What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Aspirin for plants!

dmt

Veteran
what you have read is very true. ive used standard no name aspirin in my rockwool saok for babies, in my res for my flowering plants and as a foliar for all stages to increase immunity to prevent anything before it happens.

case studies have shown that seeds sown and then sprayed with this mix of 1 tab to 5 litres plus a wetting agent will make control plants look like they are on steroids by harvest time, with no pests or pathogens next to untreated plants.

im almost 100% positive that advanced nutrients scorpion juice that sells for 50 a litre is just dissolved aspirin, and is fed directly to the roots during feeding to boost immunity and increase vigor,

great thread, d

I wood

Aloe Vera is used by many gardeners these days to boost the natural immune responses in plants.
Salicylic acid is one of the many good things in aloe that make it worth using as a foliar or drench.

Kalyx

I use aspirin on the regular for a long time and have never had any ill effects. I dissolve one 325mg tablet per gal of water, I do this for all my water, keeps plants healthy, happy with strong immune systems.

-Kalyx :tiphat:

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Florists have used that for decades. I prefer "willow water".

Some compare the use of an aspirin solution to that of willow water. Old-timers used to use willow water to help cuttings develop roots. You chop up a bucket of willow leaves and twigs and cover the plant material with water. Let it set for 24-48 hours. Then, use the water on cutting beds or to water newly set plants.

Supporters of aspirin water say they get the same results — healthy plants, better root systems and greater disease resistance. Some gardeners even advocate gently watering seeds with aspirin water before you cover them in the garden.If you would like to give this a try this season, any aspirin product will work, say both scientists and gardeners. The solution is 250 to 500 milligrams (one or two regular aspirin tablets) of aspirin per gallon of water.

Treatments are made once every three weeks throughout the growing season. A word of warning — more is not better. Whether you use the solution as a foliar spray or soil drench, too much aspirin can burn the plant.

GET MO

Registered Med User
Veteran
I cant get the shit to dissolve all the way for shit. I put it in hot water, ground it up, smashed it, it always seems to settle on the bottom regardless of the particle size...

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I cant get the shit to dissolve all the way for shit. I put it in hot water, ground it up, smashed it, it always seems to settle on the bottom regardless of the particle size...

Sounds like buffered aspirin. Get the generic, plain ol' aspirin....or cut down willows nearby creeks.

GET MO

Registered Med User
Veteran
uncounted? Im guessing you mean uncoated, yeah i just checked mines, they are equate coated tablets. the inactive ingredients are corn starch, dibasic calcium phosphate dihydrate, hypromellose, talc, and triacetin. Are any of those ingredients counter productive? It still says 325 mg aspirin, wonder if its disolving and thats the other stuff hitting the bottom... Still gonna look for some uncoated.

RetroGrow

Veteran
Posted this many times before. Aspirin should be uncoated. I use it as a root drench. One 325 Mg. tablet per gallon. It is also a growth hormone.
From Wiki:

Salicylic acid (SA) is a phenolic phytohormone and is found in plants with roles in plant growth and development, photosynthesis, transpiration, ion uptake and transport. SA also induces specific changes in leaf anatomy and chloroplast structure.[which?] SA is involved in endogenous signaling, mediating in plant defense against pathogens.[9] It plays a role in the resistance to pathogens by inducing the production of pathogenesis-related proteins.[10] It is involved in the systemic acquired resistance (SAR) in which a pathogenic attack on one part of the plant induces resistance in other parts. The signal can also move to nearby plants by salicylic acid being converted to the volatile ester, methyl salicylate.[11]

GET MO

Registered Med User
Veteran
well shit, looks like ima have to order some online, looked everywhere then asked the pharmacist, they said havent seen any uncoated for some time now. Then I looked harder, and they said "always coated" on them, haha! Well in the meantime, and since aspirin is so cheap, I got a few different kinds because of the different ingredients.... so heres the breakdown:

equate(already posted):
corn starch
dibasic calcium phosphate dihydrate
hypromellose
talc
triacetin

Bayer:
Carnauba wax(maybe)
corn starch
hypromellose
powdered cellulose
triacetin

CVS Genuine aspirin:
corn starch
hypromellose
polyethylene glycol
propylene glycol

After a few minutes it seems the CVS version is disolved more so than the other ones, with bayer in second place...
picture.php

picture.php

Top.Shelf

Go to the equivalent of a supermarket (what we call em in the UK), somewhere like Wall-mart I imagine, and look for 'dipersible' aspirin which dissolves completely leaving no residue or very very little at best, very quickly too

RetroGrow

Veteran
You can find un-coated...just have to look..if not, order it online from Walmart or Walgreens. They all have it. The dopers buy up all the un-coated though. You can also get salicylic acid, liquid, from CVS around me. It's in the pharmacy area, behind the counter. Ask for it. Never tried it though, so don't know what the dosage would be. The aspirin they sell for heart health, low dosage, is not coated, but it's only 81 Mg.

Latest posts

Latest posts