard of a well to do grower in a similar climate would be much better than that grown by drug cartels smuggling for profit.

So we agree.

You'd be surprised how good some of the shit that is smuggled in is. But you know, people think it's all about the trics. I've smoked some thai weed (used to get real good shit in Japan) that I swear to god most people would take a look and snub their noses at it, would probably note the lack of "crystals" but if they had smoked it, yaza.

O

onehitjake

Almost everyone I know from my age group or older says "today's herb is missing something"

I agree.

If you weren't there, you don't have an opinion on this matter! The best you can do is to "listen" to those who were there and wonder.

I can go to a hookup now and get one Indica dom bag after another. I am never offered anything like what was commonly available 25 or more years ago. IMO, this isn't a potency issue, it's a "preference" issue. Many of the Sativa landrace genetics I grew up smoking are GONE.

If I could put my finger on what is missing today in most of the bags I've received, I would say it's euphoria.

motaco

Old School Cottonmouth
Veteran
But that being said.... I still don't know how it would be MORE potent back in the day than today. Just doesn't seem logical.

I agree with your entire post and I agree with that last bit too. MORE potent? No. Probably not. There was however more genes out there. Yet at the same time, fewer people were able to get them in their prime.

The two main reasons IMHO why people say the pot was better back then is that:

1) The vast majority of pot back then was in fact a dramatic step down from what we smoke today. Even shwag was of a lower quality. But you made do, and that kept tolerance down. Also the good weed was DAMN good. Rare as it was, and you might only see it a couple of times a year, but there was good stuff around. And not just good stuff, exotic drug cultivars grown in their sweet spot on earth. A region they were acclimated to, and grown by a culture who have tended plants of hundreds of years.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=2816718&postcount=313

You can imagine if you had been smoking low grade immature brickweed for a few months, untrimmed, full of white seeds, and poorly treated. Then somebody came into town and dropped this big hunk of hash on your rolling tray. But not just hash, blonde hash of ripe resin glands, grown high in the mountains of afghanistan, in the same place by the same people who have grown it for longer than anyone can remember. How high do you think you'd get?

2) Most of what was offered back then was sativa. Some people vastly prefer sativas to indicas, and at the current state of affairs its damn near impossible to get a dank sativa on the commercial market. Even if you grow your own sativa you probably have to do it indoors, and a sativa acclimated to south africa or colombia, etc., will not perform as well under any amount or intensity of indoor light. It's missing its homeland, and will let you know it. So if you like sativas, you may well be right in your own opinion, that the old weed was "better" (or rather more preferential to you personally) than what is offered today.