What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Are you a seed hoarder?

Green_Skunk

Man some of you guys have an insane amount of seeds! I am envious! I like hearing about other peoples collections and it also makes me not feel so bad about phenin for phenos! haha

B

bigganjabud

had a fat collection at one point but not compared to some people on here

Emperortaima

Namekian resident/farmer
It's a very very bad habit I'll have to admit. I have a priority list for what goes next the only exception is if I were to test some gear for someone who needed testing done haha

Emperortaima

Namekian resident/farmer
wait until you make your own seed. that is when the obsession begins.

My pollen chucking/breeding journey starts this year so I will definitely get the experience and grow such a similar obsession, that was the best post on this thread

YetiOG

I think I got the bug and can't stop looking for new genetics to pick up. I recently scored some Seed Junky Animal Mints BX1. Their Mimosa on IG looks damned pretty too but I haven't seen them listed yet. I Pretty much like anything with cookies or OG. Any suggestions for a good seed version of cookies? Or a very lemon tasting OG?

What have you scored lately or are looking forward to dropping soon?

Oh and HELLO ICMAG! :tiphat:

Im a og, chem, diesel and cookie snob

troutman

Seed Whore
wait until you make your own seed. that is when the obsession begins.

:peek:

I'm harvesting seeds now and will be sending another type of
Cannabis into flowering soon just to make even more seeds.

I'm going to end up in seed rehab soon enough. :biggrin:

brown_thumb

I invest a little bit here and a little bit there... a few junk silver coins, some freeze dried foods, water storage, ammunition, etc. but I don't go overboard with anything. If my recent order of seeds arrives safely then I'll soon have about 400 seeds stashed away.

B

beanz

the amount seeds you have isn't anything to be proud off , the amount plants you see from those seeds is ....

guys with big lists don,t impress me , guys with big lists and big hearts do . ;)

sorry to go against the grain , but i,m sure you all get my point.......i rekon its a good progression making your own seeds , tends to make you want to be sharing .

YetiOG

Thats fantastic, YetiOG. Any favorite seeds you hold of those lines?

Haha i have a few around. For cuts i have in house, im missing 4 of my favorite OGs but they are in backup. Heres what i have for cuts and seeds

Cuts : loompas yeti, tuna can kush, green ribbon, daywrecker x og, forest fire, irene s1, forum cookie x (gg4 x cookie male), cherry pie x og

Beans: chunkypigs ogkb cookies, goji og, kimbo kush, gg4 x sour d, the fuzz, green ribbon bx, stadog s1 (corey cut)

Theres lots more i just cant remember it all. Thats the juicy stuff that pops into my mind first.

lilburley

I have a seed collection that has been steadily growing for around 10 years now. what's more, I had an older stash that was just as massive, that i lost, somehow. my current collection represents my attempt to rebuild after the older batch was lost. in my older lost collection, I can't recall all I had, but I had stuff like reeferman newberry, big sur holy weed, joey weed sugar berry, early bean ho crosses, stuff from willy jack seeds, etc. lots of goodies. it makes me sick to think about the stuff I lost

brown_thumb

I hoard a small amount of everything in case of experiencing a bad situation... food, water, junk silver coins, ammo, etc. I don't hoard a LOT of cannabis seeds... that is if 400-1000 seeds isn't a 'lot'.

LifeLess

Veteran
I wanna be a seed whore. Whats the best way to store seeds for long periods. At what point are they less viable? Thanks

OregonBorn

I wanna be a seed whore. Whats the best way to store seeds for long periods. At what point are they less viable? Thanks

If you freeze them they will last virtually forever. I have had good germination rates with 20 year old frozen seeds. Short of that, a cool dry place. With an emphasis on ~dry~. Any moisture or high humidity and they will go off.

troutman

Seed Whore

I now store my seeds in microcentrifuge tubes in a refrigerator and have germinated seeds that were 9 years old this year. :tiphat:

brown_thumb

I've read that freezing can damage seeds if they have too much moisture content. However, that may be less common than I thought... I don't know. For now, I'm keeping mine in small ziplock bags inside an insulated (bubble) envelope in my refrigerator at approximately 37 degrees F.

troutman

Seed Whore
Using dry white rice inside a container full of seeds acts as a natural dessicant.

Silica gel beads works great and I do use them also.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran

Freeze is best... IF... You have a freezer that does not auto defrost.
Auto defrost freezers add a year to a seeds life every time they thaw then freeze.
Chimera uses cold storage using a lab grade refrigerator at 4C. Just above freezing so that seed doesn't experience the freeze/thaw cycles.
I made myself a seed storrage container that I can put in the refrigerator. I used an ammo can and insulated it with foam board insulation & E-Foil wrap (foil bubble wrap). The ammo cans temp inside does not fluctuate as much as the rest of the 'fridge.

brown_thumb

Freeze is best... IF... You have a freezer that does not auto defrost.
Auto defrost freezers add a year to a seeds life every time they thaw then freeze.
Chimera uses cold storage using a lab grade refrigerator at 4C. Just above freezing so that seed doesn't experience the freeze/thaw cycles.
I made myself a seed storrage container that I can put in the refrigerator. I used an ammo can and insulated it with foam board insulation & E-Foil wrap (foil bubble wrap). The ammo cans temp inside does not fluctuate as much as the rest of the 'fridge.

My storage is similar except I use an insulated bubble envelope instead of an ammo can. If my research convinces me to freeze instead of refrigerate then I'll definitely be using a frost-free freezer. If I protect the seeds in an insulated waterproof container (small ice chest) inside the freezer then the thaw cycles will have zero impact on the seeds.