What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

are these flouros ok for veg??

crunks

are these flouros weak ?? or will they work ok??? i bought these @ home depot last year....

1213flouro1-med.jpg

1213flouro_info-med.jpg

if they are decent? how long can you veg for on flouros?? untill you want to sex?? or desired height?? i usually used my 400w to veg but it was too hot and too costly

G

guest123

flouros can be excellent for vegin and avoiding the problems you had previously ... there are some new compact ones on the market now too that look fantastic .... less heat , less watts and still great performance .... go for it ...

KRS Juan

That ballast is perfect for veg. I dont know what bulbs your using, but you want T12-40w or t12-34w. One cool one warm is what I use in each ballast. You can use flouro's for the entire veg period if you like. The really nice thing about flouro's is you can keep them within 2 inches of the plants without a problem. Keep in mind that even though those bulbs are 4ft, only the middle 2ft to 3ft produce good light. You may want to pick up some compact flouros and put them around the sides of the plants.

-KRS Juan-

crunks

thanks krs...ill use this and get a compact kit also...and ill use it for veg....thanks for your info *_*_*GREEETZ*_*_*

Robhpx13

hey, HO flouros are bomb...... dont be discouraged about less lumen output, with direct contact on plant, there's also a lot less "lumen output loss". Lumen count on an hps is usually at bulb discharge. But actual lumen loss is between 40%-50% aprox. a foot away.....this means your actually getting the same amount of light contact at "3 for less wattage used. along with cooler temps in rooms, and an equal light distrubution along your garden. The negatives are most of the new H.O's are now hitting the market pretty hard so theres a lot of name throwing in there, so shop around for price.... also you might want to get a book on plant light reflection %, different lights put out different colors and plants only recieve certain ones.

G

told you flours work........:D :D ... go for it crunks..... i'd like to see how those thing manage vegging. but your still gona be starting from seeds right?

if so does flours work for sprouting seedlins or do you still need something with some power?

SohcDutch

Robhpx13

the flouros that you got from home depot are different then H.O floro's......the T12 version cant put out as many lumens, but at the highest at 3000 lums(i think), its still pretty powerful considering the value your getting.....they really arent that bad if you have a ton of them. make sure you buy the light ecspecially made for plants!!

Heycrunks!

I've been doing my vegging under flouros...

Four 40 watt tubes... two are "cool" light and the other 2 are "daylight" bulbs... And I swear, each plant grows plenty every time I check on them! :D

So YES, flouro's work JUST FINE for veg, IMO! :)

I put two pics here... they are of are a very stinky clone that Aquaman hooked me up with. :)

The pics were taken about TWO-THREE WEEKS apart... all the growth is done under flouro's... 24/0 cycle...

Wish I'd measured it when I got it, but it is now at 23 cm and 9.5 inches.

~Jazzy~

Click for Larger Image

Click for Larger Image

Last edited:

Robhpx13

they veg quicker then hps's and mh's, i think it has to do with the light it produces.....the trees ive seen are much stalkier then then the other "two"....But if you were to size them up in flowering I definitley give the nod to the hps and mh group, just for price alone....another plus for the floro is all the trees in your gargen are the same height all toghether, meaning you could purchase less stable strains if you know how to "train" well. Again though I use H.O floros....5000lums per bulb/ 14bulbs :D

sunnyside

Plant Manager
Veteran
Robhpx13 said:
they veg quicker then hps's and mh's, i think it has to do with the light it produces
you must have some fluro's on steroids!!! I've never seen fluro's outgrow a HID lamp. Never.

Robhpx13

my cams down it sucks!!! but I have the 3 tech 5h.o lights surrounding my plants(14 now....hopefully 7-8 later when flower).... the light on top has 6-5,000 lumen(2blue spec.) and the two lights hanging to the side at a slant, if you can imagine it in your head, are 4 bulb 5,000 lumen.....all are about 3 inches away from plants, so direct application of light if applied....all and all 70,000 lumens with no heat directly on my trees....my temp in my garden is at my whim, i'll shoot it down to 72 whenever!!! i live in a desert so temps could be a problem, and were....

crunks

i think im going to get a 400w MH instead...the money is the same...i saw some really nice high power flouros @ my local hydro shop today while iwas picking up supplies(heheheheheh ding ding) and they were 250..so fuck that ..im either getting a 400w or a 250w MH, with a nice hood and an exhaust fan...i cant seem to find good flouros...anyways im going to post pix of my supplies when its all rounded up..i left most of it in the car till its night time ..then i can lug it all out, check up later

crunks

its funny ill sit home for 6 hrs all day and no one will post...ill leave my house fr 6 hrs and all hell breaks loose ON MY THREAD!! NO LESss!!