What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Asprin kills internal plant virus', bacteria and fungi

Sam the Caveman

Good'n Greasy
Veteran
I haven't heard much discussion on here about using asprin water to fend off plants infected with a virus, internal pathogen(bacterial) or fungi.

I found a reference to a 2004 study done at Cambridge University that confirms longstanding claims that asprin helps struggling plants.

http://www.innovations-report.com/html/reports/life_sciences/report-27302.html

Yet another extraordinary ability of the active ingredient in aspirin, salicylic acid, has just been identified by plant scientists working at the University of Cambridge, researchers heard today, Monday 29 March 2004, at the Society for General Microbiology’s meeting in Bath.

"We all recognise its bitter taste and pain-killing abilities, but the importance of the active ingredient of aspirin, called salicylic acid, is even greater", says Dr John Carr of the Department of Plant Sciences at the University of Cambridge. "We now know that salicylic acid is used by plants to fend off attacks by viruses, bacteria and fungi".

The parent molecule of aspirin turns out to be made by all plants, not just willow trees and meadowsweet, and is used as an alarm signal when the plant is attacked. The acid acts as a messenger to help mobilise resources from uninfected parts of the plant, resist the microbes and respond even more effectively against further attack.

"Salicylic acid stimulates the plant cells to produce chemical defences called enzymes which directly attack the bacteria and fungal cells, but these defences cannot affect viruses", says Dr Carr. "We have now discovered that salicylic acid triggers three other distinct mechanisms to fight off viruses. It stops the viruses copying themselves, it stops the virus moving through the plant and it triggers a self destruct mechanism in the viruses’ genetic material, called RNA".

The abilities to stop viruses moving and reproducing are governed by changes in free radical levels inside the mitochondria, the cell’s energy generators. These changes are under the control of a plant enzyme which also protects the plant against poisonous levels of free radicals, and which can warm up flowers to attract insects.

"These findings have filled a gap in our knowledge of how salicylic acid works to aid resistance. This in turn will help us develop new ways to protect crops and plants, either naturally by boosting their natural resistance, or through genetic modification", says Dr John Carr.

Just thought I'd share this with everybody in hopes that it may help some of you who may experience some of these seemingly debilitating infections.

stonedar

Macro-aggressor
Veteran
Bayer (the makers of aspirin) makes several Horticultural products. In the US Lowes and Ace both carry their products, the big blue bottles.

Sam the Caveman

Good'n Greasy
Veteran
I wasn't aware of Bayer horticultural products containing asprin.

Do you know the specific name of the products in the big blue bottles?

T

Tr33

I don't think they carry aspirin within the poisons made, but Bayer does makes pest control products, such as Tree and Shrub which many here use to control Root Aphids.

stonedar

Macro-aggressor
Veteran
maybe I shouldn't assume they have aspirin in them although I always have assumed they did. I read the same reference paper in 2005 and in 2007 my Lowes started carrying so I guess I just assumed. pretty stupid of me to post my previous post without being sure, thats the kind of half-assed posts that always make me mad. can I give myself neg rep, lol?

anyway heres some of Bayer Advanced products http://www.lowes.com/SearchCatalogD...&catalogId=10051&N=0&newSearch=true&Ntt=bayer

Later today I'll pick up a bottle (out in my shed 3 miles away) and be sure.

I do think one of the products has salicylic acid in it, but again I shoulda been sure before I posted.

Sam the Caveman

Good'n Greasy
Veteran
The dose recommended in the article was 250mg per gallon. They said this concentration would not burn leafs on the plants they used.

Hydrosun

I love my life
Veteran
The dose recommended in the article was 250mg per gallon. They said this concentration would not burn leafs on the plants they used.

10grms in a 40 gal res, would be enough to seriously F or kill a human is it that much different for plants? I ask because the "Recommended" doses always seem to be WAY too HIGH from my exp.

:joint:

Sam the Caveman

Good'n Greasy
Veteran
That application rate is for folair feeding, so if you need 40 gallons for folair feed than, assuming the math is right, that would be the correct amount.

multiple greenhouses???

can you just add pills to the water during normal watering.. im dealing with TMV and powdery mildew. im wondering if the whole aspirin thing will help control the spread of the pm, or the tmv...

i got the tmv under control by keeping the stress levels low.. but this pm is being a bitch and i cant get ahold of eagle20 and its too late anyways im at day 20 of 50..
i dipped with dutchmaster zone and saturator. and then switched to control with seranade. and ill be dipping them all again with the dutchmasters.

so again does the asprin help with pm or tmv?

Jalisco Kid

the pills kick in SAR which strengthens the immune sys. I use 325mg dissolved in apple cider(about 2 oz) per gal. foliar feed. JK

zenoonez

Veteran
Doesn't kill viruses from what I understand though, simply prevents them from reproducing or moving within the plant tissue. It also has a negative effect upon trich production or so said one of spurr's papers.

Areebok

awesome post... thanks for this... btw how do you administer the aspirin to the plant? how many ml of water per tablet?

spurr

Veteran
FWIW,

Aspirin does not kill fungi or bacteria, it does however induce the plant's natural defenses which in turn affects fungi, bacteria, etc. And aspirin does not contain salicylic acid, it contains an analog of salicylic acid. AN Scorpion Juice contains salicylic acid.

The mode of action of salicylic acid as a SAR (Systemic Acquired Resistance) inducer is also found from the salicylic acid analog of asprin. There are many ways to induce SAR response plants, such as using salicylic acid, the analog of salicylic acid found in aspirin, harpin protein, chitosan, methylated jasomonic acid (the best choice), etc., etc.

A good goal for aspirin is ~100 ppm of the analog as a foliar spray, a while ago I did the math to get ~100 ppm of aspirin in a gallon of water, I can post how to use aspirin if anyone is interested. Also, ~100 ppm of salicylic acid has been found effect to induce SAR as well. That said, using aspirin or salicylic acid (SA) as a SAR inducer is less than a great idea for cannabis, the main reason is SA hinders glandular trichome development in terms of density and number. When using SA the negative effect on trich development is not large, but why hinder trichs at all if you don't need to?

For lots of info about SAR, salicylic acid and the better choice of jasmonic acid, you might want to check out my thread:
"Plant Growth Regulators (PGRs) thread"
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=196121
Also, a main reason to induce SAR, aside from trying to prevent fungal pathogens, is to induce greater growth and yield, both are commonly found after inducing SAR.

spurr

Veteran

The SA analog in aspirin is called "acetylsalicylic acid" (ASA). Depending upon wither "250 mg" means the amount of ASA, or of aspirin (which includes binding agents), the ppm of 250 mg in one gallon is ~66 ppm. Using up to ~100 ppm is fine too. If using 325 mg pill in one gallon of water that is ~86 ppm.

The ppm I wrote is not 100% accurate because I didn't account for molar mass, but it's close enough.

:tiphat:

spurr

Veteran
I just used 325mg (1 pill) per gallon on a few of them as a trial. I used dish soap as a spreader and sprayed with the lights off, heavily. I don't seen any sort of burn, and they look visibly perkier.

How often can I use this? Oh, and what's the word on sex reversal? I just used it in third week of flowering. Guess we'll see.

Do not use it more than every two weeks. Also, if using high level of ASA, ex., > 100 ppm, you can hinder AM fungi infection of host roots if that is something people try to use (AM fungi that is).

FWIW, IIRC using a surfactant is not needed because IIRC SA and ASA work by contact, they don't need to be adsorbed into the leaf or root. Also, dish soap is VERY poor surfactant and spreader because it has very little saponin quantity.

AFAIK, ASA and SA do not cause sex reversal, SA is found in plants naturally. I have used SA for years, and currently I am using MeJA instead of SA. And before I used SA I used harpin protein. I found SA worked better than harpin protein. At no time did I see any sex reversal when inducing SAR.

Oswizzle also has a lot of experience with SA and a form of jasmonic acid, so I am sure he can comment too about sex reversal and application schedule too.