What's new

Australian and New Zealander Smoker's Lounge TEMPORARY thread.

Pumpkin

Veteran
This is how the Gelato turned out
PXL_20230506_014708189.jpg

Pumpkin

Veteran
Only got a few seeds from the purple punch (barnys farm) all the plant were frosty as fuck. If you are not after yield and a punch in the guts, you can't go past it I reckon. Just a stunning plant. Mould is an issue though, the only plant I really had a mould issue with.
PXL_20230506_015009111.jpg

Pumpkin

Veteran
Watcha making?
I got 4 clones, the gelato, zkittles, purple punch and og Kush, crossing them all with the blue dream X green crack. I'll probably grow a few out and gift them to growers as well who are too old to order online or turn a computer on.

I'm not a fan of the gelato, the bottom buds were too sparse and that doesn't work for me. I am a fan of well formed bottom buds, as when you do larger plants you tend to have a fair portion of your plant in the shade. The quality was good, but airy bottom buds are a nightmare

SHO774

I just checked on my selfd mendo purps, she was crispy as I didn't bother going out to water her, no seeds unfortunately..

Pumpkin

Veteran
If it's for personal or you can throw the bottoms, the gelato is super sticky, I imagine it will smoke well, but you really want to trim your undercarriage and focus on what gets light.

Pumpkin

Veteran
I just checked on my selfd mendo purps, she was crispy as I didn't bother going out to water her, no seeds unfortunately..
Ah crap, yeah that sucks. I think when I STS next time I will use it at quarter strength. I have a lot of balls but the don't have a lot of pollen. I'm wondering if I went a bit too hard on the paint.

SHO774

This is my mendo mum, she's a bit of a pain. Just really squat and bushy, definitely have to trim the fuck out of it before flowering if you want buds to fill out.
20230506_133855.jpg

Pumpkin

Veteran
Thanks Pumpkin. I think I've figured out the issue. PH has been spot on, but I've been using a different cal mag supplement and didn't read the instructions right so wasn't using enough plus the dripclean has a lot of potassium in it so would likely have been contributing to the lock out, I've reduced the dripclean and increased the cal mag supplement which seems to have made them a bit happier. All part of the fun though, 52 doesn't seem too bad, hopefully the harvest gods bless you next season. :D
You don't need the supplement, most of the hydro stuff is a complete con. The supplements and extras the sell you have little impact but to your pocket. The base nutrition is enough most of the time. It's worth questioning the sales man. Give your plants the basics and the right environment, honestly the rest I personally think is snake oil.

Pumpkin

Veteran
The most honest nutrient companies just give you an a and b. Cyco, although Australian is just bullshit. You can deliver the same nutrients in an a and b. You don't need 15 products to feed you plants

Pumpkin

Veteran
Cal mag supplements are not needed almost ever. Don't try to solve a problem that doesn't exist.

Pumpkin

Veteran
I'm not trying to be negative, Cal mag problems are not often. Normally that lockout is a ph issue. But my base point is, you can't buy yourself out of a problem. If you are fucking something up in someway, correcting it is the learning. You being awesome will always kick arse on supplements.

Pumpkin

Veteran
I'm sorry for sounding harsh, but your local hydro store would rather you pay to try to correct a problem. They are not your friend. The problem is environmental more basic. When you figure it out yourself you will be so much better equipped into the future. I don't know the answer to your problems, but beware of the commercial advice as it it usually rubbish.

Brother Nature

You don't need the supplement, most of the hydro stuff is a complete con. The supplements and extras the sell you have little impact but to your pocket. The base nutrition is enough most of the time. It's worth questioning the sales man. Give your plants the basics and the right environment, honestly the rest I personally think is snake oil.
Normally I fully agree with this. But, what you quoted was from a coco only grow, using RO Water as a base, canna coco as the nutes, and blumats as the irrigation. The cal mag is needed as the canna coco line is made for harder water than RO and the drip clean is needed to keep the blumats lines from clogging up. Now that I'm back in soil I just amend the soil and use veg/flower nutes with the occasional boost product thrown in, which has had pretty good results now that I've got my soil mix where I want it. The below plants only ever been fed tap water and at 6 weeks flower, aside from a slight N deficiency, she's been pretty happy.

IMG_4414.JPG
IMG_4415.JPG
IMG_4416.JPG