What's new

Automated Greenhouses

Starting the process of putting a greenhouse together for this upcoming spring. I'm hoping to get some insight and advice on choosing the best one for my needs and pocketbook. I'm looking for something around 30 x 96. I definitely want an automated blackout curtain. I'm debating setting up evaporative cooling, or having automated roll up sides. Any thoughts? Starting in the fall of next year I'd like to add a lighting system. And I think I'll install radiant heat on the floor. Winters are mild, snow is rare at 38 degrees latitude, and 2200' elevation. I've been looking at Conley's Mountain 1300 www.conleys.com/i/439/mountain-series-1300.htm . The other option I'm looking into is 35 x 96 rough brothers windjammer. Wind Jammer comes with...
-motorized vent
-Double inflatable poly
-6' bow spacing
- square galv. tube
-end wall framing
The Mountain 1300 is a little more then 4x the cost of the rough brothers, but its a package deal with the blackout curtain, environmental controls, and ventilation included.
I'm not sure if I'd be better off going with the rough brother's gh and adding these components. Just thought I'd ask what people think about these two options as I'm new to nice greenhouses.

Thanks
Thanks everyone!

A couple more quick questions
1. Does the windjammer have the structural integrity to support a lighting setup for the winter months?
2. Has anyone integrated an automatic curtain component to a rough brothers gh, or know of a system that would work well?

Dkgrower

Veteran
Since you are in the U.S, its pretty hard to give concrete advise..

But..regarding the automated curtain system, talk with the pepol that is going to set it up or buying it from, they will know what house the systems best fit into..Thats how most go about it.. getting a custom made system is expensive =P

Doubbel poly with a blower is a must, you avoid alot of condensation, improve insulation.

Also being able to roll up the side on the greenhouse is also very handy and cost saving on power

If the greenhouse frame-work can't hold a lighting system then it is so crappy that you should not even think of buying it, but i think most can handle it, if not all..

So my main point is find the automated black out system and then get a greenhouse where it fits.

Growing all year around in greenhouse with automated shading/lighting is alot of work so i would try and focus on 3 crops and then spend some time with familie and friends

Best move i ever made was going greenhouse, i have not been growing indoors for many moons and the more time you spend in a greenhouse you know that its the way to grow high quality weed with a low CO2 imprint and all the other pollution that comes with indoor growing

Btw you can use 1/3 of your greenhouse to veg in and then after each harvest, bam you are ready to rumble again..