What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Autoflower breeders are the reigning kings of cannabis breeding

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
I believe you're being too lazy or not smart enough. At least as far as understanding the full weight of what has been done by autobreeders. Photo plants are stupid simple in comparison to autos. Breeding autos is significantly more difficult, and even growing them properly can be rather difficult (as you've likely found out).

;)

midwestkid

Veteran
I believe you're being too lazy or not smart enough. At least as far as understanding the full weight of what has been done by autobreeders. Photo plants are stupid simple in comparison to autos. Breeding autos is significantly more difficult, and even growing them properly can be rather difficult (as you've likely found out).

;)
its just my opinion bud. sorry if i hurt your feelings.
one thing i did like about them was their cold weather performance.

bibi40

ive grown some autos and they arent my thing.
i think there's a time and a place for everything, so im not going to take a giant shit on them.
BUT i think mainly they are handy for people who are not smart enough (or are to lazy) to wrap their head around the concept of what a photo sensitive plant really is. understanding a light schedule and/or the increasing/decreasing light that occurs in nature is beyond some people.
(if your climate only allows for auto genetics please disregard these comments. you are using these genes appropriately)
that' s the point !

you can't compare it to a photosensitive plant ...

since it's not !

TheDarkStorm

i want to know the closest to a equatorial Sativa (original Haze , or atleast Skunk with mostly sativa Lineage) as a very good Auto version.
Ive got a auto haze out somewere on the go now...il let you know how it comes out and get some pics for you wen its further along....its only a seedling yet..but very very stretchy already.....
The best guys to check out for auto sativas....one guy which has been in it for along long time is stich from flash...and the other has spent years and years on his work too is le beuna herbia.....both of these guys specialize in mainly autoflowering sativa types an do regular auto seeds wich a lot of the other auto breeders hate and wont sell as people can make more auto seeds with regular auto seeds and they dont want that..they want people to keep having to by more auto feminised seeds again and again.... both of the guys have done alot of work with big sativas and auto flowering and have some stuff people I know have grown out and have said grow big and potent..i haven't tried myself yet...but if your looking for strong sativas that are potent and grow big like normal sativas outdoors but auto flower those two guys stuff is the stuff id look at as thats their specialty..with the breeding potential advantage they give you by giving you the option of regular male/female autoflowering seeds.

Crooked8

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I don't really agree.

Chem and even more so OG. OK, technically 30 years old, sure.

But who had them 30 years ago, a couple of guys maybe. Who had even heard of them 30 years ago? Not many.

Only during the last 10 years or so they have become more available and incorporated into breeding programs and then Cookies and all the dessert strains and so on followed. And because of that the "photo" options available today look quite different than they used to. You can like the new stuff or not, that's a matter of opinion, but unquestionably some kind of breeding has been going on.

Now with the autoflowers sure there has been a lot of progress. But it's not really accurate to say that autoflower breeders have taken a non-psychoactive variety and made it psychoactive with their breeding skills alone in some kind of vacuum. What has actually happened is that they have crossed autos with the photo strains, often these very new strains, and taken advantage of the wheel spinning you mention.. as they should, nothing wrong with that.

So it's not so black and white.
Honestly if anything the auto breeders needed the photo breeders best work to have a shot at quality, so who is the real work horse here? Imo auto breeders are successful off of the backs of their predecessors. Also, who chose Chem as the top dog? Plenty of people prefer other strains and find them higher quality, myself included.

Chi13

ICMag Donor
I'd argue good breeders breed for quality of the finished product. Probably my first and last post in the Auto section. I love the high from long flowering sativa's and landrace strains. Autos represent everything I don't want in my cannabis plants. 🤮

Last edited:

brock1

Over the past 3 decades or so, regular flowering cannabis breeders have produced some extraordinarily tasty & potent cannabis varieties, but Chem is now more than 30 years old and its still amongst the strongest and most sought after bud.
During the same period of time, auto breeders have taken a completely impotent variety of cannabis and turned it into many varieties which are nearly on par with the best regular flowering types.
Its not even a close contest, compared to auto breeders, the regular flowering breeders have just been spinning their wheels for 3 decades. Auto breeders are the champs.
But then you gotta ask how many hacked a modern auto to make these commercial auto. Only a hand full like myself, LBH, stitch, KrK, Moxi, ect spent years outcrossing old lowryder plant's to produce big yeild of high quality buds. A lot just jumped onto the band wagon and used a large auto to start their breeding.

brock1

Isnt alot of the auto breeding based on the low riders wich were all worked off Williams wonder.....Williams wonder was nevils oaxacan dwarfs x afghan(the Afghan probably nl x r)...nevil had already done the auto breeding work on the seeds in the 80s.....most of the autos today are all based on that work.
Took them years and years to even work out how to use the genetics properly. Even then they took the longest route possible.
Thats not exactly true from what I understand never breed photo sensitive strains from Ruby's not full auto lines. He also didn't breed 3 gram dwarf lowryder that moulded up if you pointed a spray bottle at it. I am pretty sure if a lot of us started with Nevelles works instead of joint doctors we would of saved a lot of time. This was a average Lowryder that yields around 6 gram of seeded buds. Something tells me Nevelles were a lot bigger.
gallery_73781_4410_15123.jpg

brock1

I'd argue good breeders breed for quality of the finished product. Probably my first and last post in the Auto section. I love the high from long flowering sativa's and landrace strains. Autos represent everything I don't want in my cannabis plants. 🤮
I grow 18 week flowering sativa auto outside. Sorry but its the only way its possible here in the UK for me. Unfortunately it means spending over a decade breeding & some documented grows of it online. I have Grown lots of sativas over the year's Original hazes, Mexican, Thai, African ect & i can honestly say if you put the time in you get a great sativa auto. That not to say its for everyone. If you live in a country you can grow 18 week flowering sativa outdoor then you don't need to bother.

Latest posts

Latest posts