What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Azad, kashmir

therevverend

Veteran
Nice one Black Bart glad someone else succeeded with the Kashmiri. One way it's noticeably a landrace is that there's quite a range between different plants. I've got a weirdo, tiny tiny plant that didn't SEX until the middle of September, now it's almost finished. Tiny tiny purple flowers. Looks like something you'd see growing on the side of a road. I'll get a pic when I can.

I had one very large Kashmiri, at least 10 feet tall. Big blueish-purple colas. I had a terrible time with mold, both my Kashmiris got hit. The big one did the best, quite well really but I can't say it's bulletproof. It's strange because it has no smell, you really have to try to get a bit of a coconut milk smell.

picture.php

picture.php

Wish I'd gotten more and better pics but it's hard in the chaos of harvest when you need a ladder to reach a bud.

The smaller one never put on size. It was a small plant from the start even though it had the same conditions as it's sister Never got taller then 6 feet. Early in September the stem was girdled with boytritis. The top above the mold never fully died but it didn't recover either. The leaves turned yellow and the buds matured at a different pace. This made me harvest piecemeal. The plant was highly susceptible to grey mold, much more then her big sister. Mold covering sections of branches and stem, plus lots of moldy buds. I started harvesting the last week of September, finally finished a couple days ago.

The parts below the mold line on the stem, were amazing. It's a shame she was so small because she was super frosty and had a great smell. I always have trouble describing it, the old Humboldt Superskunk had the same smell even though it's not skunky at all. Over the years quite a few strains have that smell. Now that I think about it in the early 90s we had a strain out of Spokane with the same smell. The flowers looked similar too. I have a friend who calls it fruity, but it doesn't smell like any fruit I know and it's not really sweet but very strong.

picture.php

picture.php

She'd have been one of my headstash plants if it wasn't for the damn boytritis. If I could combine the size, structure, color, and mold resistance of the big one with the smell of the small one I'd be happy. Guess I'll have to try again next year!

BlackBart

Veteran
Nice pics Rev . Yeah I really don't have much to go on since I only grew this one female . I still haven't tried her yet but will let you know how i make out . She is very resiny with average flower to leaf ratio . I still have a few seeds lest so I will give her a go again next year . Every year outdoors is anew experience so who knows what I'll end up with .

Thanks for posting your pics and info Rev

therevverend

Veteran
I've got a third Azad Kashmir phenotype, it's a weird one. I always question what a strain really is. I've learned over the years that people make up stories, a lot of times just for the sake of making up stories. Until we have a 'phylos style' project that isn't a rip off scam we'll never really know. This plant confirms a couple things about this strain for me and raises a couple questions. Here's the pictures.

picture.php

picture.php

She didn't sex until late August, didn't start to really flower until September. She looked like a scraggy landrace autoflower until she didn't Autoflower. Her resin glands, flowers, and caylxes look like Cannabis Indica Kafiristanica more then Afghanica. The likely feral ancestor of the Afghan hashplant. She smells wonderful, same smell as my 'medium' phenotype but maybe a bit fresher and mintier. I neglected her from August on, I barely watered her and left her rootbound for 3 months, I don't think fertilizing and watering her would have made much difference. She was always a little plant.

You can see the resin glands in the picture, they're hard to see without bright sunlight. They're tiny, the smallest resin glands I've ever seen. One of her branches got boytritis and had to be removed, the humidity has been very high. None on the flowers. I'll let her go a bit longer, haven't seen a hair turn color. No idea if she's done or not.

The big question is whether this strain is native to Kashmir or was brought there from Afghanistan in the 1970s? I've read descriptions of Himalayan type plants, lanky thin leaved plants that are hand rubbed, grown in Kashmir. That was probably further east, in the part of Kashmir that is now part of India. Azad is part of Pakistan, I wonder if sieved type hash has always been made there. If there are feral Kafiristanica type plants.

I noticed Bodhi released a Kashmir x 88G13HP I believe, part of one of his special collections. Glad to see that more people will get to try this strain. I'll be testing it here in the coming days, I'll post a description. This gives us, 4 different phenos? Bart's sour picklepuss, huge purple no smell over 3 meters, one 2 meter wonderful green ganja smelling, and one tiny feral type with the same wonderful green wintergreen ganja smell. I'm thinking a lot of the purpling may be from cool wet windy weather. In hot dry conditions it's probably less common. Range in mold resistance from excellent to medium to average.

The big question is whether this strain is native to Kashmir or was brought there from Afghanistan in the 1970s? I've read descriptions of Himalayan type plants, lanky thin leaved plants that are hand rubbed, grown in Kashmir. That was probably further east, in the part of Kashmir that is now part of India. Azad is part of Pakistan, I wonder if sieved type hash has always been made there. If there are feral Kafiristanica type plants.

First thing I thought not reading your text was, damn, looks like affie there. I would wager of course the majority of crops were intermixed at times. People were selling cocaine to Egypt by canoe a couple thousand years ago. Stuff got around. The silk road was gigantic. To be honest this does not surprise me much if intuition and conjecture turned out true.

misterD

misterD farmhouse
Veteran
Oh boy,

This original landrace have been brought into canada like 15 year's ago by a canadian soldier who was in afghanistan, in early 2000's the canadian army was there to support u.s troop!

Barefrog receive from him a bag full of seeds, prolly because he didn't grow anyway frank aka barefrog pop a lot of beans just to find a male from that fable smoke. The original beans was all really indica in therm of leaf/shape etc but for a reason we can't explain in the next generation we found many sativa pheno!

Well btw barefrog share a lot of beans with many ppls as bodhi

therevverend

Veteran
Oh I didn't doubt your story about the origins of this strain but it's cool to see the proof in the plants themselves. I read that you'd had trouble finding males right after I had culled my male this year. It wasn't a bad one but I already had too many boys and I didn't want to have to dig it back up out of the ground. If I get another one I'll use it. It was a bad year for seeds, all the moisture messed with the maturation. I still don't know if the branches I dusted on the big Kashmiri seeded and matured but I'll find out soon. Can't remember which males I used.

I looked at some pictures of Azad Kashmir, it's a beautiful place. Very green for that part of the world, I saw some alpine pictures that looked like Switzerland. It's the wettest part of Pakistan although it's got dry lowlands that look like the rest of Pakistan. Looking at the maps it's next to the NW Frontier Province, close to Afghanistan. The history is that during the partition of India in 1947. When the maharaja was stalling for time while he decided if he'd join Pakistan or India. Pashtun tribesmen from the Frontier Province, backed by Pakistan invaded Kashmir to overthrow the maharaj. Kashmir's defense forces weren't anywhere near strong enough to repel the invasion so they asked India for help. India gave them a quid quo pro, if they sent aid Kashmir would have to join India. The maharaja took their offer and they stopped the invaders near Srinigar. Of course we can substitute 'invaders' with 'liberators' but it's how the fucked up situation in Kashmir started.

The Indian army reclaimed much of Kashmir but they weren't able to retake the western part. It's part of Pakistan but still claimed by India. In the 1960s because of a map error there was a chunk of mountains in the north that Pakistan hadn't realized was part of Kashmir. After negotiations they gave it to China which is why part of Kashmir is part of China, which is claimed by India. We don't know what China gave Pakistan but it was probably very valuable.

The point of this is that the information we have on ganja in Kashmir is about the Indian part. We know very little about the Pakistani part and it's possible that wide leaf hashplants have always grown there. It's right up against places like Chitral that have had wide leaf varieties for a long time. From the looks of the strain my guess is that it's been grown in Azad for a long time, isn't a recent introduction.

Riamba

Oh boy,

This original landrace have been brought into canada like 15 year's ago by a canadian soldier who was in afghanistan, in early 2000's the canadian army was there to support u.s troop!

Barefrog receive from him a bag full of seeds, prolly because he didn't grow anyway frank aka barefrog pop a lot of beans just to find a male from that fable smoke. The original beans was all really indica in therm of leaf/shape etc but for a reason we can't explain in the next generation we found many sativa pheno!

Well btw barefrog share a lot of beans with many ppls as bodhi

Thank you for sharing the true story behind this strain with us. I've read that Bodhi received this strain from someone else, despite many times the big names get the attention.

Props to Bare for breeding the Kashmir, it looks like a lovely hashplant.

therevverend

Veteran
This year I've got two types, one tall plant that smells like exotic lemon hash incense, one squat short bushy with fat leaves and less smell. Can't wait to see how they turn out.

Here's the tall one.

picture.php

It's growing so fast it outgrew the picture. Around 4 inches a day. Here's the short squat one.

picture.php

Disappointing I don't have a male but I'll take two lovely females.

therevverend

Veteran
Looked at that bottom picture and realized it was an old shot when I posted it. The plant looks quite a bit different now. She's really filled in. Check it out.

picture.php

picture.php

My phone screen is fucked up, I keep taking pictures with the top of the plant cropped off. She grew a lot in July. Until a couple weeks ago she had almost no smell. Now she's developing her own fine incense smell. I have a feeling both of them are going to be special. Here's the taller sister.

picture.php

picture.php

That second picture came out interesting, seems like my phone ended up on a weird fish eye setting. The pine tree in the background got a lot closer. She doesn't look that different from my last post, I wonder if she's nearing her maximum height. She's still getting taller, at least a foot taller then the last picture. Well over 2 meters, maybe 7 1/2 feet. What's most striking is how slim and upright she is for a hashplant. Even though the leaves are nearly the same. I'll bet she isn't falling over next windstorm but I'm still going to support her with a pole.

MAHA KALA

atomizing haze essence
Veteran
i was reading about Kashmir it seems it rains alot 1000mm to 18oo mm a year in the Azad area. the Pakie part at least. Seems they should be mold resistant.

yeah per year, but the most important thing is if it is raining there during harvest time.. I doubt it, I would bet it finishes in dry autumn..

therevverend

Veteran
Did I say something about maximum size in my last post? The tall pheno keeps getting taller, she's at 9.5 feet/2.89 meters and is still stretching. She'll reach 10 feet soon. My tall one last year was closer to 8 feet. She's kept her slim look, very sharp crotch angles on the branches. I'm blown away by her beauty, as she's started to flower she's gotten that Himalayan look.

picture.php

On one side of the plant facing the sun most of the leaves have developed a pinkish purple spot on the fan leaves. It's light green on the rest of the plant.

picture.php

picture.php

Her little bushy sister is just as beautiful. These plants have a grace and symmetry that's incredible.

picture.php

The bushy phenotype didn't have much smell in Veg, now she's developing a wonderful lemon incense flavor. Big sister has always had an awesome fine Himalayan incense smell. Both plants are transitioning into flowering at the right time.

I've been enjoying the flowers from last year's harvest. Most of my cannabis at this point has reached it's peak and begun to degrade slightly. The big Kashmiri from last year had almost no smell, it's strange because it's developed a wonderful subtle hash incense smell. It's much stronger when you smoke it, the hash taste lingers in your mouth after bong hits. The potency has held, a wonderful mellow but strong stone. A chunk of hashish made from these plants would be incredible. I can't say enough good things about it, the only drawback is that I didn't get a male so I won't be able to keep it in it's pure form. I've got some wonderful hash plant type males this year so both phenos will live on.

Here's what last year's flowers from the tall pheno look like.

picture.php

ngakpa

Veteran
yeah per year, but the most important thing is if it is raining there during harvest time.. I doubt it, I would bet it finishes in dry autumn..

all of the Himalaya has a dry autumn

monsoon there starts in early to mid summer and should end around the autumn equinox

point being, all Himalayan landraces are very well adapted to rain

they take very heavy rain during early to mid flowering

and in some cases, they take heavy rain throughout flowering, as is the case with our Nanda Devi landrace, which is harvested during breaks in the rain from late August into September

Slim Pickens

Veteran
I had a generous member of our Cannabis community offer to share some Azad (Asad) with me.I had no idea how lucky I was to receive that offer.I had been offered before,but I guess I was not paying attention.We'll be running this one next year for sure.

Latest posts

Latest posts