What's new

Are Vortex Fans Still the best on the market?

S

silent_lemon

I am extremely pleased with my Soler & Palau fans.. having a small tent in the bedroom sound was my number one concern.. a 4" centrifugal from HTG sounded like a jet engine at night... replaced with 6" S&P and it's practically silent.
im with this feller, 6" SP and DIY muffler...or go bigger....diameter, they sell em

FIN!

Bulldog11

Veteran
What about Fan tec fans? I have always used them and one I have owned for 10 years now. I clean it and oil it and it works with almost no sound. I love it at least.

bluntt

i have a canfan whats wrong with it and how is the Vortex better i have 4in and comparing the two seems to me the the canfan have more power

BudGood

"Be shapeless, formless, like water..."
Veteran
bluntt, I have a canfan 6" HO, I've used it for years and I'll continue to use it, not a bad fan at all. As far as build quality, both are some of the best quality fans IMO. The Vortex has a 10 year warranty, the longest in the industry, which says alot about the companies (Atmosphere of Canada) faith in their product. I just recently acquired a new 6" Vortex, and I'm glad I bought it, it is NICE! But yeah, if I couldn't find a Vortex, I'd buy a CanFan again.

Oh, as far as sound goes, they're in a basement suspended from rubber heavyduty bungees, the majority of the sound is negated once the ducting is put on in my situation, but yeah, when the ducting is off, screaming banshee. :D

Bulldog11, I've never had one, but they seemed pretty nice, a friend has one, he's happy with it. Proper maintenance will make even the cheapest Harbor Freight crap stuff last longer, it will definitely make your higher quality fans last longer. Aren't Fantech made in Germany?

Wow, that is some truly interesting stuff! Nice find brother, who knows, this might be the future of fans! :yoinks:

Here is a pic and the article for anyone who doesn't want to leave IC:

Dyson launches the bladeless electric fan
By Paul Taylor
Published: October 13 2009 00:09 | Last updated: October 13 2009 00:09
First there was the bagless vacuum cleaner, then the towel-less hand dryer: Now James Dyson, the British inventor, has developed a bladeless electric fan which goes on sale on Tuesday in the US and Australia.

The Dyson Air Multiplier fan – which looks like something straight out of a sci-fi movie – uses advancements in airflow engineering instead of traditional blades to ‘multiply’ air 15 times and push out 119 gallons of smooth and uninterrupted air every second.

As a result, Dyson claims the bladeless fan, which works by forcing a jet of air out of a narrow circular slit and then over an aerofoil-shaped blade, is at least as efficient as its bladed counterpart, more comfortable and much safer.

Conventional electric fans have gone largely unchanged for years,” notes Mr Dyson. “The fundamental problem has remained the same for more than 125 years – the blades ‘chop’ the air creating an uneven airflow and unpleasant buffeting.”

Mr Dyson and his team of fluid dynamics engineers developed the technology behind the bladeless fan after studying the performance of an earlier Dyson invention, the Dyson Airblade commercial hand dryer that uses sheets of clean air travelling at 400mph to dry hands far more quickly and efficiently than rivals.

A team of fluid dynamics engineers spent four years running hundreds of simulations to precisely measure and optimise the machine’s circular aperture and airfoil-shaped ramp before perfecting Dyson’s Air Multiplier technology.

“We realised that this inducement, or amplification, effect could be further enhanced by passing airflow over a ramp,” says Mr Dyson. “And of course this was the point where the idea of a bladeless fan became a real possibility. Here was a way to create turbulent-free air and finally do away with blades.”

The new fan works by drawing air into the base of the machine. The air is forced up into the loop amplifier and accelerated through the 1.3mm annular aperture, creating a jet of air that hugs the airfoil-shaped ramp. While exiting the loop amplifier, the jet pulls air from behind the fan into the airflow (inducement). At the same time, the surrounding air from the front and sides of the machine are forced into the air stream (entrainment), amplifying it 15 times. The result is a constant uninterrupted flow of cooling air.

The Dyson Air Multiplier is powered by an energy efficient brushless motor and air speed can be precisely adjusted with a dimmer switch. It will be available in two sizes, a 10-inch model costing $300 and a 12-inch model costing $330.

:wave:

Last edited:

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
Sick! That dyson works out to about 960 CFM, but it doesn't say if that's a 10" or 12" model. I wonder how quiet it is.

C

CannabisSativa

Never used a vortex, but I use this model from hydrofarm:

image.php

400 CFM and its not that loud. I have it in a closet next to my room...sounds like a bathroom vent fan. I also have it hanging from the wall using industrial strength bungee cords, so that removes any type of vibration. I would love to hear a vortex.

gus738

i too live in a condo and i dont want to hear my neighbor complain about noise. i have surround sound in my garage but the fans will be always on 24/365

B

BrnCow

Put a damn speed control on that fan and run it just fast enough that you feel warm air coming off the lights and all will be quieter and well...

watts

ohms
Veteran
I want the new 10 inch Phresh hyper fan. It has built in speed controller and the highest CFM in it's class (10 inch) and uses the least amount of electricity.

szachtb2

Max fans are true cfm ratings at a 1.2 static pressure rating. Which is typical for a properly ducted circuit. All other companiew publish a blow thru rating. All cfm ratings not equal.