What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

av8or's PPK - First Grow

av8or

Here are two plants, a 9 Pound Hammer and The Flav. They are 2.5 and 3.5 weeks in, respectively. I attempted to supercrop a little on the 9#Ham, as you'll notice some scarred up knuckles in there.

I tossed a yard stick in there but it gets swallowed up.

I'm still learning how to manage a canopy but it's getting better each time. Notice The Flav is only getting two awkward sides of 550 watts. I rotated it while it was younger.

D9 - I'm happy to report The Flav at only two weeks veg, as you mentioned. 12"-29" in 15 days veg. Now, at the end of stretch almost three weeks into flower she is 60" tall and 54" wide. I know she's underlit, so we'll see what kind of weight she will pack on in the next six weeks.

Attachments

• IMAG3211.jpg
    IMAG3211.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 15
  • IMAG3212.jpg
    IMAG3212.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 15
  • IMAG3210.jpg
    IMAG3210.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 15
  • IMAG3214.jpg
    IMAG3214.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 12
  • IMAG3217.jpg
    IMAG3217.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 13

twist1uc

Yes and no, regarding bushes. I'll go take a couple pics and let you decide. I've noticed that the ppk / vertical lighting grows laterals so fast and strong that the would-be main colas turn into mini plants of their own. So they end up being really bushy.

It does take more time but I took advantage of my local laws and did all my pruning while the plant was below 12" so it didn't count against my limit. Because of this, it was arbitrary how long it took to get a 12" tall 8 cola plant. Even still, the delay was minimal. I would try it out a time or two and check the time/yield ratio against your usual runs. So much of plant training depends on your space and lighting. The way you are setting up, though, mainlining would absolutely kill it.

Pics to follow...

This was post # 420:smokeit::rasta::canabis:

NICE

twist1uc

I have 12 plants, four of which are in veg. Every eight days I harvest a plant and replace it with one from the veg room. My room is 17x10 with 600's (essentially) doing an X pattern around the eight flowering ppk sites. My goal is to be pumping out a one pound plant each time so I require a little more lighting and a little more space. I'm not the best one to give advice on room design, but if you're trying to grow trees, you should definitely consider a wider space, especially if you're going to drop vertical bulbs in an X pattern. You'll run out of lateral room really quick. Go check out Flower Farmer's latest grow. He demonstrates how to cube out every last inch of space in a room. If you aren't worried about plant numbers, you have so many other, likely more feasible, options than growing trees. But that's just my two cents.

You may of posted this, but how long are you typically vegging for?

av8or

Anywhere between 16-32 days. Most were around 24 days. Veg times start for me when the plant reaches 12". I'm flipping between 24-30" tall.

av8or

how do you like the flav?

As a grower, The Flav was a dream to work with. Extremely strong stems that hardened off really well, which supported the uber dense golf ball nugs. I topped her early and spread the canopy out with very little noticeable stall. I can't wait to grow The Flav again in the next garden.

As a consumer, The Flav and I only have a one-dimensional relationship. I turned the entire plant into a fresh frozen single pass run through the Terpenator and polished it off as some bright yellow crumble that is the talk of the town. Of course, I'm the only.person in this fictitious town but hey...I'm talking about it. Seriously though, it's tasty. Great plant. Definitely a fantastic addition to anyone's garden.

Attachments

• IMAG3490.jpg
    IMAG3490.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 13
  • IMAG3450.jpg
    IMAG3450.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 14

MrAwder

hey av8or,

just wanted to stop in and say i finally read this entire thread start to finish. i have dropped in here before on occasion, but never read the whole thing from the start. you do a fantastic job documenting all the highs, and more importantly - the lows of this hobby. i've been dealing with many of the same issues as you were back in the beginning and it's good to see there is light at the end of the tunnel. so thanks for sharing all the disasters and good job overcoming them! looks like things are headed in the right direction.

av8or

hey av8or,

just wanted to stop in and say i finally read this entire thread start to finish. i have dropped in here before on occasion, but never read the whole thing from the start. you do a fantastic job documenting all the highs, and more importantly - the lows of this hobby. i've been dealing with many of the same issues as you were back in the beginning and it's good to see there is light at the end of the tunnel. so thanks for sharing all the disasters and good job overcoming them! looks like things are headed in the right direction.

Thanks for the words, MrAwder! It has definitely been an interesting beginning for me with all the hickups along the way. I wish I could take more credit for overcoming them but really all I've done is listen to the growers that have come before me and take the general advice they offer. Being a newb, I was hoping to come across a thread from ankther brand new grower who things like a brand new grower and then documented their grow. A lot of the "my first grow" threads seemed to have a bunch of people who planted first and researched second, causing them to play catch up all the time. I decided that making my own thread from the very first day I put a plant in the ground while following the ppk'ers advice as best I could should make for a more beneficial read for everyone else. It's a little intimidating watching the pros deal with growing issues like it's no big deal. What goes through the mind of a newb? What thought processes did he/she use to arrive at that specific decision? These are the themes I wanted to campture in order that others might navigate their way through the ppk system with relative ease.

I had an old instructor pilot while I was flying in the army who couldn't teach new pilots very well because he was so far removed from being and thinking like a new pilot that his method of instruction was not effective at all. It took a younger, less enperienced aviator to speak to me in a way that I could understand and hopefully by doing a thread like this, the seemingly lofty advice the gurus give us newbs around here will be translated into practical "this is how you actually accomplish this task" advice.

Who knows....maybe someday soon I'll have half a clue as to what I'm doing! Thanks again for the encouragement, MrAwder. Now, if you'll excuse me, there are two Girl Scout Cookies and Sour Diesel trees need trimming!

McKush

Éirinn go Brách
ICMag Donor
Veteran
You know well enough cap. Mistakes aint no big deal anyway - at least the ones on the ground aren't

mello

Hmmmp after two full days of reading this thread from start to finish I didn't want it to end :watchplant:

On to the next one :woohoo:

Great job ! :good:

SuperWeed

As a grower, The Flav was a dream to work with. Extremely strong stems that hardened off really well, which supported the uber dense golf ball nugs. I topped her early and spread the canopy out with very little noticeable stall. I can't wait to grow The Flav again in the next garden.

As a consumer, The Flav and I only have a one-dimensional relationship. I turned the entire plant into a fresh frozen single pass run through the Terpenator and polished it off as some bright yellow crumble that is the talk of the town. Of course, I'm the only.person in this fictitious town but hey...I'm talking about it. Seriously though, it's tasty. Great plant. Definitely a fantastic addition to anyone's garden.

Nice work bro. She sounds yummy!

Thanks for the words, MrAwder! It has definitely been an interesting beginning for me with all the hickups along the way. I wish I could take more credit for overcoming them but really all I've done is listen to the growers that have come before me and take the general advice they offer. Being a newb, I was hoping to come across a thread from ankther brand new grower who things like a brand new grower and then documented their grow. A lot of the "my first grow" threads seemed to have a bunch of people who planted first and researched second, causing them to play catch up all the time. I decided that making my own thread from the very first day I put a plant in the ground while following the ppk'ers advice as best I could should make for a more beneficial read for everyone else. It's a little intimidating watching the pros deal with growing issues like it's no big deal. What goes through the mind of a newb? What thought processes did he/she use to arrive at that specific decision? These are the themes I wanted to campture in order that others might navigate their way through the ppk system with relative ease.

I had an old instructor pilot while I was flying in the army who couldn't teach new pilots very well because he was so far removed from being and thinking like a new pilot that his method of instruction was not effective at all. It took a younger, less enperienced aviator to speak to me in a way that I could understand and hopefully by doing a thread like this, the seemingly lofty advice the gurus give us newbs around here will be translated into practical "this is how you actually accomplish this task" advice.

Who knows....maybe someday soon I'll have half a clue as to what I'm doing! Thanks again for the encouragement, MrAwder. Now, if you'll excuse me, there are two Girl Scout Cookies and Sour Diesel trees need trimming!

I think most of the "gurus", who are guilty of this don't know shit. I have to deal with gardeners who know it all, all the time. Ask them if cannabis is a C3 or C4 plant, and watch their eyes glaze over.

I have forgotten more about growing than most guys will ever take the time to learn. I've lost more harvests than most growers have grown. I am not humble. This is why - ask me anything and I will explain it with experience, science, reason and truth. I will not keep secrets.

And if I am wrong, I like to be proven, with experience, science, reason and truth. I rather ENJOY being wrong, because at the end of the day, "The truth shall grow more weed".

Spread the knowledge, be humble if you don't know, be helpful if you do, if you are wrong, admit it quickly and emphatically, and overgrow the world.

av8or

Hmmmp after two full days of reading this thread from start to finish I didn't want it to end :watchplant:

On to the next one :woohoo:

Great job ! :good:

Thanks friend!! I'm glad you liked it. Hope it was helpful watching me stumble my way through my first grow. It seems like a distant past now. Still rocking the PPK, of course, just better!

av8or

Nice work bro. She sounds yummy!

I think most of the "gurus", who are guilty of this don't know shit. I have to deal with gardeners who know it all, all the time. Ask them if cannabis is a C3 or C4 plant, and watch their eyes glaze over.

I have forgotten more about growing than most guys will ever take the time to learn. I've lost more harvests than most growers have grown. I am not humble. This is why - ask me anything and I will explain it with experience, science, reason and truth. I will not keep secrets.

And if I am wrong, I like to be proven, with experience, science, reason and truth. I rather ENJOY being wrong, because at the end of the day, "The truth shall grow more weed".

Spread the knowledge, be humble if you don't know, be helpful if you do, if you are wrong, admit it quickly and emphatically, and overgrow the world.

Hahaha I couldn't agree more! It's difficult in a post modern world to use reason to prove truth in any subject. And yes, people absolutely mistake authoritative knowledge for ego. Michael Jordan isn't cocky if he says he's a good ball player. He has the evidence to prove it. I haven't logged on to this site for this very reason in a while. I keep explaining the same things over and over mostly because people don't read through older threads and prefer to ask day 1 questions on day 2,329...but hey, I get it. If you feed the animals they keep swarming. Once I finally got the hang of things and read enough and spent enough time working with other more experienced growers (much more), I feel I now have what I'd call a "working knowledge" of cannabis production. I'm not a breeder, but I'm about to start learning that next. Seeds are in the ground now. Spending the least amount of money to grow the most amount of the highest quality flower that I can is my goal. Like total drag chart, for you pilots out there. Sure, I could do better in each area but that would degrade another area. I think I've found a sweet spot, as it were, to producing great weed that everyone loves. PPK makes it too easy, you know?

Desert Hydro

Veteran
just looked through this whole thread. cant say i read everything but i skimmed it hard lol. i havent had space to run my big PPKs like i wanted to but i am getting a new spot in a couple weeks and im super pumped to get them up and running again. your thread and a couple others got me all fired up again. my first ppk setup i did 5 lights and 4 plants in the X pattern and got 5+ lbs off of 3600w. im looking to break the GPW mark this time with BIG LED COB arrays over each plant and also testing out some DE lights as well.

i think my COBs combined with the PPKs are gonna smash the GPW mark with a vengeance. these pics are of 1200w of COB covering a 4x8 and they are MONSTERS. each diode is only at ~38w. these are coming down in about 2 weeks and they are still getting bigger!

ps i really wanna start working my private pilot license soon. ive got a guy here who will do it for 6k and i can pay half down and the other half before i test out. 6k is a hell of a deal. i grew up in cessnas and i look forward to getting back up in the air. its like riding my motorcycle but better lol

thanks again.

Attachments

• IMG_1944.JPG
    IMG_1944.JPG
    106.9 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1945.JPG
    IMG_1945.JPG
    106 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1946.JPG
    IMG_1946.JPG
    68.4 KB · Views: 16

starke

SuperWeed: The last sentence of your post above is so spot on I had to incorporate it in my signature for others to consider. Hope you don't mind. If you do I will remove it.

Respect,
Starke

zeke99

the maximum rate of photosynthesis occurs at 1500 umols of fluence. but a 600 watt bulb has to be at about 12-14 inches to produce that. a 1k 18-20 inches. at that range you only have decent vertical coverage for 18-20 inches with a 600. 24-30 inches with a 1k. horizontal is, of course, real good with hps bulbs because of design, when used vertically.

Hello D9, What is the meaning of the highlighted sentence?

Latest posts

Latest posts