What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Arizona: Growshop scene?

]A[Boss

looks like they will change it to where you will have to be a resident for 2+ years before opening a dispensary

Eli Bloom

I only know of 3 shops in the Phoenix area and 2 in Tucson area and at least 1 in Flagstaff opening next month.

what's the deal with this? i'm seeing websites and such for dispensaries but they haven't even issued licenses. there are a limited amount of licenses and i would imagine a lot of people applying for them.

how do they decide who amongst the qualified gets licensed?

do these "dispensaries" already have locations that they're paying rent on, and have lights hung, ready to begin growing when they get the okay? or are they just business plans?

i'm interested in starting a co-op out there. i lived there years ago and my family still does. i still have my az license too so i should be okay as far as that goes.

Eli Bloom

the impression i'm getting from AZDHS.GOV is not that they're raping the bill at all, in fact, it seems the opposite. they proposed an idea, listened to people's feedback, and will have another draft i think tomorrow or the next day, and then are going to wait for feedback on that from the public as well.

I get the impression that they're going to change a lot of things. this is the list taken of things they said that most people commented on that they are going to address in the newest draft:

The definition/requirements for patient-physician relationship;
Adding additional medical conditions including mental illness, PTSD, fibromyalgia, depression, etc.;
The fee structure (especially for patients with limited income);
The 25 mile limit for patient/caregiver cultivation (which is actually in the Initiative, not the rules);
The requirement that dispensaries cultivate 70% of their own product;
The processes for approving dispensary registration certificate;
The requirement that dispensaries have a medical director;
The qualifications for medical directors (e.g. allow other medical professionals including a pharmacist, naturopathic physician, homeopathic physician, family nurse practitioner, physician assistant, or registered nurse to be the medical director);
The 2 year residency requirement for dispensary applicants; and
The requirement that cultivation facilities be licensed in association with a dispensary (which is actually in the Initiative).

these all seem like good things to me.

although since there are only going to be 150 dispensaries, and a lot of people are already well on their way with big funding and probably without criminal records, i may not have a shot at it. however, i think that collectives or coops may still be allowed, and even if not i could be an honest caregiver.

there are a lot of legitimate patients in AZ and i hate to think of them all having to resort to being raped by dispensaries that offer some bullshit like a free gram to people that sign them on as their primary caregiver, thus allowing the dispensary to get rich.

]A[Boss

the 25 mile radius grow thing wont change. that's there to stay. They rigged that part real good for themselves :/

makeasound

what's the deal with this? i'm seeing websites and such for dispensaries but they haven't even issued licenses. there are a limited amount of licenses and i would imagine a lot of people applying for them.

how do they decide who amongst the qualified gets licensed?

do these "dispensaries" already have locations that they're paying rent on, and have lights hung, ready to begin growing when they get the okay? or are they just business plans?

i'm interested in starting a co-op out there. i lived there years ago and my family still does. i still have my az license too so i should be okay as far as that goes.

I believe he was referring to grow shops (hydroponic stores).

makeasound

I thought this new draft was an excellent improvement for patients. The process of getting a card is a lot faster and easier.

Dispensaries should be placed in areas of high(er) population, where there will be a demand... Not out in the middle of nowhere, where there is a realistic chance there could be 0 patients nearby. The CHAAs seem to be designed to keep people from growing in their homes. There must be a better way to determine where the dispensaries will be spread across the state.

AzGrOw-N-sMoKe

they're pushing to get the 25mile rule droped an the lottery switched to the most qualified to assist patients... there also thinking of switching the 2 year to 3 year resident to help keep cats from other states from jumping ship an comeing over, keep it local...

az

MF Grimm

they're pushing to get the 25mile rule droped an the lottery switched to the most qualified to assist patients... there also thinking of switching the 2 year to 3 year resident to help keep cats from other states from jumping ship an comeing over, keep it local...

az

That is very, very good news to hear.

O

OGfarmerted

"I could have sworn I heard him do an interview where they were discussing substance and substance abuse and Joe said that he was against marijuana, except in instances where it was for medical use."

you did hear him say it and he has since gone back on that. Joe is the biggest asswipe there is in Arizona.

Last edited:
O

OGfarmerted

as far as the valley , i believe there are 4 hydro/grow stores in existence, SeaOfGreen and two others. the others are more mom and pop like a previous poster said and Ive checked their sites, they don't offer as much as sea of green.

Ive been loyal to SeaOfGreen since 1999 when i bought my first light and set up off of treg. American Agritech,Botanicare are also local. I dont think there will be a great need for retail places as the growing laws are insane here. it not even worth the trouble to get legal in my opinion. the caregivers or dispensaries will use wholesalers and possible out of state vendors for certain items. you can also count on most grow ops to be up north as Arizona doesnt allow outdoor growing and for the buildings to kept cool with grow lights in 115 degree temps outside will be a chore. Arizona has produced a clusterfuck with the passing of prop 203.

Its more trouble and risk to come out of the closet(lol) literally.
Guess Im gonna be an outlaw for life.
gonna crack these new plush berry beans soon.
good luck

Last edited:

moutaingrown

I live up north in the moutains and i am convinced that this is gonna be for rich people to get richer................could be wrong but time will tell for sure

Dignan

The Soapmaker!
Veteran
I thought this new draft was an excellent improvement for patients. The process of getting a card is a lot faster and easier.

Dispensaries should be placed in areas of high(er) population, where there will be a demand... Not out in the middle of nowhere, where there is a realistic chance there could be 0 patients nearby. The CHAAs seem to be designed to keep people from growing in their homes. There must be a better way to determine where the dispensaries will be spread across the state.

There are bound to be several dispensaries placed in locations that are way the hell out there, but those dispensaries will be viable businesses. Not because they will have patients lining up at the counter, they won't. But what a person can do is scoop up one of those licenses in Timbuktu, set up a very small retail space and then focus all of your efforts on cultivation. Dispensaries can sell to dispensaries, so it would be a relatively lucrative business.

makeasound

There are bound to be several dispensaries placed in locations that are way the hell out there, but those dispensaries will be viable businesses. Not because they will have patients lining up at the counter, they won't. But what a person can do is scoop up one of those licenses in Timbuktu, set up a very small retail space and then focus all of your efforts on cultivation. Dispensaries can sell to dispensaries, so it would be a relatively lucrative business.

From a business perspective, yes, I agree... There is a lot of potential in the certificate. For the patient, this will likely result in higher prices and harder access. Unfortunately, I believe the CHAA map is here to stay.

BTW, I'll just throw this out there...
I am a hopeful dispensary applicant in Southern Arizona. Working day-by-day to get everything in line for May. I'm interested in getting in touch with growers, patients, and cannabis experts in my area. Please send me a PM, if you're out there.

Dignan

The Soapmaker!
Veteran
The CHAAs are definitely here to stay, unless ADHS makes a serious about-face when the final rules are published. And the CHAAs are definitely designed to severely limit home cultivation. The DHS has explicitly cited this as their primary motivation. They aren't concerned with serving sick people or providing safe and easy access. They are only concerned with keeping weed out of the hands of recreational users. Throwing the proverbial baby out with the bathwater.

One can only hope that SOME niche within the cannabis industry will pool their resources once they start turning a profit and use their weight to launch legal challenges to the DHS. Or in the case of the 25-mile halo, to launch a new voter initiative for 2012 that will amend Prop 203 and allow home cultivation.

The dispensaries certainly will NOT be the ones pooling their resources to pay for that fight! LOL Anyone with a license is going to be sitting pretty in this state-condoned quasi-monopoly that is being created.

Grow shops will be key, as they have a financial interest in patients being allowed to legally grow in their homes.

Also, patient-caregiver networks, if they get off the ground and enjoy any kind of success, would have a dog in that fight, too.

Interesting times. It's going to get weirder. But I believe it's progress. I have already heard two stories of incidents (one in Flag and one in Sedona) where visiting Californians had encounters with police who inspected their marijuana, inspected their California med cards, and allowed the visitors to be on their merry way, with all of their bud.