What's new

AVID Health Concerns

GotChaman

There seems to be a lot of debate over its health risks...
Can anybody point to a good source, or reference website where we could get accurate information about this product?

qupee

Is there something unsuitable with the EXTOXNET data I posted earlier? Do you folks think Cornell University is biased or inaccurate or are you just ignoring it because it doesn't jive with your preconceived notions?

http://pmep.cce.cornell.edu/profiles/extoxnet/24d-captan/abamectin-ext.html

I agree with you, I dont want that shit in my medicine... I dont want avid anywhere near me. Now, its time to do damage control. Am I affected by handling plants that have been sprayed with this shit? Should I be wearing protective eqipment like a respirator, or gloves?

I mean, it seems pretty obvious that you're just looking for people to reassure you that what you already believe is true.

avant gardener

Veteran
Would you spray Raid on your weed then smoke it 2 months later?

Its not that hard to grow indoor successfully without pesticides, fungicides, whatever for PM, etc

I can understand dousing a new clone but fucks sake that's all it should take.

Stop hanging out at the grow shops or conventions around other growers carrying spidermites. Stop letting other growers visit your shit dragging their mites with them. Don't visit other peoples' grows.

If you can't get your bud pure, you are doing harm and I wouldn't call you a grower... just an opportunist.

Because of the slack grower attitudes in med states, they are most likely to have all this 'cide garbage sprayed on their buds. Its farcical.

Black market I rarely hear about these problems (unless they get a clone shipped from cali)

Fix your habits, fix your environment, fix your genetics, do what you have to do to stop spraying shit on your bud. Then you're taking care of your clientelle, and a grower not some punk with lights, spreading joy not potential misery.

i would generally agree with you lex, but in spite of best practices, shit still happens.

there are places that have bugs that eat azamax for breakfast and ask for seconds dude.

final solutions are just that. last resorts to which we hope never to need recourse. but i swear to fucking christ, they drop the little bastards from airplanes out here. try living in any city in an mmj state and not brushing into someone with a garden any time you leave the house. it's a goddamn crap shoot man.

in a market where anyone with a doctors note can walk to the corner store, supply is incredibly high. a lot of us don't have the leeway to scrap a grow if things go terribly wrong. i sure don't feel good about it, but i've had to use that stuff in veg to save a grow once or twice. and i'm completely forthright with my patients about it too. flower? hells no.

maybe those of us who don't have to duck the popo and aren't total recluses are just a bunch of lazy goldbricking hacks, but i rather enjoy it out here. from reports. i'm not the only one either. word on the street is that we still manage to crank out some decent flowers too (whether organic or clean hydro), arachnid plague or no.

in any case, with exposure to light, abamectin degrades very quickly. as long as you don't soak your substrate in it (and why the hell would you do that anyway?), it's half-life is 12-18 hrs. the greatest environmental risk is its toxicity to fish and other marine life. if it remains in aqueaous solution, the half life is between 2 and 4 weeks, depending on environmental factors.

notation: http://pmep.cce.cornell.edu/profiles/extoxnet/24d-captan/abamectin-ext.html

avant gardener

Veteran
i'll grant you my liberal use of toxic, in that it isn't the epa or fda levels... or that i really haven't a clue to the actual dosage i'm getting.

but you do have to grant me that the very fact you can taste/smell it, means you are taking in gaseous molecules... and that this is specifically warned against, hence the respirator & rei guidelines. you're taking in a straight shot.

what those exact levels are, i do not know. but it is specifically warned against.

anyway... we both agree... take some precautions with it & minimize the exposure to the best of ones ability. in the grand scheme of things, think we can also both agree that we get a shit ton of exposure to all sorts of things living in a modern city, so we've gotta keep it real, ya know? cancer should be the expected outcome... getting old w/o it, the exception.

most of what you smell in avid (or floramite or pyreth-it, or azamax, or whatever you have in the lab) is not the active agent. these chemicals are present in such low concentration as to be hardly perceptible, if at all. rather it's the inert solvent and emulsifying agents that you smell. think oil and dishsoap.

qupee

most of what you smell in avid (or floramite or pyreth-it, or azamax, or whatever you have in the lab) is not the active agent. these chemicals are present in such low concentration as to be hardly perceptible, if at all. rather it's the inert solvent and emulsifying agents that you smell. think oil and dishsoap.

I was going to say the same thing.

What you are smelling is almost certainly the solvent evaporating.

Dislexus

the shit spoon
Veteran
Dislexus; Do you always talk out the side of your neck. You do realize that the reason you don't have as many spidermite problems on your side of the country is because of environment right? We don't get as cold at night or in the winter. So our spidermites aren't kept in check by the environment. Come grow some in Ca then talk shit k.

No but you are always talkin' out your ass and are clueless about my climate. I guarantee you the winters where I'm at are way milder than cali, and nights otherwise are warm.

"come grow some in cali bro"

fucking LOL

Why would I want to be around spidermite infested dreadlocks everytime I go to the 7-11, and forced to poison my bud.

Marick23

No but you are always talkin' out your ass and are clueless about my climate. I guarantee you the winters where I'm at are way milder than cali, and nights otherwise are warm.

"come grow some in cali bro"

fucking LOL

Why would I want to be around spidermite infested dreadlocks everytime I go to the 7-11, and forced to poison my bud.

Well I spose if you live in Florida your winters could be warmer. Then you have humidity keeping them mites down. Still talking out the side of your neck. What I said was in was your environment is keeping the mites, and gave temperature as an example.

The funny thing is. You actually have a brain and some of your comments are spot on. Unfortunately you insist on squashing it the middle of a shit sandwich. Not sure why you keep trolling not only my threads but now my posts... Damn dog you on my jock or what? You want on the pay roll? I got a spot under my desk for you. Perhaps your looking to cure your boredom. I have no problem with heated debate. Stick to the topic and facts.

You miss quoted me, and regardless of the other posts saying the exact same thing. I am the only person singled out. Troll. Leave it be you aren't equiped to compete.

Latest posts

Latest posts