What's new

Baby Blue Jay?

P

pine boy

As I look out my window I see my cat in a shit storm with Blue Jays.My cat got attacted by 4 big jays and dropped the baby from his mouth and ran off is all I saw.It seem a young bird was either learning to fly or fell out the nest.
What can we do for this little bird? It's smaller than a baseball and has a small amount of agility.I don't think it will be flying for week or so.
We have a ton of worms and can help nurse but I dont know how to help from here.
Can Anyone help?
:thank you:

M

MrSterling

pineboy. How young are we talking here? Are the eyes open? How many feathers? If you can get a photo that would be great. Wherever you live there's bound to be state licensed wildlife rehabbers around you. Caring for a baby bird isn't that difficult, but it can get tricky and they will often die without the proper care.

I can't advise on what to feed it until I know how old it is unfortunately. If it's too young it should be fed on a liquid meal(you can make it out of cat food and water, with usually a couple other things added) but if it's old enough to *eat eat* worms/seeds should be fine.

That said, give a look around for the wildlife rehabber in your area. They're almost always incredibly awesome people who love animals.

edit: It just occurred to me, do you know where the nest is? Take a look around and see if you can't find it. Putting it back in the nest might work.

P

pine boy

MrSterling,I am sorry to say Bridie didn't even make it through the night,My plan was Since we got him at dusk,was to let him go in the morning.
I did some research and kinda had a plan .
everyone in the niehborhood has cats and dogs...My cat caught hell again the next morning from pissed off Jays
I guess breading is a high risk activity around here.Sorry for a tragic outcome.R.I.P. lil Bridie

Latest posts

Latest posts