What's new

Aspen Cannabis Crown Winners RMR...

P

Paco

huffington post has an article on the cup, they talk about candy kush quite a bit in it.

How do you guys know a strain is really that strain?
Do you think the growth of labs and testing will allow more accurate strain tracking/naming?
Do you think, for medicinal purposes, it is less about strains and more about indica/sativa and the thc/cdb stuff?

veta

hey warren,

I can say yes to both. We are launching DNA profiling of strains via RFLP and STS mapping before the end of summer. The methods are in place, we just need to get them working on a high through put scale. Both will allow clone tracking, IE what is this clone called by other people, and who is using identical gentics. The second will also allow a degree of lineage tracking, allowing for us to know the true diversity that exists in the field. Early research suggests that the bulk of current medicinal strains are all derived from a very small set of strain developed in the the late 70's/early 80's.

Its more than just the cannabinoids, there is emerging evidence that the flavoinoids and terpenoids in the plant also effect the medicinal properties. As the dawn of sciences true participation in cannabis approaches, older terms like indica/sativa % will fall by the way side.

T

Tr33

The only way to correctly track strains is through DNA barcoding, Veta what methods would you be using to track genetics, variance, drift, etc...

.♠.

Isn't the Kandy Kush a 4-way cross?

That isn't a strain, its a poly-hybrid. If you are able to track down seed you will have to sift through a ton to find the same expressions as in the "Kandy Kush" cut.

Tripsick

Experienced?
Veteran
DNA profiling of strains via RFLP and STS mapping

DNA profiling of strains via RFLP and STS mapping

We are launching DNA profiling of strains via RFLP and STS mapping before the end of summer. The methods are in place, we just need to get them working on a high through put scale. Both will allow clone tracking, IE what is this clone called by other people, and who is using identical gentics.

I figured this will need its own thread...
I have some questions if this is even possible.

So how do you know what you're starting with it what it says it it.
Where do you get the control?

So like "ChemDawg" you're going to be able to tell us what its made from? down to pheno type?

All the bag seeds i grow out you will be able to tell me what they are by a sample?

Or is it to say yes that is what we believe to be chemdawg as its matches all the other samples we have ever tested? if so thats cool and seems like it may take awhile with just one lab doing it to build that database of genes..

Last edited:

veta

we have a AFLP (Amplified Fragment Length Polymorphism) method that was investigated by the UN for tracking of wild and drug type cannabis. I have modified it somewhat to reduce costs and get better reproducibility. While it can not track lineage, it does allow a unique DNA fingerprint to be devloped for ANY strain of cannabis without the need of an extensive marker database. It does allow strains that are clones (strains that are propogated through cloneing and not seed) to be identified and matched.

The other method I have not played with as much, but I like the data I have seen so far is a STS (sequence-tagged site) method. It uses 14 STS right now and can give a unique profile for a strain, and has the potential to track a strains lineage, given a large enough database of individuals...

Both methods are identical to those used in criminal and paternity DNA testing labs.

There is not such thing as "DNA barcodeing", or I don't understand what you are talking about.

Latest posts

Latest posts