What's new

awesome peat substitute.... not coco

Weird Jimmy

Licensed Patient/Caregiver & All-Around Cool Ass B
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I was reading an organic gardening magazine and found a tiny blurb of an article about a peat substitute. Those words caught my eye instantly, and after a little more research, I thought I had to make a post about it as I've never seen it mentioned on the forums before.

The substance is the byproduct of cow manure that has been processed in an anaerobic digester. Some dairy farms have them to reduce their methane gas output to earn carbon credits. I only found one company that actually bags and sells it as a peat substitute, but here's what the company says about it (they call it Re-peet):

RePeet™ the renewable peat-free alternative is the first real answer to the ever growing challenges facing the peat moss industry and its customers. RePeet™ is the soil amendment solution that the U.S. horticultural industry has been waiting for. It is a true peat moss replacement having undergone a life similar to one spent in a peat bog, but in a much shorter time. The primary component of RePeet™ is digested dairy manure which is processed through an anaerobic digester. Anaerobic digesters are the latest movement in the US energy market to discover ways of decreasing dependence on foreign oil and are most commonly located on a dairy farm. These digesters operate in a liquid saturated environment, void of oxygen like a peat bog.

Renewable. RePeet™ is derived from a residual; it is not a virgin material mined from the earth. It is a by-product of the dairy industry and, when processed correctly, is a veritable twin of peat moss. In blind handling tests, many industry professionals can’t distinguish mined peat from renewable RePeet™ soil amendment.

Responsible. RePeet™ soil amendment is a direct result of proactive residuals management from large dairy operations that are part of the renewable energy movement. Every cubic foot of RePeet™ is the result of renewable energy production in the form of biogas. RePeet™ facilities are among the most complete methods for capturing and utilizing dairy residuals ever.

Reliable. A RePeet™ facility is an in-vessel, processing facility. That means, unlike conventional peat mining, the facility is not affected by rain, storms and snow. Anaerobic digesters produce biogas 365 days of the year, so material is always being processed (harvested). Weather cannot delay the production of RePeet™.

Regional. RePeet™ soil amendment facilities are located at multiple, large dairy operations - found in almost every state in the union. Therefore, the facility that ships to the RePeet™ wholesaler is the closest facility. This means fewer trucks on the road for less time. It also means that RePeet™ wholesalers are contributing to a regional or possibly even a local economy when they purchase RePeet™.

Reasonable. RePeet™ is competitively priced with peat moss. Manufacturing costs are considerably lower than outdoor bog mining, harvesting, packaging and transport.

Replacement. RePeet™ soil amendment meets or exceeds many of the characteristics of peat moss. In addition to looking, feeling and smelling like peat; RePeet™ is more pH neutral than peat moss (6.5 vs. 4.5); RePeet™ has low salt content and as a result has low electrical conductivity; RePeet™ has excellent porosity and water holding capacity like peat; Cationic exchange ability is comparable to mined peat and Bulk density (weight) of RePeet™ soil amendment is very similar to that of peat.

The one problem I can find with this shit is it's availability. This particular company is in Oregon, and I didn't understand their regional distribution. I also could never get in touch with them to ask them about it. So I just googled the term "anaerobic digester" and the state I live in, and I actually found a dairy farm about 40 minutes from my house that uses the machine. I've read that most farms use it for animal bedding, but they're willing to sell their extra. Unless you live in Oregon, that may be your best bet to obtain it as well.

Anyway, google this shit and tell me what you think.... I'm already convinced and will be switching as soon as my peat runs out.

big_daddy

Damn bro,

That is one hell of a cool find........thanks for sharing it here for sure. I live in Washington State near Portland so I may have a fighting chance of sourcing it.

Did you ever get a price on it? Just when you think you're getting shit down..........

cheers,

b_d

S

Stankie

I've heard of pots being made from this, like peat pots. Never heard of it as a replacement for growing medium though.

Yeah same here, I've used the "cow pots" before that I guess are the same material...I'll have to ask the people at my organic garden center if they know about it

Azeotrope

Veteran
Sweet idea..... I still LOVE coco and absolutely hate peat. I will try to find this RePeet and add it as a part of my next mix. I love to play with new stuff. Thanks for the info.

Weird Jimmy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I never got any specific pricing . I've been trying to call the dairy farm that's by me, but the guy never answers (lol, busy ass farmer). So if I can't reach him by phone, then either this weekend or next, I'm just going to drive down there and talk to the guy.

spurr

Veteran
@ Jimmy,

I would not assume it's a good peat replacement until it has been tested for various properties like plant available water, plant buffer water, unavailable water, aspects of air porosity and container capacity; as well as particle size. There are many reasons why peat is a very good soilless media when amended with calcined clays, perlite, even aged/composted bark fines, etc; coco is also good for similar reasons (albeit coco holds [generally] more air and not as much plant available water as peat).

That is not to say Re-peat isn't good, but I wouldn't call it "awesome" until it has been tested, nor a peat replacement until it has been tested. There could be academic studies and tests done with it already, I have not looked into it, but I will as I have time. I am buying a porometer and a few more very high quality tensiometers at the end of the this month; those, along with microscope assays of biota, will enable me to carry out very accurate testing of all media types, including Re-peat. I will be sure to test re-peat and report the results, hopefully others in academia have already done testing but I have not come across any yet...

@ Stankie,

Same here, I read about re-peat some time ago in terms of making pots out of it.

@ Azeotrope:

Why do you hate peat? And why do you love coco? How do you grow? (top-down drench, drip-emitters, etc?)

big_daddy

Doing a little more research and it looks like they've also got a compost product that looks pretty good.

PowerPlant™

PowerPlant™ is the Northwest’s most consistent and yet most versatile soil amendment. A residual byproduct of the Columbia River Dairy, PowerPlant™ is a true compost. Manure-based feedstocks are generated and transported by the effluent flush network at the dairy used for rinsing alleyways, lots and barns. This process homogenizes the material before it is separated from the liquid through a slope screening procedure.
The nutrient rich base is then placed in windrows on the 150 acre, on-site compost facility—where it is monitored for moisture and temperature. All material is required to reach 135 degrees for over 30 days to meet EPA composting rules and insure destruction of any possible errant weed seeds or pathogens. Regular testing helps to monitor NPK values, carbon to nitrogen ratios, pH and salt levels.
After 16 weeks of processing, the near finished material is processed once again through a 3/8’ trommel screening plant. This removes any oversize material from the final product. The screened, peat-like compost is then stockpiled for a short time to cure. Finally, finished PowerPlant is loaded onto a truck and ready to be used in your lawn or garden.
PowerPlant™ Specifications / Data

Carbon to nitrogen: ~15:1 Nitrogen:1.54% Ece (salt level): ~4 Phosphorus: ~.40% Potassium: 0.9% Calcium: 2.10% Screening size: 3/8 inch pH: 7.8 Moisture: ~35% Clopyralid free Weight: Around 900 pounds per yard Lab comments:
“Salinity is safely low…” “NH4-N (ammonia residual) is very safely low…”
“Available nitrogen is excellent…” “Likely fully mature and sufficiently aged…” “The C:N ratio is very desirable…” “Very desirable accumulation of NO3-N…” Application rates. The following is a coverage guide for compost applied 2” & 4” deep.
To calculate your area to cover, multiply in feet the length of your project by the width for the total square feet. Then multiply by .17 (2 inches) for total cubic feet. (.34 for 4 inches) Then divide by 27 for total cubic yards. e.g. 20x20=400; 400 x.17=68; 68/27=2.5 cu.
1 yard:
2 yards:
3 yards:
4 yards:
5 yards:
6 yards: 160 square ft.
320 square ft.
480 square ft.
640 square ft.
800 square ft.
960 square ft. 1 unit:
2 units:
3 units:
4 units:
5 units:
10 units: 1,200 square ft.
2,400 square ft.
3,600 square ft.
4,800 square ft.
6,000 square ft.
12,000 square ft.

It's available locally here at several locations..........guess I'll be giving it a try.

b_d

Weird Jimmy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
@ Jimmy,

I would not assume it's a good peat replacement until it has been tested for various properties like plant available water, plant buffer water, unavailable water, aspects of air porosity and container capacity; as well as particle size. There are many reasons why peat is a very good soilless media when amended with calcined clays, perlite, even aged/composted bark fines, etc; coco is also good for similar reasons (albeit coco holds [generally] more air and not as much plant available water as peat).

That is not to say Re-peat isn't good, but I wouldn't call it "awesome" until it has been tested, nor a peat replacement until it has been tested. There could be academic studies and tests done with it already, I have not looked into it, but I will as I have time. I am buying a porometer and a few more very high quality tensiometers at the end of the this month; those, along with microscope assays of biota, will enable me to carry out very accurate testing of all media types, including Re-peat. I will be sure to test re-peat and report the results, hopefully others in academia have already done testing but I have not come across any yet...

[

Killer man. Can't wait to hear what you find out..

Scrappy4

Veteran
What about growth hormones and antibiotics or whatever else is in the cow shit? Does this not get passed down too? scrappy

Weird Jimmy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
What about growth hormones and antibiotics or whatever else is in the cow shit? Does this not get passed down too? scrappy

that's a good question. Of all the stuff I've read, nothing makes mention of that. I'm guessing it must not be too big of a concern?

The one thing I found was that if it wasn't processed for long enough that it could have excessive amounts of ammonia left in it. That would be horrible for plants... But the longer it matures, the ammonia breaks down into nitrites and then further into nitrates.

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Scrappy, Interesting point. I wonder.

Spurr: I'd be interested to do a microscopy assay in comparison to sphagnum peat moss. If someone PMs me who can get a sample to me I'll give you my address. If there were active antibiotics it should affect the bacterial levels.

Weird Jimmy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
awesome substitute for peat = compost

lol, I knew you'd find your way in here with that.... The only problem I have with compost is that it's hard to source. It takes a lot of time and a lot of materials to make it yourself, and the shit that comes from the store is WAY too manure based...

Tell me a good, cheap, constant source of compost and I'm all over it my friend....

Weird Jimmy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Is this the Re-peat stuff? It does not sound like it.

yeah, actually it sounds like their other product.... I can't imagine that they would test one and not the other though?

I'm curious for one of you guys to put it under the lens and tell us what you see...