What's new

babu's stealth microcab - 1st indoor project evar (bagseed: lemon sour diesel, misc.)

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
You mentioned the active intake. Better to cut three holes the same size. One hole as high as possible for the exhaust fan and the other two as low as possible for the passive intake (no fans here.)

The way I'd mount the fan to the scrubber is plain old duct tape. Center the fan over the filter. Make sure it's oriented suckside-to-filter. Tear strips of tape to attach them together, making a complete seal. Leave the fan mounting holes free so you can mount it back to the cab.

That's a sweet little filter. I got one and really stinky plants tilt it late in flower. Nothing a little air freshener can't handle though.

immaculate

Thanks for stopping by!

There actually is no active intake. The fan you see mounted is the outtake. It's mounted directly to the inside of the cab and is quiet enough. In order to mount the scrubber I need some ducting to ensure that no air gets free of the scrubber. I'll connect ducting directly to the hole from the backside of the cab and then fit it to size around the scrubber. Then mount the duct/scrubber to the back.

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
Where ya gonna cut the intake holes? That's a pretty big fan, 2 intakes the same size as the fan will work better than a couple of small holes IMHO. Yer scrubber will heat up a little from the lights and you want to make sure you have enough air flowing into the cab for it to release that heat.

LST is cool for yer setup. SCROG allows you to go wall-to-wall but you can get very close with LST. 12/12 from seed works great unless you get a strain that grows slow in veg. Some strains will work with little or no veg at all. Half the battle is anticipating the amount of stretch and the minimal veg size needed to fill the box when mature. Second time's a charm, anyone?

EDIT: Keep in mind the cab may suck warm exhaust air through the intakes, aka recycling. Ducting or a baffle of some kind will help keep the warm air flowing upward, leaving cooler air at the floor.

immaculate

Where ya gonna cut the intake holes? That's a pretty big fan, 2 intakes the same size as the fan will work better than a couple of small holes IMHO. Yer scrubber will heat up a little from the lights and you want to make sure you have enough air flowing into the cab for it to release that heat.

LST is cool for yer setup. SCROG allows you to go wall-to-wall but you can get very close with LST. 12/12 from seed works great unless you get a strain that grows slow in veg. Some strains will work with little or no veg at all. Half the battle is anticipating the amount of stretch and the minimal veg size needed to fill the box when mature. Second time's a charm, anyone?

EDIT: Keep in mind the cab may suck warm exhaust air through the intakes, aka recycling. Ducting or a baffle of some kind will help keep the warm air flowing upward, leaving cooler air at the floor.

Well, at the moment I was kind of thinking passive intake by cutting small holes on the flo'. Exhaust is at the top, and doesn't hot air rise?

Thanks for the help.

matero23

Well, at the moment I was kind of thinking passive intake by cutting small holes on the flo'. Exhaust is at the top, and doesn't hot air rise?

Thanks for the help.

you got the jist of it man. great job! these are awesome because noone would expect anything its sooo deeceiving muahaha:nanana:! read up on NGB style cabs they have soo much information on passive intakes, and there is some crazy ass designs where hey have like aire traveling through amazes and it cools and ventilates everything, great reads! good luck will be following for sure. what beans will you be planning on growing!/?

T

theratings

I had something in a space with that size head room. The plants were vegged out for awhile and a couple ended up bumping the top. If you train them early you should be able to keep them short and very manageable.

immaculate

Morning guys. About to finish the cab up totally and put in some beans. 3 popped this morning.

I believe that two of them are LSD beans, and one is just some random funky bean. Two others have not popped and they are misc.

I wonder what the chances are of finding a bullshit piece of duct at one of the cheap 2nd hand stores down here.

immaculate

Let there be light!

Unfortunately I've got some major light leakage. I need to get creative with this. I got some of that reflective bullshit per Cozy's advice but I'm having a hard time utilizing it properly. Should I just caulk the cracks or what?

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
caulk or weather strip should work fine for the cracks. If yer interested, check out the light trap I made for the holes in the floor. pg 4 I think.

immaculate

I don't necessarily understand your light trap.

Also, how's the scrubber perform mounted to the side like that? I noticed when I mounted the same exact one the carbon began to shift from the top if you get what I'm saying. And I thought I had it packed in there pretty darn tight too.

Thanks again for all your help.

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
The trap is a platform above the cab floor. The platform is ~.5" smaller than the floor, (length & width). 5/8" spacers between the platform and floor allow air flow. The platform also blocks light. You can cover the platform with pots w/o blocking intake.

The scrubber does ok. It's mounted to a blower, thus the side mount.

Here's a trick to pack the scrubber nice and tight:
Fill the scrubber about 3/4 full.

Pinch the mesh cups together on one side and fill the wide gap with more carbon.

Pinch the wide gap you just filled and use more carbon to fill the new gap.

Work in a spiral fashoin, pinching and filling new gaps until the cups remain centered when pinched. This means you've packed just about all you can w/o damaging the cups.

Carefully smack the scrubber, bottom side down against a hard surface. This will further pack the scrubber. Fill with more carbon if needed.

I use a tightly rolled paper towel for stuffing at the top, duct tape over the stuffing. Hope this helps - db

immaculate

Thinking about possibly doing some topping.

Any articles on the technique/process?

Gonna go the "lst" route too.

I've read a couple articles on the lst method that mentioned topping, but nothing on topping plants as a technique on its own...

ScrubNinja

Grow like nobody is watching
Veteran
I'd suggest reading up on FIM / FIMming. Instead of topping your plant and having two main shoots at the top, it can explode out with several extra shoots at the top.

immaculate

Thanks a lot for the suggestion.

The little runt is starting to take on a nice, healthy color, yet growth is extremely slow. The others are bushing out.

Anything on leaves curling down?

One from today

immaculate

So, I'm still curious about this leaf curling problem (if it is a problem). Simple search has revealed that it could be a number of issues. They haven't been "over-watered" by any means. Anyway, here's a shot of the fam. Think I'll post one up in the infirmary too.

Day 10

The little runt. Color is filling in. Though she's growing slower something tells me she'll be healthy.

This bad girl is curling heavily. I must admit there has been a fan in the cab blowing steadily, but I try to move the plants around so no to stress them too bad...

Our third girl. Curling some too.

This is our best looking girl. Why no curling here? She's been going right along with the rest...

Family shot...

ScrubNinja

Grow like nobody is watching
Veteran
On the curled ones, is that yellowing caused by the lights or is it actually on the leaves? How often do you water?

Latest posts

Latest posts