What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Arizona Becomes the 13th State to Legalize Marijuana

azbro13

My understanding is that those limits are only for transport. The initiative was kind of confusingly written, but it does seem that the limits only apply outside your home. Because seriously, who could grow 12 plants (the maximum if there are 2 or more adults living there) and not end up with more than an oz?? :biggrin:

Yes that is correct. Here is the relevant text of the new law:

2. POSSESSING, TRANSPORTING, CULTIVATING, OR PROCESSING NOT MORE THAN SIX MARIJUANA PLANTS FOR PERSONAL USE AT THE INDIVIDUAL’S PRIMARY RESIDENCE, AND POSSESSING, PROCESSING AND MANUFACTURING BY MANUAL OR MECHANICAL MEANS, INCLUDING SIEVING OR ICE WATER SEPARATION BUT EXCLUDING CHEMICAL EXTRACTION OR CHEMICAL SYNTHESIS, THE MARIJUANA PRODUCED BY THE PLANTS ON THE PREMISES WHERE THE MARIJUANA PLANTS WERE GROWN IF ALL OF THE FOLLOWING APPLY:

(A) NOT MORE THAN TWELVE PLANTS ARE PRODUCED AT A SINGLE RESIDENCE WHERE TWO OR MORE INDIVIDUALS WHO ARE AT LEAST TWENTY-ONE YEARS OF AGE RESIDE AT ONE TIME.

(B) CULTIVATION TAKES PLACE WITHIN A CLOSET, ROOM, GREENHOUSE OR OTHER ENCLOSED AREA ON THE GROUNDS OF THE RESIDENCE EQUIPPED WITH A LOCK OR OTHER SECURITY DEVICE THAT PREVENTS ACCESS BY MINORS.

(C) CULTIVATION TAKES PLACE IN AN AREA WHERE THE MARIJUANA PLANTS ARE NOT VISIBLE FROM PUBLIC VIEW WITHOUT THE USE OF BINOCULARS, AIRCRAFT OR OTHER OPTICAL AIDS.
Of course I expect over-zealous anti-weed prosecutors and sheriffs to try to challenge this part through some sketchy and disingenuous interpretation of the law like they did with the medical law with regards to concentrates. In that case, the AZ supreme court did the right thing and confirmed that the medical law expressly allowed all forms of concentrates. I think it is likely that any question about keeping however much you grow at your house, as long as it doesn't leave the house, will be resolved in a similar way.

I heard rumors of a new voter initiative being discussed by some citizens that would allow cannabis farmer's markets where we could buy and sell to each other. I am going to look into it and see if I can participate in that process. Maybe we could get that on the 2022 ballot.

I also think that federal decriminalization, through delisting or rescheduling is very likely in the next few years, maybe even outright legalization.