What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

azomite not available to plant for years?

V

vonforne

question, wont the root space be restricted to the newley growing plant in that container,especially if the original plant was pretty root bound all the way to the top of the soil? What happens to the original root mass in that container?

Everything will be digested and used by the soil microorganisms. Hence.....The Soil Food web. The old root system will have fungi attached........it only lives will connected to a living root system. The new roots from the fresh plant will come in contact with the fungi and it will attach itself. The old dying root system will enter the soil food web as .......food and will be digested and in turn feed your plants..........the soil food web is nothing more than the natural cycle nature has been using for over 450 billion years. It is born, it lives and then dies and is digested by the many forms of microorganisms to feed the next living cycle. A living soil. And the longer you keep it alive the better it will get for the plants being grown.

That is the part that should answer your first question of this thread...........

There are many inputs you make.....EWC (provides microorganisms of various types), food for those microorganisms to digest........glacial rock dust, azomite, guano, alfalfa etc. each having a different decomposing time. All aided in decomposing by the various types of microorganisms.

It may seem complicated at first but in reality it is quit simple.

Does that help a bit?

V

def helps alot, thanks. jsut wondering tho if if I should add dolomite lime if Im using green sand and earthworm castings?

V

vonforne

dose green sand make dolomite lime obsolete?

No. Greensand is a hard mineral. It mostly comes in a fine sand. Its major ingredient is potash or potassium. While Dolomite lime provides Calcium carbonate and Magnesium carbonate. Usually at a 2 to 1 ratio.......Calcium to MG. And Dolomite lime is best used as a powder.....remember what I said about decomposing times? Here is one example.

Each does contain a variety of other trace minerals in each.

V

V

vonforne

def helps alot, thanks. jsut wondering tho if if I should add dolomite lime if Im using green sand and earthworm castings?

EWC is very acidic both will help off set this but the PH thing is irrelevant in a living soil. The soil microorganisms will take care of this so don´t get caught up in the whole PH thing right now. Just work on creating a good living soil and it will take care of itself.

Study up a bit on each one of your input materials. EWC, guano, alfalfa, fungi etc and find what it is and what it does in correlation with the other inputs in your soil.

V

N

Nondual

Yes Azomite is 'processed' via microbes and root acids biologically. Don't bother buying into the Biozome archaea (IMO!). The dude claims he discovered archaea...not. http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/archaea/archaea.html The archaea in their product supposedly comes from harsh environments. Why use those when archaea are naturally occurring in soil and compost. http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2006/08/060817103131.htm

The reason why I use the term bacteria/archaea is because they cannot be told apart visually.
I remember the guy saying someone else was the key person who did the Archaea research who worked with the University of Texas in Austin called Oppenheimer who I guess is behind Oppenheimer Biotechnology but think the original guy is dead? The guy I talked to at Biozome, wanna say his name was Guy, said he was basically taking over in some way for marketing the product. He hooked me up with a guy in the Philippines who originally started Bountea I believe. The guy's name is John Evans. He said Biozome was key in the tea and agriculture projects he was working with in that country. Was also doing some bioremediation type stuff. But sure archaea present everywhere.

Well the scientific community separated Archae from Bacteria as it's own class but hear where you're coming from. Fairly recently that community put cyanobacteria back into the bacteria class which sticks in my craw but whatever and I've had some interesting 'discussions' about this subject in another thread about hydro.

Treat your soil as if it is more alive than your plants.
Oh absolutely. I forget about the plants and focus more on feeding the soil. I like lots of worms in the soil...a worm in every handful. Happy worms and microlife ='s happy plants!

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yeah Oppenheimer was the guy who claimed he discovered archaea or the Guy who took over claimed Oppenheimer discovered them. What do you mean by "Well the scientific community separated Archae [sic] from Bacteria as it's own class but hear where you're coming from" That is exactly what I mean.

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Mixture of humic, seaweed and yucca extracts; vitamins and
beneficial spores
13 carefully selected mycorrhizal fungi, 2 tricoderma species and 17 bacterial species
I can only read each type from the package and I do not care to type all fo their scientific names of the species lol

Cannabis/hemp is mycorrhizal (as far as I know) with the 2 species of endomycorrhizal Glomus Itraradices and Glomus Mosseae. If Trichoderma is in the mix it can interfere with these infecting the roots. You are better (IMO!) to use only a mix with endomycorrhizal spores or only Trichoderma species, however you can't hurt anything. The best time to apply endomycorrhizal spores is on the prepped cutting and/or the roots at planting time.

If you get into making compost tea you will be making your own microbial inoculant complete with bacteria/archaea, flagellates, fungi (not endo mycorrhizal; it only grows on roots)

N

Nondual

Yeah Oppenheimer was the guy who claimed he discovered archaea or the Guy who took over claimed Oppenheimer discovered them. What do you mean by "Well the scientific community separated Archae [sic] from Bacteria as it's own class but hear where you're coming from" That is exactly what I mean.
Well first I don't remember Guy saying Oppenheimer discovered Archaea but that he did a lot of research on them at UT. I cannot comment further. If he did claim he discovered them then that's simply wrong I guess.

Here's a 2004 Acres magazine interview FWIW...
http://www.acresusa.com/toolbox/reprints/Oppenheimer%20Interview_July04.pdf

As for the bolded part...from the link you posted...
The scientific community was understandably shocked in the late 1970s by the discovery of an entirely new group of organisms -- the Archaea. Dr. Carl Woese and his colleagues at the University of Illinois were studying relationships among the prokaryotes using DNA sequences, and found that there were two distinctly different groups. Those "bacteria" that lived at high temperatures or produced methane clustered together as a group well away from the usual bacteria and the eukaryotes. Because of this vast difference in genetic makeup, Woese proposed that life be divided into three domains: Eukaryota, Eubacteria, and Archaebacteria. He later decided that the term Archaebacteria was a misnomer, and shortened it to Archaea. The three domains are shown in the illustration above at right, which illustrates also that each group is very different from the others.

Further work has revealed additional surprises, which you can read about on the other pages of this exhibit. It is true that most archaeans don't look that different from bacteria under the microscope, and that the extreme conditions under which many species live has made them difficult to culture, so their unique place among living organisms long went unrecognized. However, biochemically and genetically, they are as different from bacteria as you are. Although many books and articles still refer to them as "Archaebacteria", that term has been abandoned because they aren't bacteria -- they're Archaea.
That's basically what I was talking about in that they appear similar in some ways but are not. It's been about 3 years since I researched all this so rusty. I remember Archaea as being pre-bacteria. They are among the most primordial life forms on this planet and pre-date bacteria.

You're the expert on all this and not me and I don't mean that in a sarcastic way and nothing but respect for the work you do. I'm just a dabbler and trying to provide some info which some of may be incorrect.

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
If you are talking about me saying you cannot tell them apart visually, this is true. They appear not similar but identical, unless one is using an electron microscope. The difference, typically, is the construction of their membrane. Because they look identical to bacteria under the light microscope they are normally discerned with DNA testing. Because of this and because I know they are ubiquitous in soil, compost, compost tea, I use the phrase bacteria/archaea so that I am all inclusive and so that people realize we are dealing with both groups. Prior to Woese archaea were being called bacteria.

Cannabis/hemp is mycorrhizal (as far as I know) with the 2 species of endomycorrhizal Glomus Itraradices and Glomus Mosseae. If Trichoderma is in the mix it can interfere with these infecting the roots. You are better (IMO!) to use only a mix with endomycorrhizal spores or only Trichoderma species, however you can't hurt anything. The best time to apply endomycorrhizal spores is on the prepped cutting and/or the roots at planting time.

If you get into making compost tea you will be making your own microbial inoculant complete with bacteria/archaea, flagellates, fungi (not endo mycorrhizal; it only grows on roots)

sp It wont hurt anything using the mix with both trich and endo spores? will it completely be utterly useless to use it or will it just make it still effective, but not as effective as just one or the other?

any of you experts, can you comment on this igreadient list that is fed to the worms from a company Im considering ordering EWC from. heres what they feed them, its a blended mix they give them to chow on. Ground corn, ground soybean hulls, wheat middlings, dehydrated alfalfa, cane molasses, calcium carbonate, porcine meat meal, dehulled soybean meal, ground oats, ground wheat, dicalcium phosphate, monocalcium phosphate, fish meal, dried beet pulp, wheat germ, corn gluten meal, salt, soybean oil, porcine animal fat preserved with BHA, folic acid, choline chloride, DL-alpha tocopheryl acetate, riboflavin, pyridoxine hydrochloride, nicotinic acid, menadione dimethylpyrimidinol bisulphate, calcium pantothenate, vitamin B-12 supplement, vitamin A acetate, manganous oxide, zinc oxide, ferrous carbonate, copper, sulfate, zinc sulfate, calcium iodate, cobalt carbonate)

are there any benefits of this as oposed to ewc fed just cardboard,manure an vegetable scraps?

Latest posts

Latest posts